• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Quality drill bits????

Nosferatu49534

Reaction score
I've been using the left over drill bits from my dads business that he would buy random here and there. I'm wondering if you guys have a recommendation on a good set? I want real quality that will lasr, if it's possible. My head is spinning from the different sets in Amazon and the crazy amount of reviews saying this set is good and then some one saying the same set is horrible.

I have yet to find good set's that are affordable. Even the expensive ones I have bought have been disappointing. I started buying volume over quality, just resharpen or toss. Maybe I'm expecting to much from a drill bit.

Kobalts from Mac tools. The set is expensive to buy.
But they are lifetime warranty against breaking, so when they do pop, swap them with your mac tools guy, or you can buy online mactools.com or
1-800 MAC-TOOL
When they break or wont take an edge anymore if you over heat them, you can mail them in for warranty.

On top of the warranty, they are simply great quality. There are some things I sold when I was a mac tool guy that my service was the only reason the price was worth it. But the quality of their drill bits, and deburring tools, also lifetime, that even without the lifetime warranty made it worth it.

Kobalts from Mac tools. The set is expensive to buy.
But they are lifetime warranty against breaking, so when they do pop, swap them with your mac tools guy, or you can buy online mactools.com or
1-800 MAC-TOOL
When they break or wont take an edge anymore if you over heat them, you can mail them in for warranty.

On top of the warranty, they are simply great quality. There are some things I sold when I was a mac tool guy that my service was the only reason the price was worth it. But the quality of their drill bits, and deburring tools, also lifetime, that even without the lifetime warranty made it worth it.
I'll check them out. Thanks. [emoji3]

I like Mac tools, happen to have a few of them too. LOL

For drill bits, I got a drill bit doctor. That is a nice too and I have no more dull drill bits.
If a bit breaks or gets dull, it takes about two minutes to get it shaped back up again.

I had an early version and it wasn't so hot. It wouldn't grind enough relief to the back of the cutting edge. Kinda made me leary of buying a newer one.

I SUUUUCCCKK at sharpening bits. I use drill dr, and when a friend that was good at it showed me- use the drill dr, then just use 1 of many option to open up the relief on back a hair more. That part of the job even I don’t mess up.
Now if you are drilling with it at optimum speed vs pressure- where you cut and get the metal to coil coming off it- the relief the drill dr gives is fine. But as the amazing machinists I have worked with will tell you, I tend to go grizzly with it so... yeah the extra relief cut helps me-

And no, sharpening your own bits does not void Mac warranty.

Greenlee brand are good too. Or something from a good machinist supply.
I have had fairly good results with a Dewalt set of bits I got in a promo sale a few years back that have the pilot bit from 3/16 and up.
But lube and speeds and feeds are still as important as always.

Anything is better than nothing.
Regular cutting oil can be bought at most parts stores though.
I dont use much cutting oil unless I`m going through steel with a hole saw, then I use plenty, of whatever is in the squirt can at the time. LOL

Rust, heavy mill scale and weld/torch slag will mow through the best drills around. Proper feeds and speeds on clean material and you drill set will last you a long time. Better to go slower on SFPM than faster.

A quality US Made HSS black oxide jobber length fractional set 1/16" to 1/2" will do most jobs.

I find split points are more trouble than they're worth and makes them a throw away unless you are good (real good) at re grinding.

Rust, heavy mill scale and weld/torch slag will mow through the best drills around. Proper feeds and speeds on clean material and you drill set will last you a long time. Better to go slower on SFPM than faster.

A quality US Made HSS black oxide jobber length fractional set 1/16" to 1/2" will do most jobs.

I find split points are more trouble than they're worth and makes them a throw away unless you are good (real good) at re grinding.
That is what is nice about the drill Doctor, puts the split points right back like original.

I tried regrinding a couple bits. Needless to say I am not "real good" at it at all... [emoji27]

Back