• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

OBS Banks 6.2L Sidewinder Project

Gotcha, I was interested in his exhaust manifolds and crossover pipe and how they worked out. Do you know if he's still running those with a different turbo?

Gotcha, I was interested in his exhaust manifolds and crossover pipe and how they worked out. Do you know if he's still running those with a different turbo?
He sold the truck a couple years ago. I don’t think the guy that bought it is on here.

There is a thread in the items for sale that He had posted.
I think though that He got rid of most all of it.

You can still get the pass side manifold from Banks, and the other van/ hummer manifold too. I've been meaning to do this upgrade for ages (along with many other projects) and just haven't had the time for the custom fabrication of the crossover under the front of the engine. It seems to me that this is the best alternative to the factory crossover with the exception of a centermount setup

You can still get the pass side manifold from Banks, and the other van/ hummer manifold too. I've been meaning to do this upgrade for ages (along with many other projects) and just haven't had the time for the custom fabrication of the crossover under the front of the engine. It seems to me that this is the best alternative to the factory crossover with the exception of a centermount setup

Link to summit, in the manifold description, says unavailable. 😩

Yep I called Banks directly with the part number and ordered direct from them. Something of a panic buy as they were discontinuing the whole sidewinder kit this spring, and I didn't know if just the manifold itself would be available anymore. Everything is being discontinued in the times of Covid it seems

Yep I called Banks directly with the part number and ordered direct from them. Something of a panic buy as they were discontinuing the whole sidewinder kit this spring, and I didn't know if just the manifold itself would be available anymore. Everything is being discontinued in the times of Covid it seems
Just curious, was it the same price as Summit?

I think so, although at the time it was maybe a little cheaper $351 rings a bell for some reason. I also may have called Summit and they told me the part was discontinued, which was an error on their part as they didn't know the difference between a part and a kit. I'd imagine the price would be the same if coming directly from the supplier.

Do they still make the sidewinder kit for the 6.2? Is it just back ordered? I thought they stoped a while ago.

Banks stuff is really high priced, and the gm manifolds do same thing except turbo sits back a hair farther. There are plenty of turbos better than the gm or the banks unit for most applications.

@K30cucv the actual "kit" from banks which includes everything from manifold to pipe and clamps and whatnot is discontinued.

The manifold itself, the most important part of the kit, is still available as far as I know.

From what I can see the 6.2 kit still used the factory passenger side manifold, which exhausts/ points towards the rear of the engine, and runs new piping that winds from the rear under & across the engine and back to the new manifold part #51002-00. Kit was around 3k which to me was ridiculously priced.

The better setup, in my opinion, is to do what was shown in this thread, using a manifold from a center-mount setup on the driver's side and making a custom shorter crossover under the front of the engine to the sidewinder manifold. The goal here is to reduce the length of the crossover pipe, which on both factory and sidewinder kit is long compared to the custom front crossover.

I'm hoping to start a new thread on this when I attempt to do it for my truck. Hope to get some community input on ideal pipe size (2.25 vs 2.5) and figure out how folks got around the power steering pump interference also referenced in this thread.

Both examples I've seen so far have required modifications to the cast iron manifold: Original poster here pretty much took the driver side centermount manifold, flipped it forward and cut off the 90* vband flange and re- welded the flange with the correct orientation facing downwards.

On another site I saw folks take the passenger side centermount manifold and cut back the vband flange and weld on a street 90* elbow for enough clearance behind the power steering pump.

I'm hoping to do this without having to cut into and modify the cast iron manifold in any way. Leroy mentions in this thread he used the passenger side manifold and references the power steering interference, but I don't know the details of his setup or workaround. Maybe once I get things on a stand they will appear more clear.

@DieselAmateur
Will You comtinue in this thread or start anew all Your own ?
It will be interesting either way.
I wonder if a person cut some plates to bolt to the heads, with the ports cut into them for the head exhaust ports. Use one of those header tube kits with all those mandrel bends and make a custom kind of a header to make a manifold to connect a cross over pipe to.

Back