• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Poor man ways to soften the ride quality on 1 ton 2wd Crew Cab

I would also not be a fan of the air shocks. By design, they're not located correctly to carry more load.

I have a set of firestone bags I put on a long time ago. I felt the original bracket design that came with the kit was inadequate, so I designed a different set of brackets and bolted on. All is bolt-on and can be removed anytime. There might be photos here somewhere, unless I left them on the other site. I'll try to remember to snap some pictures next time I see my truck to give you an idea. It looks like it was in 2012 and I still have the drawings but don't remember how they mounted. Below is an image of one side.
1676655751343.png
I'll gladly send files if you think something like this would work for you.

looks normal to me?

Its not a problem till the spring is laying flat. you still have arch and I bet it isnt close to on the bump stops.

Also, you dont have overload springs, might consider getting a set out of a salvage yard? but honestly If I was you I think I'd get rid of the air shocks and maybe add air bags, or try the roadmaster active suspension.

The springs do have a little arch to them, but there aren't any bump stops or at least I can't find there under there LOL.

the short spring in the last pic is the overload spring. when the truck is empty the spring pack will lift to just barely separate enough away from the overload that I can squeeze my little finger between the end of the overload and the pack.

I think air bags would do good, I just don't want it rock hard!

I would also not be a fan of the air shocks. By design, they're not located correctly to carry more load.

I have a set of firestone bags I put on a long time ago. I felt the original bracket design that came with the kit was inadequate, so I designed a different set of brackets and bolted on. All is bolt-on and can be removed anytime. There might be photos here somewhere, unless I left them on the other site. I'll try to remember to snap some pictures next time I see my truck to give you an idea. It looks like it was in 2012 and I still have the drawings but don't remember how they mounted. Below is an image of one side.
View attachment 79621
I'll gladly send files if you think something like this would work for you.

I would love to see how yours is setup and how you made your bolt on brackets. :)

That setup looks nice. how is the ride with the bags and springs together?
No difference. It just didn't squat as much when I had a 3000 lb. camper in the bed.
Nice fan work. How did you go about fabbing the pieces?
I designed the parts I needed and one of the welders in our shop nailed them together when they had extra time. I think they were formed a little undersize and that's the reason for the spacer shown welded to the top that isn't shown on the 3D model.

No difference. It just didn't squat as much when I had a 3000 lb. camper in the bed.

I designed the parts I needed and one of the welders in our shop nailed them together when they had extra time. I think they were formed a little undersize and that's the reason for the spacer shown welded to the top that isn't shown on the 3D model.
I thought maybe you had a press brake in your pocket.
I missed out on a couple

I have the Firestone bags but haven't installed them, I don't like the way they clamp to the axle, kinda cheap.

The brackets are not the best design, but they've been in place for a while and have been adequate.
20230218_142539.jpg
I added a spacer behind the bolts so I could crank down the bolts and not crush the frame or bracket webs.20230218_142547.jpg
20230218_142719.jpg

I don't actually remember what the original brackets looked like that came with the kit.

Well I figured I would start gathering a parts list on this project since I am starting to experience some looseness in my front end. after checking everything I can see and don't see much that I can tell is loose, I am leaning on the control arm bushings and that cheap rubber in them.

I think I will be going with polyurethane bushings instead of the standard rubber, I want something I can grease and will have more move-ability up and down. If I could find actual bronze greasable bushings I would go that route like on the big trucks.

on the front springs and how stiff they are, the other day I disconnected the lower bolts on the shocks and attempted to bounce the front end. my 200lb body weight pushing up and down on the front grille guard couldn't move the front end very much at all! most other trucks I can get the front end bouncing fairly well! I can't seem to decide what spring to go with so I'm posting the specs off RA for different ones along with what I found for the factory spring in this truck. maybe some of you all can help with choosing a spring that will give a softer ride without making the front end lower.

Here is what I have so far... looking online there is very few choices for the diesel variant of these truck, only if I look at trucks with gas engines I will get other options. some of the brands aren't the best, but were the ones I could actually get specs for. I only found one varaiable rate spring rated a hair over 1k lbs, I think I would be more confortable with one rated at least 1200-1300lbs. I will have to keep looking for more options.

Factory spring C3500 6.5l diesel:
Dorman 566-219 OEM C3500
Specs:
Free Height:15.00 inches
Maximum Inside Diameter: 4.00 inches
Maximum Outside Diameter: 6.00 inches
Spring Rate:1555 lbs/in
Spring Type:Constant Rate
Wire Diameter: 1.00 inch

Factory C2500 5.7l engine spring:
Dorman 556-242 - C2500
Specs:
Spring Rate:1390 lbs/in
Spring Type:Constant Rate
Wire Diameter: 0.946 inch

Variable rate C2500 5.7l engine spring:
MOOG CC650 - C2500
Specs:
Spring Rate:1025 lbs/in
Spring Type:Variable Rate
Wire Diameter: 0.900 inch

I've been trying to figure out how to soften up the front end.. but others have said nothing there tried ever worked.. engine is just to heavy.. if you figure something out I want to know..lol

Back