• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Project Frankensquare

I have read articles of people converting the C frames to K frames by adding the leaf spring mounts for the front axle to the C frames. I doubt that they knew that such a difference existed.
Yeah, you can buy brackets that will bolt in place of the 2wd core support mounts, but so far that appears to be the easy part…..installing the 4wd crossmember and motor mounts are going to be the hard part - now I will say, this is an optional step for a 4wd conversion, especially if it’s lifted, but that’s how I wanted to do mine, so I’m causing myself more grief than necessary…….as usual…….

Would anyone know where to find such bolt on brackets? I would love to get rid of my coil spring front end and use the torsion bar setup that the 4x4's and newer rigs use. I wouldn't go through the complete conversion though, just the front suspension system. there is so much more you can get and do with that style.

Would anyone know where to find such bolt on brackets? I would love to get rid of my coil spring front end and use the torsion bar setup that the 4x4's and newer rigs use. I wouldn't go through the complete conversion though, just the front suspension system. there is so much more you can get and do with that style.
GMT400 (88-98) is a different ball of wax. What I was referring to are the brackets like these that ORD makes for the squarebody trucks.

The GMT400 frames are totally different for 2wd and 4wd, your best bet is to do an SAS (solid axle swap) in that case. ORD also makes parts for that.

At this point I probably never will, just to spite you 😅
Nah, you know it will always be nagging at you in the back of your mind as the project you never finished! Remember, you bought and started rebuilding it to rebuild your retaining wall - which you've already rebuilt with with other equipmeny you got, because the skid steer wasn't done! You'll wake up in the middle of the night from nightmares of the skid steer calling to you, "Na-ate. Na-ate. Finish me! Na-ate!"🤣🤣🤣

I got the radiator support/front spring hangers installed first. Those were easy to locate because I found a common hole at the front of the frame horn on both frames, and that hole lined up with the support strap on the inside of the rail. I lined that up and then opened up the existing holes in the rails with a die grinder.

010A0EB3-EBD8-4083-85B1-8109AAE434A0.jpegBBC42553-1022-45B1-A120-65A0D7E9A9E5.jpeg

Once that was done I could bolt the bracket to the frame and use transfer punches to locate the other holes. Pretty straightforward.

B267E0B1-6EA1-49C6-B6F0-44CA1A6E7207.jpegE755C54B-7B3B-4A0C-96E9-0561BDF57C95.jpeg71734366-95C1-4FBD-9554-2F90FCB3DD06.jpegAB42B674-1357-46BC-B695-C1A6EA37008A.jpeg

Once those holes were in place, I could use those to find the hole locations for the first two crossmembers. The first crossmember needed some trimming to fit because the 2wd frame bumps in at that location and the 4wd frame does not. I got it all in place on the bottom, but I need to make some 1/2” spacers for the top so it can attach up there…..however, I’m going to wait to do any of that until I get the frame mods for the motor mounts figured out.

BF628091-DF8B-49F1-809B-D72E58E070E5.jpeg059BB09A-2858-4688-9302-000ADDCC1157.jpeg

The motor mount brackets need the frame rails to be 1/2” taller….this will be the next challenge I tackle.

B5620262-AB8B-4FF9-993F-0A60AB10DD41.jpeg87AE7539-15B7-488D-B7EA-A42353126AF3.jpeg

Once that is done, then I need to make the holes for the rear spring hangers for the front springs and then the frame will be a 4wd frame.

Last edited:
I got the radiator support/front spring hangers installed first. Those were easy to locate because I found a common hole at the front of the frame horn on both frames, and that hole lined up with the support strap on the inside of the rail. I lined that up and then opened up the existing holes in the rails with a die grinder.

View attachment 79114View attachment 79115

Once that was done I could bolt the bracket to the frame and use transfer punches to locate the other holes. Pretty straightforward.

View attachment 79116View attachment 79117View attachment 79119View attachment 79118

Once those holes were in place, I could use those to find the hole locations for the first two crossmembers. The first crossmember needed some trimming to fit because the 2wd frame bumps in at that location and the 4wd frame does not. I got it all in place on the bottom, but I need to make some 1/2” spacers for the top so it can attach up there…..however, I’m going to wait to do any of that until I get the frame mods for the motor mounts figured out.

View attachment 79121View attachment 79120

The motor mount brackets need the frame rails to be 1/2” taller….this will be the next challenge I tackle.

View attachment 79122View attachment 79123

Once that is done, then I need to make the holes for the rear spring hangers for the front springs and then the frame will be a 4wd frame.
Use a piece of ½" thick flat stock of the correct width and slightly longer than the mount as the spacer?

Where you said:

What about cutting down the top of the mount bracket. Then just weld a piece of flat steel across the new top height. If you have 1/4” plate steel, cut out 3/4” in height. Weld it on, then it will fit. Basically cut where I drew the red line.
55230230-1006-4199-8F9D-35B6395B8D56.jpeg

Wouldn't that DROP the height of the top of the motor mount bracket and thus also drop the height of the motor ½" and then cause turbo down tube to frame clearance issues, as well as probably engine to front differential/steering linkage clearance issues, too?

Use a piece of ½" thick flat stock of the correct width and slightly longer than the mount as the spacer?

That was my thought, but I wanted to wait until after I address what I need to do for the motor mount brackets before I commit to anything. Overnight I was playing around with the idea of pancaking the frame rail right there so it would match up with the crossmember.....probably more work than its worth, but I'm still chewing on it.

Where you said:

What about cutting down the top of the mount bracket. Then just weld a piece of flat steel across the new top height. If you have 1/4” plate steel, cut out 3/4” in height. Weld it on, then it will fit. Basically cut where I drew the red line.
View attachment 79125

That would be easier, but my concern from the start has been having the frame rails close to the correct places so when I make the turbo system, what I come up with will work for anyone else's 4wd squarebody. Maybe 1/2" is a bit too anal and the reward I get is offset by slicing and dicing the frame rail...... Hmm, maybe...... The other C30 frame that I bought already converted, that was their solution - they whacked off the top of the brackets so they would fit, only they didn't then add a flange to the top of the brackets so they weren't bolted to the top of the rails.

Wouldn't that DROP the height of the top of the motor mount bracket and thus also drop the height of the motor ½" and then cause turbo down tube to frame clearance issues, as well as probably engine to front differential/steering linkage clearance issues, too?

The bottom rail is what sets the height of the engine in the frame, so modifying the bracket won't change how high the engine is sitting. What it will do though is move the top of the frame rail further from the manifold, which will falsely give me more room than I would normally have. Of course, since I'm building this truck, I will know that I have that extra 1/2" and so I just need to keep than in mind while building the turbo system.

I decided to take the path of least resistance and modify the motor mount brackets rather than the frame rails. Actually, I grabbed the already cut ones from the other C30 rather than cut up the intact ones. They were cut crudely with a torch. Here I had already started grinding on one of them before I remembered to snap some pics.

620BBC2D-25B9-400C-9649-03ACB56D98C4.jpeg5C16848D-CE84-4D60-872D-1E38DDBAF967.jpeg

I cut some 3/16” plate and welded it to the top of each mount. All that’s left to do is drill holes in the top through both the rails and brackets, but I ran out of time tonight.

307F8037-3D69-4DF3-AD86-6C433A4F90F6.jpeg04EF4BB7-24CC-4C89-9F19-5A4AC629AECF.jpeg

Back