• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuild for a performance oriented 6.5

Some ideas , drill a hole in the block above the lifters for the oil return or get another right side valve cover and use the breather hole for return or use an older oil pump drive and return to where the vacuum pod is mounted .

I had considered doing something with the valve cover. I didn't think about just using a passenger side one, that would have been pretty simple to do. I also thought about doing something with the pump drive, but I was thinking about trying to modify the one I already have. Considering both of my ideas needed more modifying than the suggestions you gave, I had decided to stick with the original return out of convenience. The valve cover would probably still be an easy option, but I've already talked with Leroy and am getting some parts to make his return work for it. If I do another build like this (actually thinking of doing one for a cab and chassis truck), I may try the valve cover. Less hose to travel through that way for sure. If I come across any problems with trying it the way I'm doing now, that will most likely be the route I will go with this one as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More updates. I got "most" of my stuff ordered to finish this thing up. I forgot about the block heater, so I ordered it today. I also ordered a new exhaust flange for the turbo, some 3" piping and a v band clamp and flanges. As mentioned, I got everything figured out with Leroy on the oil drain as well. It should work, but I'll know once I get it all and bolt it up. I also found my tap for the pyrometer, just need to pick up a drill bit and then I'll install it. I really want to drop this thing in, but I'm going to patiently wait for all the parts lol. I don't want to make installing the block heater a difficult job by dropping the engine in first when it's sitting on a stand now...

The only thing I haven't found is a dipstick tube for the transmission. Junkyards are few and far between around here now and none of the ones around have what I need. I'm not sure if a gas van would have the same dipstick as the 6.5 version does, but I'm tempted to maybe just try and see. Otherwise, I may be just trying to modify mine to make it work.

The list of things I have left include: harmonic balancer, pyrometer bung, block heater, bolt the ip gear on and install oil fill, turbo oil drain, heat wrap on the exhaust and one final test fit with everything installed. Then the flywheel and it will be ready to drop in. I'll have some modifications in the engine bay that will need done, mainly wiring, exhaust and fuel, but I don't think any of it should take too much to take care of. Hopefully all my parts will be here and on by this weekend and it will be ready to drop in.

That one is for the truck, I need one for a van. Since I am running the centermount, the factory dipstick will hit the up pipe. Since the vans come with a centermount setup, the dipstick tube will be designed to clear the factory up pipe, which hopefully means it would clean mine...and also hopefully clear everything else.

Oh, Sorry about that. I didn't think about you having to have a dipstick from a van.

Yeah, I tried to find one too. Currently have to remove my doghouse to check trans. A 96 or newer hummer should work also. Leroy (@Burning oil ) can order GEP stuff, not sure if he can get that from GEP.

When you find a solution, do you mind posting it? I might swap mine also. I would really like the one made for deep water fording, but $$$$.

Not looking like all the parts will be here this weekend. Everything I ordered on Monday will be here, but a couple things I have been working on getting ordered since last weekend are going extremely slow for some reason. I'm not even sure when they will eventually get sent out my way as I've not even been able to pay for them yet. Leroy is looking into the dipstick tube for me, waiting to hear back on that. Hopefully I will be able to drop the engine in without the couple of parts I'll be missing, they should be fairly easy to install with the engine in the truck. The block heater is the biggest thing I wanted to have before installing the engine and it looks like I will have that tomorrow.

Have you found out if a dipstick from a gas van would work? I just stopped by a junkyard to look around and found a gas van with the dipstick still in it. I will come back and take it out if it would work for you.

Have you found out if a dipstick from a gas van would work? I just stopped by a junkyard to look around and found a gas van with the dipstick still in it. I will come back and take it out if it would work for you.
I am not sure if it would or not. My assumption would be that it would. GM is usually pretty good about using the same parts for multiple vehicles. I don't see why they would change it from one engine to another in the same vehicle. But I could be wrong, have been before about things I've been more sure about lol

I went to the junkyard just to see if they had any 6.5s or any truck parts I could use. They had had a couple trucks, subarbans and Tahoes, but none that were 6.5s. They don't normally have that many of our body style out there. It surprised me how many they did have.

If you want to try the dipstick just pm me your address and I'll put it in the mail. It would be Monday before I could get back there though. It's a "pick your own parts" yard so they are pretty cheap on their stuff.

I found a 6.5 van at the yard by me today. I'm not sure if it would work for you or not - it starts on the passenger side, then goes around the turbo to the driver side then once past the intake goes back over to the passenger side. It ends way forward and up pretty high since it's a van and there is limited frontal access. I'm not sure what you can make out in the pics, but here you go:IMG_9217.JPGIMG_9218.JPGIMG_9219.JPGIMG_9220.JPGIMG_9221.JPG

I also took a video. Excuse the terrible narration.

I got a shock the other day, I went to a pickem yArd and they had ONE 6.5 diesel.

I guess during the winter they crushed all the trucks and vans,....he says more will come in, but ya lol I was sad to see that...

Could have been a former Ferd engineer, too. Could have been his one and only "better idea"!

Well, she's in.

I got a few things bolted down. It looks like everything should clear. It might be tight, but I think it will fit. It was a bear to get in. Bc of the tight clearances, the driver side manifold was a snug fit and kept hitting the firewall. It took a little coaxing and tilting the engine backwards quite a bit, but it eventually slipped right into place. It would be much easier without the driver side manifold on, but since it was already on there was no sense in taking it off.

I am currently working on cleaning up some of the wiring. Tomorrow the last few parts should be here and I should be able to get it just about finished up depending on how long the wiring takes and if I can get my dipstick to work.

438f5b0261d993a0d17932ac6de560d1.jpg
b88f01220fa907e0e9ba100d7569484f.jpg

Back