• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Opinions needed - Performed Optical Bump

I used two 12" pusher fans! I may just wire in a switch in the cab to enable / disable the fans while on the road, they are wired to a relay that is triggered with the ac clutch. I also haven't installed the 9 blade fan I got from @ak diesel driver yet. still need to order a clutch for it.

I did manage to test the amp load last night just before I took the truck to her appointment! I had the two front windows tinted yesterday evening :)

with full load, AC on max and lights on (LED headlights), high idle switch on set at 1k rpm the alternator is putting out 14.1 volts 80 amps! main batt cable to the relay box under the hood draws 48 amps and the pusher fans are drawing 17. the rest is going into the batteries I would assume.

at normal idle with everything on the alternator slowly dropped to 12.8 volts at 56 amps. main batt cable to relay box is pulling 41 amps and the pusher fans are pulling about 15amps. I assume my batteries are beginning to drain at this point.

with everything off and just idling the alternator is only pushing 15 amps at 13.8 volts with the main batt cable to the relay box drawing 10.1 amps.

looking at these numbers and given that the alternator is only rated at 105. I think I need to ether do an upgrade or only use the fans when I'm sitting in traffic or idling for an extended time. maybe getting that 9 blade fan and new clutch installed will help the AC among keeping the engine cooler!

Yeah.... you need a trinary switch to run those fans. Replace the binary one in your system now.
Those fans hurt the flow when the real fan is working.

Yeah.... you need a trinary switch to run those fans. Replace the binary one in your system now.
Those fans hurt the flow when the real fan is working.
your talking about the high pressure switch that's on the condenser line? which trinary would I use? I assume that high side switch is just a cut out for the compressor when the high limit is reached? I'm curious at what pressure it cuts out at.

@Will L. now you've got me thinking... my ac system at factory "had" a compressor mounted pressure switch but aparently the PO did away with it and the compressor does not have any switches on it. I just looked up by application and they show two different ones. one is a high pressure cut out and the other is a fan switch. there is a pressure switch mounted near the condenser (mounted on high pressure line) that I think is a compressor cut out but not sure if that is a low pressure cut off or an over pressure cut out. I need to look at the compressor to see if there is one or two blanks for switches to be mounted. the wires are there for one switch minus the connector.

I am wondering if I get the fan switch (four seasons 35972) which cuts on at 283psi and off and 210psi and wire that into the fan relay, if this will solve my problem on the fans being on full time. but I don't think the fans will ever cut off sitting still because the high pressure has been staying above 210 in the heat of the day. maybe this is where I would need to use the VOV style orifice and recharge with the proper amount instead of guessing like I have before?

Nice to know on alt amps, but, not the MPG question. The fans are drawing too much, the batteries need a charge, the HVAC blower isn't innocent of amp draw... And yes maybe look into a CS144 upgrade. Larger than the noisy CS130 unreliable pushing the thermal envelope firecracker GM used... 12.8V is battery voltage and you are likely discharging the battery when you are at 12.8V engine running. 13.5V is charging them and GM likes to use long low voltage charging where Dodge will use 14.4 - 15.0V: both systems change voltage some depending on temperature.

Is the engine cooling fan running more with the pusher fans installed?

I would just use one pusher fan myself on the passenger side as that is where the refrigerant leaves the condenser. A pic of your fan setup would be interesting.

I'll post a pic later this afternoon, while I isolate the two fans to be able to control them separately. I havn't noticed the fan clutch running more, but then again I had modified the thermal coil a while back to make it come on at a lower temp. I have placed an order for a new fan clutch so I can install the 9 blade fan and get away from my OE 6 blade fan. it should arrive on Saturday. the clutch I ordered is a knock-off one just to get me by for now, as I don't want to dump money on a good clutch now when later I plan to upgrade the pump then buy a good spin-on clutch.

Then just go for the electro/viscous fan and You can adjust it to whatever temp You would like it to come on.
There is also a provision to hook up the AC compressor to it to so that the fan kicks on when the AC is turned on.

Coming in late here. On my 94 C2500HD C&C, it had the dual fillers on the utility box, but only had the single, large side tank (there were times I wish I had the 40 gal rear tank, too!) hooked up to the front filler.

I do remember after replacing the toasted OEM tank sender unit and getting to trust what the gauge needle was reading compared to actual fuel left (because 5 gallons left in the tank vs. 3 gallons could mean the difference between filling in the town/truckstop where diesel was $0.15/gallon cheaper than where I was at currently) when working in small towns out in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, once I got to the point where I knew and trusted the gauge needle with the new, non-OEM sender/float unit in it, the needle solidly on the E mark meant I had 3 gallons left in the tank and the top edge of the needle one width below the bottom of the E mark I had a gallon or less left in the tank!

F.Y.I. I had the factory large side tank and there was more than one occasion that I put 35.8-36.2 gallons of diesel in it when the gauge needle was a full width below the E mark! Now, I would fill the tank completely up to the edge of the filler neck! I would fill on the "slow" setting notch (especially with the big mouthed semi truck nozzles) to minimize foaming, and would gently rock the truck side to side after the nozzle kicked off and then gently barely squeezing the handle at the same time to burp air from the tank and let the diesel foam settle until I had straight liquid at the edge of the filler neck!

Old Blue had all the aerodynamics of a brick with a drag chute attached with that utility box on it empty, let alone with a load of windows and doors loaded it and standing up! Yet, empty or full, with that 3.42 rear and floored against the 82 mph speed limiter programmed into the ECM PROM, a consistent 15-15.5 MPG. Driving 75 I'd get 16.5-17.0 MPG. 55-65mph on back highways I'd get 18-20 MPG! RPM and the sweet spot on the torque curve makes a BIG difference in fuel mileage, as does the engine load, like 75 mph with a slight tailwind vs. 75 mph into a 30mph headwind can be a 3-4 MPG difference!

