• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pseudo-Resto 96 K-1500…Um, when was this a good idea?

So, I R confused. Are you running the stock ffm for the 30 micron and then running a separate 2 micron after? Or just doing FTB on the backup unit that will sit on the shelf?

Just doing the FTB on the backup unit that will sit on the shelf. Me being bored...again. I didn't know if I could source all the stuff for the other filter set up locally. Moot point since I ran out of daylight running other errands. No worries, someone will need the FFM and now it is FTB ready. Who knows, I could put it on the Suburban...hmmm

Fun fact is that I still have the old brass "T" that I initially used on the 96 before going to the bling thing with lines. Like you, my mom was depression era...nothing got thrown away. I'm not a hoarder, there's just not much that gets tossed like the OEM fuel and transmission lines, oil pan, valve covers, exhaust manifolds (even the one ground down too far by the "professional auto racing shop" was re-purposed)...sometimes it seems like a sickness, other times, its a blessing.

Fun fact is that I still have the old brass "T" that I initially used on the 96 before going to the bling thing with lines. Like you, my mom was depression era...nothing got thrown away. I'm not a hoarder, there's just not much that gets tossed like the OEM fuel and transmission lines, oil pan, valve covers, exhaust manifolds (even the one ground down too far by the "professional auto racing shop" was re-purposed)...sometimes it seems like a sickness, other times, its a blessing.
My dad was depression era. He had a lot of stuff socked away, everything but money.
I now am that way. I have three sheds, all stocked full of used auto parts that I`ve scrounged from all over. I`m forever going to a shed and hauling out a component to make repairs on something. LOL

Imo a horder is someone who saves everything and it just turns into a trash pile. Saving good parts that get used later is not hording. The key is, does it actually get used or is it just sitting for years. Also a trap I have seen some people get into was spending money on storage costs that negate the savings on keeping used parts.

I will save many parts I can get my hands on-
but if it stays around too long, it is gone unless it is a rare part/ can’t be bought new.

Imo a horder is someone who saves everything and it just turns into a trash pile. Saving good parts that get used later is not hording. The key is, does it actually get used or is it just sitting for years. Also a trap I have seen some people get into was spending money on storage costs that negate the savings on keeping used parts.

I will save many parts I can get my hands on-
but if it stays around too long, it is gone unless it is a rare part/ can’t be bought new.
YUP, parts were mostly free or at scrap prices. TBI units from OBD1, ECMs, wire harnesses, MG parts, SB chevy components, differentials, transmissions, T-Cases, even a brand spanking new set of front fenders for a SB Chevy pickup, original OEM units.
I guess I should sort through a bunch of that stuff, sell what I can, store what I might need and scrap the rest. No money spent on storage other than the propitty taxes which I`d have to pay anyway.
I could fix that old shack up and rent it out, it would not be a nice enough unit to draw in the kind of renter I would want to be My neighbor though, more in the slum Lord class. LOL
I do plan on doing the TBI swap on the 78 K20 with the 400 V8, also the 59 Power Wagon, thats why I scrounged so much in the TBI line of items.

i save stuff too and am planning on going on a scrap run this tuesday. brass, aluminum, condensers and stainless. saving the copper for a higher price.

i save stuff too and am planning on going on a scrap run this tuesday. brass, aluminum, condensers and stainless. saving the copper for a higher price.
I have a pile of old lead covered copper telephone wire, every once in a while I`ll haul in some of that, cut around the lead, pull it off the copper and burn off the paper insulation. When copper prices was up, I hauled in 150 pounds. LOL
I save the lead for casting bullets for the BP rifles and pistols and for making sinkers/fishing weights. I think there must be a ton under the work bench. LOL

Yeah, I’m going all safety sally here because I have had friends die from cancer from 1of those 2...

At least use a respirator when burning, and gloves handling the copper after burning. Burning the copper is a common one known that the fumes are way toxic, but most don’t know that toucking the burned copper with bare skin allows absorption through the pores ans will do both skin cancer at the location and the heavy metal issues inside the body. The safety training I’ve gone through back when I was working as electrician rewiring partial burned houses on a city contract showed only metal in fire worse than copper is lead outside radioactive crap.

