• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuild for a performance oriented 6.5

I think Nate actually finishes his projects before he even starts a topic on said project. That way he can make it look like he's really fast, but in all reality he is just as slow as the rest of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You'll never know....

Updates!!

Ok, so not much has happened engine wise, but I have made some progress. But I ran into a bit of a snag.

So I was able to turn the injection pump gear a tooth and get timing close enough that I can now fine tune it with the adjustment at the pump. I don't think I will have to move the gear anymore, so I'm good there. Just need to do some test driving to fine tune it.

I have a couple fuel leaks I need to fix. One is at my fuel pressure sensor. I am assuming the diaphragm is bad and fuel is getting into the back side and coming out of the electrical terminal. Fairly easy fix. The other leak, as far as I can tell for now, is at the number 7 injector on the return line fitting that gets the rubber cap on it. It's on the back side so I can't really see it, but I thought it was the other one and redid it and it still leaks. I'm assuming the fuel is running around the injector and down the front right where the other return hose is connected. If it's not the capped side, then it's the injector itself leaking, which it shouldn't be bc it was rebuilt and only has a few thousand miles on it.

I also had time to change my headlights to better ones, redo some more wiring, clean some more wiring up (non engine related), and installed new chrome tow mirrors that have turn signals and marker lights. I did all of this while I was putting the grill and everything back onto the truck in hopes of being able to take it for a test drive. Which brings me to my "snag"

I have been unable to test drive the truck. I've let it run for a while a few times to check things (which is how I found the fuel leaks), but I've yet to take it down the road. The reason being my transmission controller somehow bit the dust. I got everything hooked up and went to set up the tps for it and it would not do it. It kept coming up with a tps code. The tps is ancient, so I figured it was probably bad. No big deal, I had another one laying around. So I plugged that into the controller and still nothing.

So now I figured I should start actually checking everything. The tps itself checked out good. The computer is sending a 5v signal to it. The computer is supplying a good ground to the sensor. And the signal wire is getting a good signal all the way back to the controller. So the only thing I can see left is that the controller is bad. I have no idea how it could have gone bad, it's a sealed unit under the hood on the firewall. It can't get moisture into it and it's not been physically damaged. It has the correct power and grounds that it needs and all the wiring seems to be good.

I've emailed tci three times with zero luck with getting a response. I tried calling and, of course, they were closed. I am going to try calling again tomorrow. The bad thing is that it only has a one year warranty and it's beyond that. The other bad thing is that any new controller is going to cost $600+. $600+ that I really don't want to spend when there is no reason this thing should be bad after only a few years and a few thousand miles. I beyond tired of dumping money into this and another $600, or more, for a controller...again...is not something I really want to spend money on...again....

So I'm hoping that, if I can actually get ahold of them, they will at least work with me a little. If that fails, I have someone who I've talked to that said he can tear it apart and see if he can locate any problems internally and repair it. And worse case, that I really really don't want to do, I guess I'll be buying another controller.... But for now I have a running engine but a useless truck stuck in 2nd gear limp home mode and what appears to be a $600 paper weight attached to my firewall.

On the bright side, I have some fancy new headlights that hopefully do more than just look good (like my last set) and cool new 2015^ look alike tow mirrors. So at least it looks good sitting in my driveway taking up space...

It's possible to reverse the plugs in the input and output speed sensors. It's dark under the truck after all as I am a good "bad example" of doing just that when I put the stall converter in.

Heat kills electronics so I would recommend mounting the controller somewhere cooler if possible. Capacitors appear to be a low life component nowadays and heat makes a accelerated life test end sooner. They are rated something like 2000 hours at max temperature of 105 degrees C. TV's, computer motherboards and power supplies, florescent electronic ballasts, Bose Wave Radios all suffer from short capacitor life. At least the exploded or leaking caps are easy to ID. Hopefully the leaking goo doesn't damage other things. Here is a more expensive 5000 hour rated cap.

It's possible to reverse the plugs in the input and output speed sensors. It's dark under the truck after all as I am a good "bad example" of doing just that when I put the stall converter in.

Heat kills electronics so I would recommend mounting the controller somewhere cooler if possible. Capacitors appear to be a low life component nowadays and heat makes a accelerated life test end sooner. They are rated something like 2000 hours at max temperature of 105 degrees C. TV's, computer motherboards and power supplies, florescent electronic ballasts, Bose Wave Radios all suffer from short capacitor life. At least the exploded or leaking caps are easy to ID. Hopefully the leaking goo doesn't damage other things. Here is a more expensive 5000 hour rated cap.

I haven't touched the wiring for the tcu. The only thing that was unhooked was the crank sensor wiring for the tach input. The power and ground were also disconnected when I changed the battery. Everything else stayed plugged in the same as it was when the tcu was functioning properly.

I thought about heat being a factor as well. I mounted it on as far to the driver side as I could on the firewall. It is on the outside of the brake booster. The instructions actually recommend it being mounted on the firewall. Probably bc they know heat will burn it up so they get to sell more of them....

