• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

P400 in the Burb install

Has anyone heard of PurrFormance Diesel in Ohio?

I have. They are about an hour south of me. Owner is a 6.5 guy. I went down there last year to buy some stanadyne tools so I can start building pumps myself. Too bad my test bench isn't operational yet. Otherwise I could help you out on a pump build

Facebook messenger. You can still get the .330 marine pump new. But if your after more fuel then a custom pump is definitely what you need. CDD locks timing on his pumps so if you get one you will lose your dynamic timing just so you know.
Can you tell me what exactly happens when he locks the timing on the pump? So what happens if you turn one of his pumps as far as advance or retard position goes?

Can you tell me what exactly happens when he locks the timing on the pump? So what happens if you turn one of his pumps as far as advance or retard position goes?

He locks the advance piston in place so the pump doesn't advance with transfer pump pressure anymore. So what ever you set your timing at it will stay there, much like a p pump. A few guy said they had to advance the pump gear two teeth to get the desired timing.

He locks the advance piston in place so the pump doesn't advance with transfer pump pressure anymore. So what ever you set your timing at it will stay there, much like a p pump. A few guy said they had to advance the pump gear two teeth to get the desired timing.
And so how does this work with his in cab fuel adjustment option? Or does he lock the timing on the adjustable unit? I would imagine not if regulated by fuel pressure.

Attachments

• CDD FPR.jpg
    CDD FPR.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 5
  • CDD adjuster.jpg
    CDD adjuster.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Pardon me Rockabilly, Am I confusing the transfer pump with the lift pump? Maybe I need some schooling in the Injection pump detail area? My crystal ball tells me I'm going to have $6000.00 worth of injection pumps sitting on the shelf by the end of the year! Which sucks!

Last edited:

Forgive my ignorance, so does this mean that pump timing can't be adjusted by moving/ rotating the IP towards the driver or passenger side? Or that fueling can't be turned up with the adjustment screw.

Thanks for sharing the info on CDD. I'm also in the market for a built DB2. Get that test bench going, there's a few guys with P400s on here that need ya!

And so how does this work with his in cab fuel adjustment option? Or does he lock the timing on the adjustable unit?

The in cab fueling adjustment is changing inlet pressure. Only works on his locked pumps. Higher inlet pressure helps with higher RPM fueling on rotary pumps.

Transfer pump pressure is around 10psi at idle. If the timing isn't locked and you put 40psi of inlet pressure to it. The timing will advance

Forgive my ignorance, so does this mean that pump timing can't be adjusted by moving/ rotating the IP towards the driver or passenger side? Or that fueling can't be turned up with the adjustment screw.

Thanks for sharing the info on CDD. I'm also in the market for a built DB2. Get that test bench going, there's a few guys with P400s on here that need ya!
The pump can still be adjusted on the engine. But it will not have an internal advance anymore. So what ever you set timing at it will stay there unlike a stock DB2 that will internally advance 3-4* as RPMs increase. Fueling can still be adjusted with the leaf spring screw.

I'm working on it guys. Im getting married this year so money is tight right now.

Yeah congratulations.
I too have a pump I want to get checked out. Suppose to be a reman from SSDS. From what I have been reading, probably not the best rebuild job. I picked up the pump and the module for $300.00, never was installed.
Be nice if someone would start manufacturing ULS components for these pumps.

I can’t get the link to work. Is it still ok?

I have not used the shop in YEARS- but J&S Diesel in Vegas used to be amazing. But the guy that built my pumps died. Talking to them on the phone- they said the know all the tricks and all detail were shared between the two owners before the one died.
I don’t know enough technical details to tell if they are just fishing for business or actually know what to do.

They do have a solid reputation in town for small to large diesels. If one of you guys that really knows the pumps could ‘test’ the hotrod building knowledge, that may be worth while. Then if they are slinging bs, we would know to scratch them off the list permanently.

yes, mega db2 pumps get no timing advancement. So you play with it and learn what rpm your peak torque is and adjust it for there.

But you are running so much fuel to the injectors that the couple degrees to far advanced at idle doesn’t usually matter.
When Scott would build my hotrod pumps, he would tell me a starting point advanced. Peak power always required adjusting a little on the truck. But the builder should be able to say a starting point.

I can’t get the link to work. Is it still ok?

I have not used the shop in YEARS- but J&S Diesel in Vegas used to be amazing. But the guy that built my pumps died. Talking to them on the phone- they said the know all the tricks and all detail were shared between the two owners before the one died.
I don’t know enough technical details to tell if they are just fishing for business or actually know what to do.

They do have a solid reputation in town for small to large diesels. If one of you guys that really knows the pumps could ‘test’ the hotrod building knowledge, that may be worth while. Then if they are slinging bs, we would know to scratch them off the list permanently.

yes, mega db2 pumps get no timing advancement. So you play with it and learn what rpm your peak torque is and adjust it for there.

But you are running so much fuel to the injectors that the couple degrees to far advanced at idle doesn’t usually matter.
When Scott would build my hotrod pumps, he would tell me a starting point advanced. Peak power always required adjusting a little on the truck. But the builder should be able to say a starting point.
Sounds like an engine dyno is required to be on point for peak torque...

Back