• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Quality drill bits????

Those drill doctors always seemed like a toy to me but hey if they work (or can get them to work to suit) they might be worth the money. Thought I remember seeing a 3/4" capacity version, dunno if it's still available. Would like to try one before I buy..

Right now I use Greenfield Chicago Latrobe split jobbers in titanium nitride coating. This set has been good. Bout a 10 year old set. Fractional 1/16-1/2. I buy the bigger stuff 'as needed'.

Yeah, there is 2 drill dr sizes.
Just shop around where you buy it that will allow return if you dont like it. Like we have learned an many things before, quality sometimes improves and sometimes worsens. Could be drill dr like my truck ramps- i got lucky and got them during the “good” time of manufacturing.

I used to be pretty good at sharpening bits on a bench grinder. Now-a-days I suck.

I bought a drill doc and suck at that also. I have about 3 quart cans of dull drill bits.

I have had good luck with the gold bits from Fastenal. And I think the other brand I used was Norse.

For stainless I always trigger the drill. It keeps the bit from heating up. You just apply pressure and trigger the drill on and off

As soon as you spin a bit in stainless it is smoked. In softer steels you have to be careful of to much pressure. It'll grab and break the bit

I've always used Anchor Lube for stainless.

I had decent luck with used anti-freeze/coolant. You about need a bath to use that stuff. Almost has to be a constant flow

Those drill doctors always seemed like a toy to me but hey if they work (or can get them to work to suit) they might be worth the money. Thought I remember seeing a 3/4" capacity version, dunno if it's still available. Would like to try one before I buy..

Right now I use Greenfield Chicago Latrobe split jobbers in titanium nitride coating. This set has been good. Bout a 10 year old set. Fractional 1/16-1/2. I buy the bigger stuff 'as needed'.
There is another adapter to fit the big bits into, works the same as the one that comes with the drill doctor.

There's other jigs/guides for sharpening on a bench grinder, anyone tried one of those?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

We had some around the shop about 40 years ago. Back then I could see and my hands didn't shake. LOL

The grinder jigs seemed like more trouble than they were worth. Back then we could all sharpen pretty good free handing.

We had some around the shop about 40 years ago. Back then I could see and my hands didn't shake. LOL

The grinder jigs seemed like more trouble than they were worth. Back then we could all sharpen pretty good free handing.
Free hand is still what I do, the Drill Doctor was used once on my small bits. I had to sharpen them all again by hand. I just use stronger cheater glasses.

Back