• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

power steering not working

wes104

Reaction score
i have a 1989 gmc r3500 with a 454 that when its below 1000 rpms the power steering doesn't work but as soon as you rev it it works.its hydro boost if that helps any.the pump also runs the brakes and as far as i can tell they work fine.should i replace the pump or hydraulic brake booster or look elsewhere/would a bad brake booster block fluid to the steering gear?sorry if this is the wrong place

Welcome Wes. Start with simple first.

Good belt, good tension? Slipping belt on the pulley can cause that.

Are the brakes working properly?
What condition is the fluid (needing flush and fill maybe) and is it full?

Pressure relief valve clean?

I have seen a bunch of people start throwing parts at it, next thing ya know the whole system has issues. Get the pressure gauges and dig up the procedure for testing pressure and volume.

If/when you do start replacing components: only replace one item at a time. Do NOT get rid of old parts until everything is fixed and you have driven it a couple weeks. Even if core charges exist, wait for the refund because a lot of new defective parts in the steering system components.

I wish I had the test procedure and specs around for you, but it has been too many years since having done that.

good belt and my truck doesnt hand a tensioner.its full on fluid but could use a flush probably.were would the Pressure relief valve be?brakes work fine just doest have no steering assit at low rpms

I have seen a bunch of people start throwing parts at it, next thing ya know the whole system has issues. Get the pressure gauges and dig up the procedure for testing pressure and volume.

If/when you do start replacing components: only replace one item at a time. Do NOT get rid of old parts until everything is fixed and you have driven it a couple weeks. Even if core charges exist, wait for the refund because a lot of new defective parts in the steering system components.

I wish I had the test procedure and specs around for you, but it has been too many years since having done that.

good belt and my truck doesnt hand a tensioner.its full on fluid but could use a flush probably.were would the Pressure relief valve be?brakes work fine just doest have no steering assit at low rpms

I does have a tensioner just not an auto tensioner. So is it properly tensioned would be the question? Those early v belt systems were problematic to say the least especially on the diesels, which you don't have

I does have a tensioner just not an auto tensioner. So is it properly tensioned would be the question? Those early v belt systems were problematic to say the least especially on the diesels, which you don't have

yes it has 2 belts and both have been checked and are tight

if it is a weak pump wouldnt it affect brakes to and not just steering?leaning towards pump because it is a remanufactured pump and everyone says they go bad quickly

One other thing you should considering putting on your system is a magnetic filter. IIRC member warwagon had a parts store pump dust his entire system with metal and then had to replace evrything. Maybe flush the new pump first

One other thing you should considering putting on your system is a magnetic filter. IIRC member warwagon had a parts store pump dust his entire system with metal and then had to replace evrything. Maybe flush the new pump first

would i need to put one on each return line?any specific one you recommend?

just trying to figure out if it is the pump why is steering the only thing affected.and also wanted to say thank youguys for the help so far

Yes default to brakes.
How long ago did you replace the pump?
New or reman?
Did it work properly after the pump install, and if so for how long?

Being a reman, I would keep it high on the possibility list.

If it is a 1 year warranty, you might try swapping it out quickly under warranty before you miss the date and no warranty left.

Normally i would say track down a pressure test kit and find the specs, and ensure dojng every step the proper way, not throwing parts at it— but free under warranty before time runs out...

Being a reman, I would keep it high on the possibility list.

If it is a 1 year warranty, you might try swapping it out quickly under warranty before you miss the date and no warranty left.

Normally i would say track down a pressure test kit and find the specs, and ensure dojng every step the proper way, not throwing parts at it— but free under warranty before time runs out...

its lifetime

Score.
I know them and other autoparts store do the free tool rental wher you buy it, use it, return for refund. Find out if they have the pump test gauge kit.

Score.
I know them and other autoparts store do the free tool rental wher you buy it, use it, return for refund. Find out if they have the pump test gauge kit.

first i want to try a good flush sinch its the easiest and would removed any bad oil befor using a new pump.does any one have any idea how much fluid i would need

Back