Sorry guys. I didn’t get to post a photo of the two pusher fans yesterday. We had an unfortunate event involving our granddog. Our baby girl has to spend 10 days in doggy jail 😢. I really despise city and county ordnances

anyhow. Here’s the photo. I’m in there isolating the fans to be able to control them separately

Attachments

• 8E3D4376-62E2-4C58-AF54-6B8543C4ACA4.jpeg
    8E3D4376-62E2-4C58-AF54-6B8543C4ACA4.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 6
By the way I know this is off topic but here’s our Granddog She holds a special place in our hearts . She can be a hand full tho especially when others are around she doesn’t know!

she was with our soon to be son n law inside the house when a repair man showed up and just walked inside without warning and well she did what any protector would do...

Attachments

• A5D37DEF-426A-4042-97DC-C8D0EB946A89.jpeg
    A5D37DEF-426A-4042-97DC-C8D0EB946A89.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 5
By the way I know this is off topic but here’s our Granddog She holds a special place in our hearts . She can be a hand full tho especially when others are around she doesn’t know!

she was with our soon to be son n law inside the house when a repair man showed up and just walked inside without warning and well she did what any protector would do...
Took a bite outta that crime did it ?
Guess now the jail time is a rabies determination period.
We have a dog. She creates quite a ruckus if someone appears near the hous and yard. People I know and like, I tell them she aint bit anyone YET. People I dont know or dont much care for, I hold Her back and tell them, she probably might bite. 😹😹😹
Talking to the insurance lady on the phone one day. Neighbor made a commotion across the street. Maggie went to barking and raising hell. Insurance lady says, OOOOHHhhhh, You have a dog. I said yeah, she said, I need to add this to Your policy. It dont cost any extra, just insurance in case it bites or attacks someone. Told Her, I didnt know that I should have told You that or else I sure would have. 🤷‍♂️😹😹

Yeah it’s for rabies determination. Little did I know her vax had lapsed

I need to look at that on the insurance I didn’t know there was such a thing!
Yeah, I mentioned that to My sister. She too didnt know that until a dog they used to have nipped a youngster. Didnt break skin, the mom and dad took the youngster to the walk in. My sister said she turned it into their insurance, insurance covered it but the agent told Her they had not listed it in their policy but He would do so.

Well got the fans separated. Only have the passenger side connected right now. Polished up all the lights and reflectors while I was there showing some love lol. And have a planned trip to the junkyard in the morning. Will test my mileage with the trip 🙂

I have a 13½ year old American Staffordshire Terrier mix named Tigger. She's brindle and white (hence her name with her markings, although she's gotten as gray in the face the past year as I have) and all teddy bear, but her size does intimidate people who don't know her. The Staffordshire Terrier is one size up from the American Pitbull Terrier and Tigger stands taller than a Staffordshire and weighed 60-65lbs (she's lost about 10-15 over the past year from old age).20191022_150616.jpg20191022_144836.jpgSSPX0599.jpgSSPX0588.jpg

Top two photos are from Fall 2019. She grabs apples off branches of my backyard apple tree and bites them and lets them lay there for about a week and lets them ferment, then eats them. Nothing like coming home from work to see your drunk pitbull staggering around the backyard from too much homemade applejack! She also likes to eat apples, avocados, tomatoes, baby carrots, corn cobs after I've eaten the sweetcorn off them, peppers - green, red, yellow or jalapeňo, leftover salad, basically anything edible - including her Purina Dog Chow! The bottom two photos are from ten years ago, sitting on her shearling pad on the couch in the basement rec room, enjoying the warmth of the woodstove on a very cold winter night.

Onions is suppose to be tough on dogs. Precautions says no onions. They cause the dogs skin to loose from the muscle.
Firemen over here had a Dalmatian, they fed it onions, raw I imagine, the dogs hyde got loose and would kind of make crunchy noises when they would pet it and scrunch on its fur.
Chocolate is suppose to be very toxic too. Even in small amounts.
This is just stuff that I have read, oh yeah, also strawberries is suppose to be very bad.
Okay, so much for the hijack, back to the regularly scheduled topic. 😹😹😹😹

Well just got back from the junkyard scavenging VW parts for my daughters car and I might have scored on some stuff for my truck! Found two 6.5 trucks with the engines still intact except for the intakes. I pulled a PCM from one of them and then found what I think is an ad244 alternator. Is there any way to identify the alt or the options the pcm has? For $20 each I couldn’t refuse lol
The vin from the truck I pulled the pcm in one photo.

Attachments

• F9F961EE-AE96-49C2-AD68-6FC05A44A907.png
    F9F961EE-AE96-49C2-AD68-6FC05A44A907.png
    194.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 8B1ECB0E-DF18-44F7-AEC0-2FFC20DE0883.jpeg
    8B1ECB0E-DF18-44F7-AEC0-2FFC20DE0883.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DC916586-C4F1-46EA-A376-F27A960674D5.jpeg
    DC916586-C4F1-46EA-A376-F27A960674D5.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 4
  • A5406C31-7F62-46F1-8F80-F7360AAB58C5.jpeg
    A5406C31-7F62-46F1-8F80-F7360AAB58C5.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 4
You are mighty fortunate to have an auto salvage that has 6.5 units.
There is 1 auto salvage here, they have two 6.5 trucks in the yard, one of the owners also has a GMT400 with a 6.5 and He will not lat anyone scavenge parts off of either one of those.

Back