• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Official Stacks thread...Love 'Em, Hate 'Em, Whatever...

Been awhile since anyone posted here and I saw a dually with stacks the other day so here ya go.
StackDually.jpg

Still outta the country.....

Hey BTFarm
You're right man. I ain't been around for awhile too. Seeing the pic, reminds me that in another month or so I will be home again. It'll be nice to drive my truck again. Can't say I miss it the most or anything like that, but I do miss driving a good truck. It will be nice to hear the straight pipes again. Hope you're all doing well back in the real world..
Stay safe out there.
Ken

Before:

3ne3pa3ld5V65Y45W0b4kdddf9122ba3f1843.jpg

3m33p03l45V55U25X6b4k17fa4907c0c71d50.jpg

Found on eBay - After:

KGrHqZlE4lqYUvWIBOSsHch3rQ60_12.jpg

You figure this one threw itself in front of a bus in shame after the owner added the HVAC ducting stacks?

Was this in Ohio????
There is one just like that round here.
No it was on I80 at I355 here near Joliet but I did not get to see his plates. Definately a hotshotter so it could be the same guy. I gave him a :thumbsup: but he looked at me like I had 2 heads and one eyeball. That seems to be a typical hotshot reaction to friendly gestures...

I've been bouncing ideas around about doing stacks, I did them for shitz 'n gigs on my old 79 ford van back in the day, it had an old 460 I6 diesel non-turbo. The van had the step bumper, so I cut the holes for the stacks out of the step part at each end of bumper and ran the stacks straight up(covering taillights), all the way to roof then curved straight back. Now I had the ever-so-smart idea to run a straight pipe replacing the stock massive muffler.....BAD idea, resonation was VERY bad until you got to around 55mph+, it would give you an instant migraine when it reached 35mph unless you nearly floored it.

Now, for my 96, I'm sure I'll keep the stock muffler or an aftermarket of same quietness, I plan to use the steel-braid flex pipe, and here are my ideas for what to do. Just a heads up also, I'm not deviating from using straight cut tips with flappers.

Should I run single or dual stacks?
(If I run single, it won't be center-mounted, either driver/passenger.)
How far should I run the exit above the cab?
(The higher you go, the less noise in cab....but too high and it doesn't look right.)
Here are the sizes I'm stuck on choosing(mainly due to availability/cost of parts):
3"(same size as new downpipe, so no deviation in size from turbine to exit)
3.5"(bit bigger, parts cost same as below)
4"(anything bigger and prices of parts pretty much triple)

It's not that I don't make enough money to get kits and stuff, but it's funner for me NOT to be like the rest of the crowd.....and trust me when I say everyone around here has stacks. It's also fun to build/fab your own stuff. So what do you guys think should be done, given those parameters to play with? Also another idea, but I doubt it would look right, running the tubular muffler(s) as part of stack. That used to be seen on old logging trucks around here, I'm not sure how it'll affect the sound levels though.

Yeah, I personally don't like dummy stacks and gasser stacks....gasser stacks don't sound right unless you got a hella long duration exhaust lobe on your cam.

Since ya'll have let this thread die, I'ma rez it with my redneck stack....it ain't purdy, but it's functional....especially as a handwarmer on cold nights LOL

01-31-12_1605.jpg

Here's another nice set of stacks.

Attachments

• Photo0031.jpg
    Photo0031.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 19
im putting 5" aussie stacks on mine,,, i just need to get the rest of the piping for it,,, the tips are just sitting on milk creates in the bed in this pic..

gmcwithstacks.jpg

Back