I've spent since Sunday trying to get ahold of tci. Their customer service is the worst I have ever seen. No email responses, no one to answer calls, no responses on their live chat, and even no one on their Facebook page to respond.

After three emails through their website, 4 attempts at live chat, 5 phone calls with two voicemails left, a message on Facebook messenger and a fourth email to the email listed on their Facebook page, I was able to get a small hint of people existing on the other end. Their Facebook people finally responded and said they were at a meeting all morning. They informed me that there are only a couple tech people available so sometimes it takes some time to get in contact with them (I've spent 5 days attempting contact). But they said they would get into contact with their tech guys and have them get ahold of me. They also said they would "look into" the lack of response to my emails and such. Seeing all the negative feedback on their Facebook page ALL of which had to do with poor customer service, I don't see them resolving their issues anytime soon.

But anyway, I finally received an email from one of the tech guys saying that he's been informed of my situation and wants to help take care of my problem. I emailed him back my issues.... I'm still waiting on the reply‍♂️

I've spent since Sunday trying to get ahold of tci. Their customer service is the worst I have ever seen. No email responses, no one to answer calls, no responses on their live chat, and even no one on their Facebook page to respond.

After three emails through their website, 4 attempts at live chat, 5 phone calls with two voicemails left, a message on Facebook messenger and a fourth email to the email listed on their Facebook page, I was able to get a small hint of people existing on the other end. Their Facebook people finally responded and said they were at a meeting all morning. They informed me that there are only a couple tech people available so sometimes it takes some time to get in contact with them (I've spent 5 days attempting contact). But they said they would get into contact with their tech guys and have them get ahold of me. They also said they would "look into" the lack of response to my emails and such. Seeing all the negative feedback on their Facebook page ALL of which had to do with poor customer service, I don't see them resolving their issues anytime soon.

But anyway, I finally received an email from one of the tech guys saying that he's been informed of my situation and wants to help take care of my problem. I emailed him back my issues.... I'm still waiting on the reply‍♂️

That really sucks man. When I had a question with the install of my US Shift controller I got through right away and had a guy working with me real-time. I'm sorry you're having such a tough time.

Wow. They spend tens of thousands on advertising trying to push their transmissions and trans support equipment and have service like that?!?

I get they dont need a ton of people all the time, but that is inexcusable. I am about 1 year away from a transmission. I prefer dropping in a complete unit, and honestly was planning on a tci from summit because of descent reputation and no headache of researching anything else. If they dont 100% square you up, toot sweet, They are out. 99.9% out now.

What if you had just bought it 1 week ago and it is your only way of getting to work or IS your work? A guy is just stuck waiting?!? BS! They wouldn't know you were in warranty or not because they cant even get back to you. Is that a company I want to buy from? Wth are they thinking? Some executive making decisions who doesn't understand what his customers do or go through because his white collar doesn't turn a wrench him/herself. Dollar to a donut: the person deciding customer service issues doesn't drive or even own a modified rig. Yet they probably hold meetings once every 3 months to talk about how could they increase their market share. Here is a clue- quit pissing off the customers you already have, give them proper service-QUICKLY- and let them help you sell instead of sharing stories of delayed response that hasn't been acceptable since the Pony Express.

Update!!

Husker was correct. Have been waiting on TCI this whole time. After extremely slow emailing back and forth, I was told it would be replaced or repaired. They said they would send someone out to pick it up(??) and wanted my address. I gave them the info and never heard anything back for about a week. I started emailing again with no responses. I tried their online chat again and got into contact with someone. He said the guy I had been dealing with was gone for the day (it was a Friday) but he would make sure things were taken care of on the following Monday.

Monday came and went with no communication. So on that Tuesday, I did the live chat again after several attempts with no responses, I was finally able to get into contact with the guy I talked to the previous Friday. He hadn’t done anything he said he would (go figure), but promised he would take care of it right then. To make sure, I went back to their Facebook page, gave a crappy review and then got into contact with their people running their Facebook page again. They said they would make sure it was taken care of as well and wanted me to send all the emails to some other email address so they could see what’s been going on (I saved all my communication with these people as proof of their $hitty customer service).

A few hours after that I got an email from the guy I had been dealing with all along and said he had ordered the pick up and also ordered a new module since it has taken so long on everything. But..... they had none in stock and none built and their was a waiting list. But he was putting me on the top of the list....

A few days later UPS showed up and took my module. Still nothing on the new one though. With fears of getting the shaft, I “patiently” waited 10 days after my last contact with TCI without ever receiving the module or any info on whether or not they would be shipping it out or when it would be shipped. On the 10th day, I emailed, with no response. On the 11th day, which would have been a week ago yesterday, he emailed me saying that it was almost ready and I should be getting it within a couple business days.

Surprisingly, last Tuesday, I came home to find a UPS sticker on my front door saying they tried delivering a package from TCI, but it had to be signed for. So I signed the sticker and on Wednesday, I finally had the new module. So Wednesday night I installed it, reinstalled the tps, and set everything up and by dark I was able to take it for a test drive.

Sorry, there was going to be a second update after the first one last night but my son came in and wanted to play.

