• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

power steering not working

Either one. Gm called for steering fluid, but same components are used in hmmwvs and hummers and it calls for dextron3.
My preference has always been atf for cost and 1 bottle In the truck for either one being low.
So pick one- use it.

Cant remember how much you need, sorry.

system doesn't hold very much but by the time you flush it it will use several quarts to clean it up. Do you know the flush procedure?

Put the front end on jack stands, disconnect the return line from the power steering pump put a cap on the steel tube where the line hooked up and extend the drain hose to where ever is convenient to collect fluid. Easier with 2 people but I did it myself, start it up and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock while simultaneously pushing the brake pedal to the floor. The resevoir empties quickly try not to let it run out. Keep adding fluid and repeating until the fluid comes out clean

Put the front end on jack stands, disconnect the return line from the power steering pump put a cap on the steel tube where the line hooked up and extend the drain hose to where ever is convenient to collect fluid. Easier with 2 people but I did it myself, start it up and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock while simultaneously pushing the brake pedal to the floor. The resevoir empties quickly try not to let it run out. Keep adding fluid and repeating until the fluid comes out clean

does it matter which one?my truck has two return lines.if both are disconnected does it matter how they go back

Back