Same thing for the lead. I had several 5 gallon buckets of lead to make bullets for a .41 remington cause ammo is hard to find for it. A friend that had been casting his own bullets for 5 years (about 800 a year) and used a respirator for the last 4 years of it. Before then a regular mask, and always outside with 5-10 mph winds behind him. He had a stockpile he was happy with and wasn’t going to make anymore. Didnt matter- the weekend before he was going to show me how and give me all his stuff to do it with he got sick. Thursday went into doctors, they called him Friday am into emergency check at oncologist. Friday noon he found out he was late stage 4. Died the next weekend. Lead is no joke. This dude was 45 years old, could full out sprint a mile, about 6 months before, good health, etc.

Be careful man.

Yeah, I’m going all safety sally here because I have had friends die from cancer from 1of those 2...

At least use a respirator when burning, and gloves handling the copper after burning. Burning the copper is a common one known that the fumes are way toxic, but most don’t know that toucking the burned copper with bare skin allows absorption through the pores ans will do both skin cancer at the location and the heavy metal issues inside the body. The safety training I’ve gone through back when I was working as electrician rewiring partial burned houses on a city contract showed only metal in fire worse than copper is lead outside radioactive crap.

Same thing for the lead. I had several 5 gallon buckets of lead to make bullets for a .41 remington cause ammo is hard to find for it. A friend that had been casting his own bullets for 5 years (about 800 a year) and used a respirator for the last 4 years of it. Before then a regular mask, and always outside with 5-10 mph winds behind him. He had a stockpile he was happy with and wasn’t going to make anymore. Didnt matter- the weekend before he was going to show me how and give me all his stuff to do it with he got sick. Thursday went into doctors, they called him Friday am into emergency check at oncologist. Friday noon he found out he was late stage 4. Died the next weekend. Lead is no joke. This dude was 45 years old, could full out sprint a mile, about 6 months before, good health, etc.

Be careful man.
OH YES, always use the proper equipment and plenty of ventilation. I`m 66 and been casting lead since I was about ten. I hope it all does not catch up with Me.
Like grinding new brake shoes to fit inside the drums, did a lot of that before the danger warnings came out, dont know how that`ll affect the health down the road. My son, after climbing to the top of a mountain in alaska, tells Me, Your in pretty good shape for an old man, I never imagined You would make it this far. LOL

Got the remote filter temporarily installed where I want it for now and the lines routed.
IMG_9361.JPG
I figured out a better mounting bracket while I was getting it cleaned up from not having all the connections tight in order to drive out the air in the lines (yeah, if you believe that, I got a rust free Suburban to sell you).
Truck started fine. Heath HD Lift Pump puts out 10 PSI at Idle. I'll drive it tomorrow and see how it holds up under full throttle.
I talked to Pure Flow/Air Dog Tech CJ today and they're sending me a new motor and geardrive for a low low price. Seeing as how I'm not the purchaser. He said, that's a first Generation unit, we don't see many Five Digit Serial Numbers. Turns out this one was sent to Bill to run on the Land Speed Racer. One of his fired employees must have sold it to Ted when he was building having the motor build. He gave it to me as part of the deal when I bought the motor (in pieces) from him and had the thing rebuilt. Anyways, at least the Air Dog can always an option. At least it is ready to plumb into place with the fuel and electrical lines already done up.

Last edited:
Yes, "air bleeding". On another note, are the fittings different colors for Send and Return, or that's what you scrounged up out of the miscellaneous parts and stuff bin under the work bench?

Observed that a small puddle had formed under the LP. Both input and output sides had diesel drips formed. Pulled the pump, redid 6AN connectors on the output side, added an eight inch extension to the hose to get the pump all the way back to the mounting bracket because I had used the last of a role of braided line on the output side and it was a few inches short. When the other Fuel Filter finally gets here, it will go on the firewall instead of the AC bracket so the hose will be just right w/o the extension. I used different worm clamps on the input side (rubber for now). Filter and fittings up front was all clean and dry. Ran it for a few minutes and checked back later and no drips. Just might have got it this time.

Back