Truck ran good. It shifted as it’s supposed to. It’s been so long since I last drove the truck that I honestly can’t say how much, if any, difference the few changes did. I feel like the boost comes on a little quicker and egts are lower, but that’s based off of what I remember from a year ago lol. It is a huge jump in power over my gas truck. I forgot what it was like to have so much power in a truck. I drove it to work the rest of the week, putting about 75 miles on it before I had to hook a trailer to it...

Over the weekend I had to move a bunch of round bales and bring my tractor back home, so the last 30 miles or so that I’ve driven it has had a 4000lb gooseneck hooked to it. With they hay and tractor, I hauled roughly 8,000-11,000 lbs, including the trailer, with the truck over the weekend. Egts stayed in check, temps were normal, no real issues.

The only thing that has happened is an issue with the wastegate. It’s a little hard to explain without a visual, so I’ll explain it once I get some pictures. But basically a piece pops off where it is mounted and allows the wastegate to open so I lose most of my boost. It’s only happened once while driving, but it came off several times while I was installing the turbo. In all honesty, I don’t see how it even stays on in the first place. But I’ll get some pictures so you all can see what I’m talking about.

Until then, here’s a couple pictures of the truck hauling some of the hay and my tractor.

3fd5fd2225dc3c829f37448b05fc62ab.jpg
7e42213370f7130d2e0654c286e3abc8.jpg
b9cb43ed07381172c25d88aa932f35fd.jpg

Last edited:
Once I get some more time on it, maybe some longer distance towing, I can give some more input on anything I notice that may be different with the upgrades. It really stinks that it’s been down for so long. I was really looking forward to seeing a difference with the cam, rockers and center mount setup. I’m so use to my gas truck now that it seems like it’s a huge jump in power, but I can’t say with a definite yes that it is more than it was before. I will say it has a different tone at idle. Almost has a lope to it and a deeper exhaust note. And as mentioned, it seemed to build boost earlier and quicker. Maybe someday I’ll get it on a dyno and get some real numbers on it. For now though I’m just trying to get some miles on it and make sure everything’s going to work as it should.

So the other night I started rereading this thread from the beginning. I started out looking for a picture but ended up skimming through everything just to kind of see what all we've talked about and how things have progressed over the last TWO YEARS lol.

Anyway, while reading some of the comments I posted replying to some of you guys with suggestions or questions, I realize that some of them come across as kind of a$$hole-ish. When I responded, I didn't mean for them to come out like that, and everyone might not take them that way, but reading through them now, I can see how they could be taken that way. So I want to clear that up. If I responded to any of you and it seemed like I was being an ass, it was unintentional and not meant to sound that way. I appreciate all the info and suggestions you all put out there. I know there are things that we all have different ideas or opinions on, but I really take all the ideas/suggestions/opinions in and it all really does help. There's a lot of smart people here with a lot of great info, so I don't want anyone to feel like I'm brushing you off and end up losing some of the great input I get from you guys. I really do appreciate it all!

So I've been away from the group since about 2013, One thing going through my mind is how when I proposed/created this 6.5 performance section how some members then rebuked me for it saying I was de-railing their commentary from the 6.5 community "hiding their comments in an area less visited than the main 6.5 daily my X is broken what do I need to do; well guys awesome work here I'm like trying to drink from a fire hose with the "good stuff" I'm reading and nearing cranial overload trying to absorb it.

Tim from another Tim here :)

I don't recall meeting you before when I was one of the "regulars" here, (I may have but me being just shy of 59 more common for me to fergit than ber-memberstuff) but good solid work before I'm into page 18 of this journey I have yet to come across something for you to be apologizing for, your 6.5 passion is throughout here or should I say the Love/Hate of of us 6.5 enthusiasts have, again good reading material.

Now back to your story I just felt compelled to stop for a moment here and say that, looking to see how it all turned out. FWIW my "project engine" was a 4 year journey to get the engine built and installed I'm still not quite finished, your work here has convinced me of that.

Once I get some more time on it, maybe some longer distance towing, I can give some more input on anything I notice that may be different with the upgrades. It really stinks that it’s been down for so long. I was really looking forward to seeing a difference with the cam, rockers and center mount setup. I’m so use to my gas truck now that it seems like it’s a huge jump in power, but I can’t say with a definite yes that it is more than it was before. I will say it has a different tone at idle. Almost has a lope to it and a deeper exhaust note. And as mentioned, it seemed to build boost earlier and quicker. Maybe someday I’ll get it on a dyno and get some real numbers on it. For now though I’m just trying to get some miles on it and make sure everything’s going to work as it should.

Ok I show back up to TTS in July 2020 all p-syked to get to the end of the story here only to see that last post is Oct. 2017 ???? LONG OVERDUE for an update I'm thinking :)

Ok I show back up to TTS in July 2020 all p-syked to get to the end of the story here only to see that last post is Oct. 2017 ???? LONG OVERDUE for an update I'm thinking :)
Tim hasn't been on here in a while, but maybe he'll see your posts. He sold the truck to his dad, so he doesn't own it, but still has visitation rights :)

Back