• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Quality drill bits????

Maybe turning the wrong way. Or in upside down. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I once witnessed a guy ruin a new drill bit I had just given him.

I was outside the grain bin, heard him cussing and watched the side of the bin start glowing red and finally the bit popped through. He had pushed hard enough to get the 5/16 or 21/64 bit through the 10 ga. bottom ring in reverse.

He was never known to be the sharpest tool.

I don't have a way to do pictures. Mine is the old style with two small flats on the collets, and when the bit is locked into the collet, the heel of the flute ( the cutting edge is the front and follow the bevel back to the heel) should be centered on an imaginary line down through the middle of one of those flats.

Looking for drill bits again.
The made in the USA, Norseman drill bits are what I used to buy. They're rebranded under many names.
The good Fastenal and Lawson bits were Norseman
I used to buy 10 packs.

These 5/32 seem a little pricey, or am I just out of touch?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking for drill bits again.
The made in the USA, Norseman drill bits are what I used to buy. They're rebranded under many names.
The good Fastenal and Lawson bits were Norseman
I used to buy 10 packs.

These 5/32 seem a little pricey, or am I just out of touch?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Unfortunately, that is a good price under bidenomics.

I always promote MAC TOOLS - they have life time warranty on drill bits, die grinder burrs, etc. sounds crazy but they do.
Just call the number- 1 800 mac tools and they can sell and warranty without having a regular tool guy. Whenever you need warranty always tell them to give you a shipping label- you should not have to pay for shipping under warranty.

Unfortunately, that is a good price under bidenomics.

I always promote MAC TOOLS - they have life time warranty on drill bits, die grinder burrs, etc. sounds crazy but they do.
Just call the number- 1 800 mac tools and they can sell and warranty without having a regular tool guy. Whenever you need warranty always tell them to give you a shipping label- you should not have to pay for shipping under warranty.
When I checked MAC, it looked like they were about 4x the price.

Did I get the price wrong?

I have been told that cobalt bits are about the best. our Napa used to sell bits made by Forney which were really good. they weren't a expensive as MAC but got the job done. they even sold left handed bits that were a nice thing to have!

When I checked MAC, it looked like they were about 4x the price.

Did I get the price wrong?
Idk the price anymore- but not even body guys or fabricators had to buy in 5 packs from me when I was the Mac distributor. 3 bits broken in a week was unheard of. So most heavy users bought 2 sets. Every week I stopped by, swapped the broken and gave them their crack…er chrome addiction. Haha. Yes I am a chrome addict too.

Being under warranty- you dont keep buying them and if you do work them hard and brake one a week- you only need to buy a few to own and never pay again.

I would DEFINITELY get it in writing that they are still lifetime warranty- many places like craftsman has changed up their warranty over time. So it is possible they get crooked.
Also you can find out the distributor in your area and maybe set up occasional meeting place- like Joe’s garage around 10:30 on Tuesdays- But understand warranty tools cost him cashflow, profit, time so be understanding when they wanna hussle off and dont be window shopping on the truck if not seriously interested.

Idk the price anymore- but not even body guys or fabricators had to buy in 5 packs from me when I was the Mac distributor. 3 bits broken in a week was unheard of. So most heavy users bought 2 sets. Every week I stopped by, swapped the broken and gave them their crack…er chrome addiction. Haha. Yes I am a chrome addict too.

Being under warranty- you dont keep buying them and if you do work them hard and brake one a week- you only need to buy a few to own and never pay again.

I would DEFINITELY get it in writing that they are still lifetime warranty- many places like craftsman has changed up their warranty over time. So it is possible they get crooked.
Also you can find out the distributor in your area and maybe set up occasional meeting place- like Joe’s garage around 10:30 on Tuesdays- But understand warranty tools cost him cashflow, profit, time so be understanding when they wanna hussle off and dont be window shopping on the truck if not seriously interested.
I have maybe 12 still indexes, including 3 of the letter, number and fraction indexes.
At times we had up to 8 people using the indexes.
Mostly went through 5/32, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2 and 7/16.
I haven't replenished my supply in several years. I have a bag of 5/32, but not jobber length. We used a lot of stubbies.
There were times when the drills were running 16 hours times at least 3. Or the equivalent there of.
I don't know any body guys that have done that much drilling.

Back