• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Oil filter brand of choice

1994ch

Reaction score
What oil filter brand do yall think is best? I have been running a Bosch filter, but after this last oil change the filter seems to loose its prime after each shut down and results in a five second delay in oil pressure after start each time (acts just as if it was the first start after an oil change)
I had this happen with other cheaper filters before but this was a first time for a Bosch.

AC has gone to a Fram cheap like E-Core plastic support for the media. I returned the first one of that design I got a hold of. THEN I learned it wasn't a knock off! Hotter than gas engine diesel oil and over time plastic don't mix during a cold start with 15w and high pressure. Bosch's s#it filters are made by Tear-o-Lator aka Purolator.

The Wix XP filters have a wire backed media and appear to be about the most serious oil filter you can get. Wix has a checkered history with Cummins engines and don't touch their "make U walk" Duramax plastic body fuel filter. Regardless I run Wix XP filters and get them cheap from @RockAutoLLC . The Wix XP's look good cut open at nearly 5000 miles. I am, after all, pushing 5000 miles on an oil change with a turbo 6.2. I expect no less than 5,000 miles from the 3 gal of oil in the Cummins. None of the any s#itty filter that can make a easy 3000 miles here. Sometimes the engine doesn't even make a 3000 mile oil change... regardless oil changes are expensive and should only be done as needed like 1 year or miles when a UOA says it's needed. Sometimes that is 2500 miles with the 6.5TD. The Owner's manual isn't kidding: 2500 miles!

The next "buy you an engine from a filter failure" company to avoid is anything made by "The Fram Group" like their Orange Can of Death and lesser known Mobil 1 filters they now make. Yep The Fram Group would like to pretend to make a filter worthy of $10.00 and a Mobil 1 name. @Will L. "A Wadded up T Shirt would do better."

Moral of the story "Who owns, makes, and warranties the filter is more important than anything else." Also cut open your used filter and see if it was doing it's job.

I like Wix and Wix XP. I think the Amsoil filters are good but they may have changed suppliers/manufacturer use to be I think Donaldson with a synthetic blend media of some sort.

Manufacturers change every so often so I think its a good idea to cut open filters at least periodically to check.

But you may have another problem? Maybe a leak in the oil cooler or lines or 4x4 adapter allowing air into lower oil path. The filter is pretty low on a 6.5 and even 4x4 are only horizontal not upsides down. The cooler still has plento oil left and the oil pump would pump up pretty quick and make pressure if the system was still sealed.

1) Wix. 2) NAPA Platinum/Gold 3) Baldwin in that order. My mechanic swears by Wix and the brands they manufacture as being the best available. As many fleet vehicles and POV's he services out of his shop, I take his recommendations as gospel.

Currently, I switched my new (to me) 2005 Camry with <60K on the motor to full synthetic oil so I can get better fuel mileage and go to 10K+ miles change intervals. He was quite adamant about NOT using either Fram or Mobil 1's synthetic extended change filters, he called them junk, insisted I use Wix and just change the filter every 5K and do an oil analysis at 10K and every 3K after that.

As I suspected from the part number, then noticed a web address flash by with the word "fram" in it as I clicked on the "California Transparency in Supply Chains Act" link at the bottom of the Luber Finer page from the first link posted above - which took me to a secure user name/password page to get that info, which I had neither to view - and then confirmed just now when I Googled "Who manufactures Luber Finer oil filters" and I got this page: http://www.luber-finer.com/blogs/Pr...t-of-New-Products-at-Key-Industry-Events.aspx , they're manufactured by Fram/Allied.

Last edited:
1) Wix. 2) NAPA Platinum/Gold 3) Baldwin in that order. My mechanic swears by Wix and the brands they manufacture as being the best available. As many fleet vehicles and POV's he services out of his shop, I take his recommendations as gospel.

Currently, I switched my new (to me) 2005 Camry with <60K on the motor to full synthetic oil so I can get better fuel mileage and go to 10K+ miles change intervals. He was quite adamant about NOT using either Fram or Mobil 1's synthetic extended change filters, he called them junk, insisted I use Wix and just change the filter every 5K and do an oil analysis at 10K and every 3K after that.
Your 1 & 2 options are redundant since they're all made by wix. For engine oil filters I think Wix is as good as you can get. But I will not run there plastic fuel filters nor there trans spin ons as they have burned up more than a few allisons because of them.

Your 1 & 2 options are redundant since they're all made by wix. For engine oil filters I think Wix is as good as you can get. But I will not run there plastic fuel filters nor there trans spin ons as they have burned up more than a few allisons because of them.
I know that 1&2 are redundant because 1 makes 2. This was my order of choice of use/availability. That is, if I can't find the Wix I need, I know NAPAs are everywhere and it's almost guaranteed that they would have the correct one. If I can't do 1 or 2, then 3 is my fallback position.

I know I'm going to open a can of worms here but the guys at BOBISTHEOILGUY.com say the Fram synthetic filters are excellent

I don't use ACDelco anymore. Had one with a bad ADBV. Hastings LF279 are a decent cheapie.

I know I'm going to open a can of worms here but the guys at BOBISTHEOILGUY.com say the Fram synthetic filters are excellent

Probably a great filter if they actually glued the pleats together!

Your engine and YOUR hassle to deal with the asshats at The FRAM Group and their 3rd party FUBAR claim company if one of their air/oil/fuel filters fails and takes out the engine/injection system. Took this fellow several months to get them to pay for his 6.7 Cummins failure caused by a OCOD Fram filter coming apart. The Fram Group reps didn't want to give me the time of day when I reported my synthetic Mobil1 filter defect to them a label they now half-ass manufacture.

m1-206c.jpg

Fram USED to be good filters back in the day. Then multiple mergers, buyouts to basically buy the brandnames only, outsourcing to offshore labor and voila! Now you have it, a once respected brand name reduced to being an over-priced, cheap quality piece of crap!

Back