• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Poor man ways to soften the ride quality on 1 ton 2wd Crew Cab

Yeah that was what I was thinking too. maybe even split open on one side to make sort if a "C" shape around. the opening towards the inside with enough room to get the bag out if or when the bag would need to be replaced.

I started digging around and found out LoadLifter makes the kit with bags that have the bump stop built in just like Will was talking about. the kit is only $100 more. this might be a better option than trying to fab up some sort of bracket to keep the rig from bottoming the bags out! shows that it will fit my truck too!

Ran across some more info in trying to put together what will work and what won't on this. found where my diff weighs roughly 600lbs, according the the Wikipedia site. Idk if that is for SRW or DRW, with or without drums and what not. but I get the general idea. I need that weight so I can subtract it from the rear curb weight ( empty bed + frame ) this way I will know about what weight those bags will be supporting full time.

I'm guessing the rear of the truck weighs about 2500 - 3000 lb empty so that would basically be putting these bags at half of their capacity 100% of the time. Though I do need to run my rig across a scale to see a more accurate number here.

Since I will be loosing most of the support from the leaf springs but they will still have "some" support I'll give them say 750 - 1000lbs of support, maybe I'm too generous lol...

as a rough estimate, that would give these bags the ability to carry (5000lb the bags can carry minus 2500lb empty bed weight + 750 estimate leaf load) 3,250 lbs load capacity available before maxing out the bags. the truck is a 1 ton which should only carry 2000lbs of additional weight. if that holds true after I roll across the scale and get my numbers, I would think I should be ok on this kit so long as I don't start hauling heavy on a regular basis!

Seriously, have you spoken to semi truck parts suppliers near you?
Semi truck air bags can often be bought on sale for $50.

Usually 10”- 15” diameter and range of motion from 7”-15” height range.
Weight is not a concern with them. You could out the leaf springs for a 4 link if you wanted. -A bunch more $, so keep a leaf- but seriously could simply keep one leaf.

Watch some videos about guys building complete air suspension on 4 links. Most are people that want a lowered truck or car- but can be done for normal use.

I have looked at those bags. I have a pair here on the shelf in my warehouse at work. (I'm the one man band in our parts department) those wouldn't fit under there without some major mods and brackets fabricated. the 4 and 5 link kits is something I might do later on when funds allow. Right now I don't think I want to do any modding on the truck that can't be UN-done. Like saving on my existing springs where I can return the rig back to stock easily.

what I'm looking at is a less expensive kit that is mostly bolt on.

giving some more thought on the suspension, I think I will possibly leave at least 3 leafs in the packs not unless I pull a light duty 3/4 set or a 1/2 ton set out of the pick a part yard. this way the leaf springs them selves will still support up around 1500+ lbs loads by them selves after only removing the overloads.

I think this will allow for a softer ride and only have the bags inflated on the low end of say 30psi ( I will have to experimenting on the pressures ) but I think that would be more stable overall and not having to be relying solely on the bags alone. More of what they are meant for.

I have looked at those bags. I have a pair here on the shelf in my warehouse at work. (I'm the one man band in our parts department) those wouldn't fit under there without some major mods and brackets fabricated. the 4 and 5 link kits is something I might do later on when funds allow. Right now I don't think I want to do any modding on the truck that can't be UN-done. Like saving on my existing springs where I can return the rig back to stock easily.

what I'm looking at is a less expensive kit that is mostly bolt on.

giving some more thought on the suspension, I think I will possibly leave at least 3 leafs in the packs not unless I pull a light duty 3/4 set or a 1/2 ton set out of the pick a part yard. this way the leaf springs them selves will still support up around 1500+ lbs loads by them selves after only removing the overloads.

I think this will allow for a softer ride and only have the bags inflated on the low end of say 30psi ( I will have to experimenting on the pressures ) but I think that would be more stable overall and not having to be relying solely on the bags alone. More of what they are meant for.
I believe that the Firestone bags that was on my old 93 K1500 said minimum of 5 PSI. That gives a nice ride on the 1/2 ton units.

That is what I have read others have done. I just didn't want to do something that couldn't be un-done. maybe if I pull the packs apart to remove them and add a spacer to take up space the overloads did.

I'm sure mine is squatting some in the rear. how much space is normally between the overload tips and the spring for you guys? for me it's about 3/4 to 1 inch if I inflate the air shocks to around 40 - 60 psi.

