• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuild for a performance oriented 6.5

Ok, thanks guys. Looks like the P400 is the one I should go with since I have no usable core.

Sorry for the thread hijack. I might start my own once I get to tearing into mine to see what blew. I definitely will if I get a P400.

I know Leroy, but you never know when one can't see the forest through the trees

I have somewhere in the $3500 range in all the machine work, pistons and complete rebuild kit. I had a little more machining done than you might need so you could cut down on those costs. That also included resurfacing the heads and a complete valve job. The total that I will have in this build for everything would probably be enough for me to have been able to go out and buy a duramax and drop in the truck....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the head studs, lifters and lifter guides all installed, on one side, today........ But.... In light of talking about the amount of money I'm spending on this thing, I am going to be pulling the cam back out and sending it to R&D IDI Performance to have him grind a stage 1 cam that he designed for the Fords to "test" in a 6.5. Sounds like he's had pretty good results with it in the ford idi's so we'll see how it does in my engine.

67ef44814a6b783a87139c464ce0ef9e.jpg
1c08cc785ec7fa9855832d480ca1ee0b.jpg
823aa9c23eafb35451b43127b5683fe5.jpg
99746ea03245955a587fb886f36512c1.jpg
65de6953d354acd6853c486ddf1708cd.jpg
88f1159115b72a7483e4ef34985cfbf1.jpg

Looks good, new pistons? I use that Permatex for most of my gaskets.

We love guinea pigs.:D
Yes, new pistons. Was bored .020" over so it needed them.

And I like guinea pigs too, just prefer it not to be me lol

I use that permatex just about everything as well. Got that tube when I did my lt1 swap in my 89. Used it in place of the egr delete gasket, for the water pump, and in place of the header gaskets that always seem to leak. It's good stuff[emoji4]

I hope your cam experiment goes better than mine. Good luck and I'll be watching with interest.

You used the delta cam right? Hopefully I won't have any issues and it will work out well for me.... Sounds like he did quite a bit of work to get the cam he builds where it's at. Says his cam consistently makes around 2.3 to 1 torque vs hp with his cam vs 2:1 with the stock cam and it gives a much broader torque curve. He has the dyno numbers to back it. But, again, that's all with the Fords, so we are only assuming/hoping that it will translate to the same benefits in a 6.5.

I've regrettably came to the conclusion there isn't much room for improvement on the cam. I really hope you could come bask with the cam changes and prove my theory wrong.

Me too lol. Kind of like the porting. There I was saying I wasn't going to spend the time and money on messing with it but by all means someone else can take the time to do it and prove me wrong.... And then here I am trying out an untested cam in a 6.5 looking for something that has yet to be found with any other 6.5 cam. Funny how that works.......

You used the delta cam right? Hopefully I won't have any issues and it will work out well for me.... Sounds like he did quite a bit of work to get the cam he builds where it's at. Says his cam consistently makes around 2.3 to 1 torque vs hp with his cam vs 2:1 with the stock cam and it gives a much broader torque curve. He has the dyno numbers to back it. But, again, that's all with the Fords, so we are only assuming/hoping that it will translate to the same benefits in a 6.5.

Yeah it was the Delta 202 cam. I had light valve to piston contact even though I checked clearances with clay - so I'm still not sure why I had the problem. Like you I have the HS 1.6 rockers, so be sure to check your clearances very carefully. I have a stock cam back in it now and I don't notice it running much differently power wise. I hope it does work for you, it would be nice to have a cam option that actually does something.

One thing to keep in mind is the fords have longer strokes, might affect how the cam works. Best of luck to ya tho. Definitely awaiting the results.

Me too lol. Kind of like the porting. There I was saying I wasn't going to spend the time and money on messing with it but by all means someone else can take the time to do it and prove me wrong.... And then here I am trying out an untested cam in a 6.5 looking for something that has yet to be found with any other 6.5 cam. Funny how that works.......

I found an easy solution to that: no time or money. Simplifies things. :D

Well, my truck is prematurely down. Was driving it home earlier this week when it started missing really bad and blue smoking really bad. At first I thought maybe it jumped timing or had a rocker issue. After checking the fuel, changing filters and adjusting timing and having none of them have any affect (other than timing causing it to smoke even more and run worse), I decided to tear into it some. Listening to it, it sounded like it is making more noise on the driver side, so I tore it down and pulled that valve cover off. Everything appeared to be ok and tight. So I put it back on and hooked back up the pump and ran it without the intake on. This allowed me to see that the smoke was definitely coming from the driver side (could see it coming out of the crossover exhaust port in the center of the head). So with the advice from a knowledgeable pump guy, I started cracking injectors to see if the smoke stopped to determine which cylinder it was coming from.

After doing all the driver side injectors, I noticed that the most noticeable change was with the number one cylinder. It would smoke slightly less with the injector line loose and then smoke a lot more for a few seconds when I tightened it back down.

So I shut the truck off and went back to the engine and noticed that in and around the exhaust crossover it was covered in oil. So I'm assuming either a valve seal is blown out or the rings gave up on the number one cylinder. Either way, I don't think I'll be putting any money into fixing it considering I have my new engine waiting to be finished. So looks like I'm out of a truck for a while and will have to put a hurry up on getting the new engine together and in the truck.....

That sucks. Hate it when it suddenly needs to be done rather than taking your time.
Yep. And unfortunately I haven't needed the truck for much of the winter and now that I am going to start needing it more often, it decided to die. I blame my machine shop. This engine was supposed to be together and in the truck BEFORE winter. Instead I didn't get the engine back until smack dab in the middle of winter and with little time to work on it. Oh well. I guess such is life.

How is it running? Can you keep running it and let it smoke for now? Rushing the new engine just opens the door for the future. I'd rather run it as a 7 cylinder than rush the new build.

Back