• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mobile 1 oil filter failure or defect.

For years I hated cartridge style filters compared to regular one for the ease and cleaner swap. Being able to see what's happening is easier though, and with the drop in quality from every filter mfr out there that sure seems more important.

Pretty bad when a wadded up Tshirt could do better.

Looks pretty similar to your Purolator filter failure.

I wonder if its a issue with the filter media paper that is going to be somewhat industry wide? Maybe its getting thinner or some other change to reduce costs. I am only guessing that the media manufacturing is probably outsourced as its appreciably different than the metal stamping and assembly work.

Post it up on bob is the oil guy forum as it might get more attention then add a link back here. The only way to improve this is to make the brand names get some bad press. Spread the word.

Are you going to email pics to Mobile one?

I would like to hear what they say when you show them the picture.

According to their website...

Mobil 1™ Extended Performance oil filters, manufactured by Champion Laboratories, Inc. (“Champion Laboratories”), are warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship. Any Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter proven defective during the engine or equipment manufacturer’s recommended service interval (or up to 15,000 miles of guaranteed protection when combined with fully synthetic motor oils) will be replaced at no charge by Champion Laboratories.

In the event of an engine failure directly caused by a proven defective Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter, Champion Laboratories will authorize restoration of the engine or equipment to a condition equivalent to that existing just before the failure.

This limited warranty does not include engine condition due to: normal wear; abnormal operation; negligence; abuse; or damage from casualty, shipment or accident.

Claims for engine or equipment repairs provided by this limited warranty must be submitted within 30 days after discovery of the damage. Champion Laboratories reserves the right to examine the engine or equipment and filter in order to determine the amount of damage and whether it was caused by a defective Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter.

To file a claim, call Champion Laboratories at 1-800-882-0890 or by email, [email protected].

I find it interesting that they put that as a warranty. If you could prove the failed oil filter caused the problem, you wouldn't need their warranty. The liabilities would have them paying it off before it ever got to a courtroom, regardless of brand or type of oil used.

:bookworm: Fram is no longer owned by Allied Signal, it was bought by privately owned New Zealand leverage buy out conglomerate Rank Group, that bought Fram, Champion Labs and Luberfiner. Champion Labs makes the Mobil 1 Filter and they are owned and warrantied by The Fram Group.

I had a guy at a booth at a farm show years ago trying to tell me that the Mobil 1 filter was the best filter on the market, no one made a better filter at any cost, blah blah blah. I didn't believe him then, still don't. Obviously for good reason...

Synthetic media? Using 10% post consumer anything can qualify as a synthetic because it's be melted and reconstituted. Doesn't mean it would work better, more of a marketing ploy. Kinda like being a "green" filter.

Is there any type of comparison testing that has been done by third parties? I know I was amazed when I saw the air filter testing results showing AC Delco stomping all the others.
If there is not one out there, I wonder what it would take to do one.

I am sure there are all of those spec numbers. But there are some filter media that are better than others.

I get what your saying, but have to disagree. I mean some types will obviously do better than others, but based on design a lesser media can do a better job.

Are you all aware that ALL oil is primarily filtered through liquified asphalt? Kinda funny but true.

With absolutely no media, I can heat up and spin oil through 2 different centrifuges and clean oil far better than any filter. Problem is the primary unit is about $9,000 and requires a 3.5 hp motor at additional cost, and about the size of a big block, Sooo... Yeah way impractical.

My point is just different media doesn't make it better, case in point post #1 of this thread. Hopefully this 1 filter is the rare failure rate that slips through the cracks.

I hear you Will.
But I am still curious as to why the Mobil 1 filters use card board like Fram filters. I personally feel much more comfortable using synthetic fiber media filters. I will pay a little more for the filter. Just piece of mind for me.

Does synthetic oil break down filter media more than conventional oil? Or is it just the extended drain interval soaks the media in oil for much longer? Seems I remember old cardboard oil cans degrade to the point of leaking through the container.

Yours was only 10 months which to me is not excessive. A lot of cars now use synthetic oil and 15,000 miles or 1 year which ever comes first as services interval. The Mobile 1 touts longer life.

I thought Donaldson had an advanced synthetic media and licensed mfg through Amsoil. It is suppose to last longer and have a more 3D affect to filtering or something.

I assume the temperature of the oil has something to do with filter life and wear and tear. I would think cold oil through the filter media would increase fatigue but hi temperature might be worse and cook the media?????

From an Amsoil website for their EA fitlers.....

" Ea Oil Filters' full-synthetic media technology is resin-free to resist degradation from hot oil. It uses a wire screen backing that is pleated with the media for superior strength."

Last edited:
I have no idea but just pondering it can glass media strengthen or weaken at the pleat? I mean glass doesn't bend but not sure what they mean. As in fiberglass I think that does bend and conform???.

I wonder why it fails in the bend of the pleat I would think that would be structurally more stiff and kind of strengthen itself but I guess it mechanically stresses the resin/paper bond during bending.

upload_2015-8-5_3-27-42.png

Amsoil picture not sure if its an EA or EAO filter

I have never noticed this before....

Louvered Center tube - Eliminates media wear during pleat movement ????? Interesting as your failures have been on inside pleats.

Does the center tube holes of the filter cheese grader the media on the inside edge???

I am also now curiously liking the rounded bends of the pleats and wonder if its better than the crease type bend/fold?

Last edited:
Back