• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuild for a performance oriented 6.5

How is it running? Can you keep running it and let it smoke for now? Rushing the new engine just opens the door for the future. I'd rather run it as a 7 cylinder than rush the new build.

It actually still seems to have good power. I was unloaded so that could be a different story with anything behind it, but I got on it a few times to see if it would have maybe cleared itself out and it still seemed to pull strong. But cruising along at low rpms it will rattle your teeth out. When I first noticed it was going up a small hill and I was cruising along at about 50 and the whole truck started shaking like a wheel, or multiple wheels, were getting ready to fall off the truck. That's when I noticed it pouring blue smoke out the exhaust.

Driving it home after that I could feel the miss at all rpms but was less noticeable at higher rpms and definitely got worse the lower the rpms or the more the engine was lugged. Boost was noticeably higher (a couple psi) too. Which is what made me think it jumped timing or had a valvetrain issue to begin with.

I just found a gooseneck I would like to buy too that's about 1 1/2 hrs away from me. And I have no ball for my gasser gooseneck hitch [emoji17]. Might just be borrowing my dads duramax for the time being....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd take the rockers off and have a look at the push rods also, might have a bent one..

I will probably tear it down a little further regardless. I'd like to find my issue before swapping the bolt on parts over to the new engine. I like to find the problem with cold hard mechanical evidence so I know said problem won't be transferred over to the new engine.

Did you try swapping in a known good PMD??? :D;):facepalm::shame:

Sorry to hear about the bad timing of this. I agree, it would be good to find the cause so you don't swap a bad part over. What are you reusing, injectors and rockers? That should be easy to check. You may have a nicely messed up piston you can put with Leo's :)

Yes, injectors, rockers and the pump. Rockers (on the driver side anyway) looked like they did the day I put them in. Nothing obvious wrong with them without pulling them off and looking over them. I know someone (maybe you?) had issues with the rockers binding somewhere, but I planned on checking all of that anyway before swapping them onto the new engine.

Maybe I'll be lucky and find a messed up valve, if that would be considered lucky.... But I have several sets of heads laying around, if that's what it happens to be, I can clean one of those up and slap it on there for the time being. Most likely won't be that "lucky", but you never know I guess. Hoping to dig into it a little more this afternoon.

Yes, injectors, rockers and the pump. Rockers (on the driver side anyway) looked like they did the day I put them in. Nothing obvious wrong with them without pulling them off and looking over them. I know someone (maybe you?) had issues with the rockers binding somewhere, but I planned on checking all of that anyway before swapping them onto the new engine.

Maybe I'll be lucky and find a messed up valve, if that would be considered lucky.... But I have several sets of heads laying around, if that's what it happens to be, I can clean one of those up and slap it on there for the time being. Most likely won't be that "lucky", but you never know I guess. Hoping to dig into it a little more this afternoon.

Yeah my rockers were binding, along with Leroy's. The side clearance is less than it should be. If you tighten them down without pushrods you can tell if they're ok or not.

Yeah, luck is relative at this point. Good luck, whatever that may be. :)

91c8ee255afad13f19d5c964c64b7d21.jpg

Looks like, as long as this is the only problem, I may be about as lucky as I can be.

Well, still looks like I am lucky. I decided to pull the head, for two reasons. 1)bc I don't have anything that I can attach to the cylinder to pressurize it to change the spring with the head still on 2) Bc I didn't want to risk changing the spring and still have a problem.

I decided it would be quicker to just pull the head and check everything out than it would be to either try to make a tool to connect the air compressor to the head or go and find someone who sells the connector. And then after all that still run the risk of having a blown out piston. So, after a couple hours, the head is pulled and it appears there is no other damage. And it ended up being the number 3 exhaust valve, not number one, which seemed odd. And I still don't know how it would have been blowing so much oil out of that side with only a bad spring. I haven't taken it apart yet, so I guess the seal could be torn. Either way, fingers crossed that just swapping the spring and maybe replacing a seal is all I will need to do to get it back up and running.

And on a side note, I forgot how bad it sucks to do head studs with the engine in the truck. Over half of my time was probably spent trying to unscrew every single stud back out of the block. People say there aren't enough bolts holding the heads on a 6.5, but after spending an hour +, I can tell you that there are plenty of bolts in our heads lol

b22d5f3cc7ced24f30b4e194ab12b518.jpg

454dd61c2558eb4b70eaf37b03d48fdb.jpg

May be hard to tell in the pictures, especially since I wiped the head off, but you can see a "ring" in the piston where the valve was hitting it and the exhaust valve was pretty well cleaned off compared to all the other valves.

Not that I can tell. It sits flush on the seat like it should and it looks like the stem is straight. I am running to my parents tonight to get my dads spring compressor so I can pull it apart. Should know for sure then.

Sounds like good news so far. I think if I was in your shoes I'd put it together if you find the head is ok. That's only because you're building the other engine. I don't know how long I'd trust that piston though...hmmm. Mine were just kissed by the valves like that one of yours is and I decided to change them just to be safe. It looks like you may just luck out and buy yourself some time on your rebuild!

Back