That will give me an idea of just how much it's hanging down. the truck does have a slight rake to it with the rear slightly higher than the front, but not much.

something else I havn't taken into account on ride quality is the shocks I have.

I installed these Delco air shocks in the rear a couple of years ago and I don't know how stiff or light they are.

1675261826907.png
1675261855884.png

the shocks can be a contributor to how soft or stiff a ride is. the front are also Gabriel 81668 guardian shocks. I do know that if I attempt to put my weight into the truck trying to push it up and down I can barely move it or bounce it even without air in the rear. and I'm a 200lb guy.

Not ideal down there in tx. But I live up here in the snow/ice belt.. and have 2wd dually.. and we all know duallys do not get s*** for traction in snow. And neither does a two-wheel drive actually but I worked with what I got..
I bought a 6inch pipe capped of one end , filled it with concrete. Capped other end.. it's mounted up under the back of the truck right by where the bumper mounts to the frame.. I did it for traction in snow and muddy roads.. but the bonus is that it made the truck ride so nice.. I can hit railroad crossings doing 50 and it barely notices them . If I had to guess I would say it probably weighs 3 to 400 lb. My buddy used a skid steer with the forks on it to lift it up into place so we could get the brackets on it. . Just kind of redneck engineering but it works

Not ideal down there in tx. But I live up here in the snow/ice belt.. and have 2wd dually.. and we all know duallys do not get s*** for traction in snow. And neither does a two-wheel drive actually but I worked with what I got..
I bought a 6inch pipe capped of one end , filled it with concrete. Capped other end.. it's mounted up under the back of the truck right by where the bumper mounts to the frame.. I did it for traction in snow and muddy roads.. but the bonus is that it made the truck ride so nice.. I can hit railroad crossings doing 50 and it barely notices them . If I had to guess I would say it probably weighs 3 to 400 lb. My buddy used a skid steer with the forks on it to lift it up into place so we could get the brackets on it. . Just kind of redneck engineering but it works
I always ran to close to being overweight or beyond, to add any extra weight

I have thought about something similar, just always thought that would cut fuel mileage way down. I do have a 60 gallon tank in the bed with a tool box. if I could afford to fill it and keep it full that would be around 450lbs back there but right behind the cab. I'm sure that would make a difference too.

I think before I do anything to the rig, I need to check to see how aggressive these shocks are. I figured I could unbolt the rear ones and try bouncing the truck with my weight along with laying under there trying to compress the shocks and release them. if those are too stiff, I might need to get some other ones. that alone is a simple fix.

Being at the basically center of the truck (in front of bed) might help. I figured putting all the way at the very back of the frame would give the weight some leverage against the suspension. And all reality with these engines an extra four hundred pounds isn't going to make much difference in your fuel mileage I don't think.. but then again my truck has had so many other problems that I don't really know what does and does not affect my fuel mileage it doesn't seem to ever change.

I think i'd get rid of the air shocks and try something else, I have always been fairly impressed with the ride of the gm 1 tons compared to other vehicles.
With the overloads I wouldnt go after an overly stiff shock, something near stock rate, I run bilstein yellows on my 2500, plan to run them on my 3500 as well. currently just have a old set of Gabriels on there.

If a softer shock doesnt help, next step would be ditch the overloads and run a airbag, no need to remove the overload perches if they arent in the way, if they were bolt in like the early ones sure, but if they are riveted on, Id leave them. run enough air to keep it off the thick bottom leaf.

Extra weight murders empty fuel economy, so I'd avoid packing extra weight if at all possible.

Yeah I think your right. the more and more I think about it and the amount of money I would spend on redneck engineering things back there, I might be better off just ordering a set of new leaf springs off RA and just swapping them out over a weekend. Along with a soft set of shocks all the way around.

I just pulled a 12 foot trailer today loaded with some furniture my daughter got for her new house, I noticed with just the weight of that trailer on the hitch and with 60psi in the air shocks my truck is sitting nearly level with no rake to it at all. might even be slightly lower in the back.

looks normal to me?

Its not a problem till the spring is laying flat. you still have arch and I bet it isnt close to on the bump stops.

Also, you dont have overload springs, might consider getting a set out of a salvage yard? but honestly If I was you I think I'd get rid of the air shocks and maybe add air bags, or try the roadmaster active suspension.

Back