• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P400 in the Burb install

spdgofast

Reaction score
Ok folks, I’ve had this P400 sitting in my garage for just under a year now so I guess it’s time to get going on the install. I picked this up from the GEP facility last December when I just happened to be in Ohio on business with my dually so I made some calls and was able to pick it up directly from them. Talk about a kid in a candy store! Motors stacked all over the place. I was actually inside and I tried to get them to show me around the facility but they said they could not for security reasons. Anyways , I’m putting this in my lifted 94 Suburban that has a Spearco intercooler and the IP has been converted to a DB2835-PE340 pump with a walbro lift pump. Since my truck has a lift kit I have been told by Matt @ peninsular that I can retain the cast aluminum oil pan, I guess we’ll find out. Since my existing motor still cranks and runs I am mocking up the brand new genuine Holset Super HX 40 not to be confused with a CKO Super 40 and down pipe, air box and intercooler pipes on the existing motor first before I pull it and install the P400. My heads are out being worked on presently. Here are just a few phone pics. I couldn't get all of them loaded here not sure whats up with that.

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 45
  • pics 012.jpg
    pics 012.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 44
  • pics 018.jpg
    pics 018.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 43
  • pics 023.jpg
    pics 023.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 46
Whats the best way to put photos here? Is it to attach link from photobucket?

I think there is a how to around here? I always hit the "go advanced" button then click the paperclip looking button, add files, select pics then load them here. I resize them before all that though.

When I had a P400 put in my 95 suburban, Peninsular cut and welded the cast pan so it would fit in a non lifted 4X4 vehicle. They did a fantastic job. I think they said they had a jig to do it with.

Good luck with the install! The P400 is a very nice motor!

Brian

What type of head gasket was on it ?

Am presuming that question is toward me . . .

Do not know, but am sure that the answer is a short E-mail away. What I do know is that Peninsular is currently having the engines made to their spec; with that, I really did not look too deep as to what went into the motor outside of what was already published. The fuzzy logic in my mind is that if Peninsular is happy with P-400 parts that will / can reliably generate 250 HP, knowing all of the part numbers is one less thing for me to digest. The only part I did ask about was the valve cover and oil pan gaskets as I intend to use synthetic oil and wanted to make sure the gaskets played well with the oil.

In reading into the question, saw where there two compression ratios available to the P-400 (~20:1 and 18:1) and I went with the OE. It is possible that the 18:1 CR will get to that ratio through the head gasket (as well as other parts), but again am confident that the answer is a mere E-mail away.

It had Felpro gaskets on it. And I think the only way to get 18:1 pistons in a P400 is to install them after the motor leaves GEP atleast thats's how it was when I got mine. Here's some photos I got uploaded today of some parts that I had ceramic coated. The bung in the one IC pipe is for a pre IC IAT sensor, there will also be one in the upper intake along with the boost line and maybe WMI in the future. The intake manifold, exh. manifolds and crossover pipe have aready been done.

Attachments

• pics 040.jpg
    pics 040.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 25
  • pics 041.jpg
    pics 041.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 20
  • pics 042.jpg
    pics 042.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 21
  • pics 043.jpg
    pics 043.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 18
  • pics 044.jpg
    pics 044.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 18
Are you taking the CR to 18:1?

I did ask Peninsular whether to beef-up the head studs with ARP and the guidance was to only do it when taking the CR to 18:1. I got the impression that Peninsular will take the CR to 18:1 in their facility, but again, the answer is an E-mail away.

And by the way, the intake parts look Great! :hihi:

Yea, from what I understand if you want 18:1 Penninsular will install them, and no I am keeping the existing comp. ratio but I will put .010 thicker HGs on it I may machine the valve reliefs (make them wider/larger) if I can get my machinist to do it. I have no pics of the exhaust manifolds right now, they were done like 8 years ago when I gasket matched the heads and manifolds. I will post up some pics of the exhaust manifolds after I get them extrude honed.

Yea, its when you machine and change the angle of the 45 degree reliefs around the valves. This does two things: it unshrouds the valves at low lift, and it increases chamber volume

Got some goodies today

Attachments

• pics 070.jpg
    pics 070.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 24
  • pics 068.jpg
    pics 068.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 26
  • pics 069.jpg
    pics 069.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 22
  • pics 071.jpg