• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Project Frankensquare

Will these get gussets of some sort?
View attachment 79663

Oh, and if you need a job welding in Ohio, I know of a place...
Yep, they’ll be getting gussets, I’ll be working on those this week.

I used to weld for a paycheck, but that was almost 20 years ago. I’m not as good as I used to be, but I still do ok most days.

I got about 3 feet of the frame rails boxed. I fully welded the top seams and tacked the bottom seams - my plan is that when I have the metal bits all attached to the frame, I’ll tear it back down and then rotate the frame in all four positions so I can do the best welds in all locations. I also removed one temporary crossmember and added a new one at the front of this straight section of frame.659B696E-82F4-46EA-A358-39CCEFD57667.jpeg8C1DBCB1-207A-4EFE-A3C3-2867B25A65C3.jpeg

I got about 3 feet of the frame rails boxed. I fully welded the top seams and tacked the bottom seams - my plan is that when I have the metal bits all attached to the frame, I’ll tear it back down and then rotate the frame in all four positions so I can do the best welds in all locations. I also removed one temporary crossmember and added a new one at the front of this straight section of frame.View attachment 79717View attachment 79718
I was once certified to weld bridges, frames, hitches and such in all positions.
I guess I could practice some and maybe pass that test again.
Had to be certified to weld on such objects for the DOT over here.
The state welding inspector would come around every two years and We, in the shop, would then set up for the test.

I was once certified to weld bridges, frames, hitches and such in all positions.
The state welding inspector would come around every two years and We, in the shop, would then set up for the test.
Well, if you need a job welding, I know a place in Ohio...

I work for an outdoor furniture manufacturer. When I was in manufacturing I was “certified” in MIG and TIG in our in-house certifications - nothing I could show anywhere else and mean anything, it just meant I was good enough to weld on our product…..though I will say, we make benches that are thousands of dollars, so you definitely couldn’t get by with bad looking welds.

Our welding certification was a stick only weld. Using 1/8 inch 7018 rod, vertical up. Two 1-1/2 inch coupons, backing plate ground off, weld ground to flat and one coupon bent one way, the other coupon bent the opposite direction and no rips or tears over an 1/8th inch long.
The welded material was 1/4 inch thick flat. Two pieces each 5 inch X 5 inch and a 1/4 inch thick X 1-1/2 inch backer. Both pieces were ground on one edge to an approximate 22-1/2 degree angle. Making the gap a 45 degree included angle. The gap between the two pieces was 1/8th of an inch. And the backer was welded to the two pieces.

You didn't have to snap every 6 months?

Nate, why is this frame welding project beginning to remind me of this?
Hmmmm... I'm not sure why that reminds you. Do you think I have a team of Asian guys helping me in the barn? I don't, but if I did, they'd definitely be wearing safety glasses while running a disc grinder and a welding helmet while welding! WTF

Hmmmm... I'm not sure why that reminds you. Do you think I have a team of Asian guys helping me in the barn? I don't, but if I did, they'd definitely be wearing safety glasses while running a disc grinder and a welding helmet while welding! WTF
The cutting, fitting, gusseting and marrying together of multiple vehicles. That's why.

I've not been there, but some of our guys from work have been to United Arab Emerates and china where PPE is foreign. I've seen photos of guys in the furnace room in foundries in flip flops. Safety glasses? What are those?
Yeah, I've seen the foundry and flip flops before, but never a disc grinder without safety glasses. Crazy.

Back