• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Now a worst farm shop tread

One of the things you guys in warmer climes need to realize is that you can never have too much covered storage. That's why Simon's shop looks crowded. Anything he doesn't want ruined has to stay under cover.

One of the things you guys in warmer climes need to realize is that you can never have too much covered storage. That's why Simon's shop looks crowded. Anything he doesn't want ruined has to stay under cover.

x2

My lot is so small an aerial shot of my place would be almost nothing but rooftops and tarps. :D

Oh, come on Mike, admit it.:D You are a neat freak!!!:grouphug:
Shipshape Barry, shipshape. Absolutely no offense taken. My shop(s) have to have everything where it should be or when I need something right freaking now I'll go nuts. Anyone who farms part time like I did for years knows that the more time it takes you to fix something is less time for field work and you DO NOT have the extra time! You have to go to your regular job so you can waste the money :mad2: farming part time...

:D

AK is right,if i dont keep it under heated cover it'll be all rusted up,under snow and ice or grown in in grass and weeds.

The shop is getting too narrow and low for what i need.I spend a huge amount of time there,rebuilding,repairing and fabricating my own equipment and whatever my neighbors drag in the yard to get done.1/2 the stuff i fix wont fit trough the door and needs fixing outside.
Not too enjoyable in subzero or rainy wheater to say the least:nonod:

What the pics dont show is that the ceiling is about to cave in,the insulation in the walls are riddled with mice and squirel nests and full of holes and the footing is rotted away.

Sure, i can go get a loan and build new,but aint to keen on going deeper in the hole i'm trying to climb out.

But it beats doing without:D

I have made a number of friends in the same (shop) boat as you Bison. If they needed to use my shop for a repair in bad weather it was all theirs as long as it went back to it's neat normal self when they were done. Most times I was more than willing to lend my mechanical/fab skills and materials to help them get back to work. I knew they would return the favor if I ever needed help.
You keep cats around your shop? They sure keep the mice down by me.

Shipshape Barry, shipshape. Absolutely no offense taken. My shop(s) have to have everything where it should be or when I need something right freaking now I'll go nuts. Anyone who farms part time like I did for years knows that the more time it takes you to fix something is less time for field work and you DO NOT have the extra time! You have to go to your regular job so you can waste the money :mad2: farming part time...

:D
I used to farm fulltime(stupid beef) and work parttime to make ends meet,wich never did anyway.
now i farm parttime,still same acreage(bison,best thing since sliced bread) and have plenty time to fix and fabricate to my harts desire.The ends finally meet with a little room to spare.

I hate cleaning up,thats obvious:smile5: But i know where everything hides(more or less:D)One often find things he thought he did'nt have:thumbsup:
IMO cleaning up takes just as much time as fixing,thats when a dirtfloor comes in handy):h

I have made a number of friends in the same (shop) boat as you Bison. If they needed to use my shop for a repair in bad weather it was all theirs as long as it went back to it's neat normal self when they were done. Most times I was more than willing to lend my mechanical/fab skills and materials to help them get back to work. I knew they would return the favor if I ever needed help.
You keep cats around your shop? They sure keep the mice down by me.
I found i always pulled the short stick helping neighbors using my shop to fix their own,missing tools,using supplies(bolts,nuts ,welding rods etc)without replacing them.Only "favors" in return where the use of pieces of equipment that i had to fix first before it could be used.:rolleyes5:

Cats somehow dont like my cute little mices,they want processed food.When I tell them no,go catch mice,they bugger off to the neighbors:rolleyes5:

We ended up buying this fixer-upper home summer of '07. It had a 1 car garage that faced the alley. My first project was to turn it into a 2 car facing the main road. It's a small lot so I did a ton of measuring my "driveway" to maximize space use and make sure I didn't screw myself somewhere in the long run. Built the whole thing by myself. Only help I had was a friend coming over to help pick up and place the overhead beam (size determined by friggen county P&Z...wayyy overkill). My power is still supplied by 2 extension cords coming from the house :rolleyes5: but I'm planning on fixing that remedy next summer. I can then at least use my welder again :thumbsup:

View attachment 11195

View attachment 11196

View attachment 11197

View attachment 11198

View attachment 11199

View attachment 11200

View attachment 11201
Thats the beauty of living out in the bush.
I can build where,what and how ever i want,sure, the county want me to buy a permit,but i never even bother.

Here's a pic of what I have to work in right now. At least until I get moved into the house. 16x30 plus it has my standby genset inside too. I had to open the door to get this pic. Put new ball joints on the pass side and tie rod ends on both sides. I had to roll the front of the truck sideways with a floor jack to get enough room to work on one side then roll it back to work on the other

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 29
When I was a young man I had a smaller garage than that. Old house I bought with a garage built for a Model T or A. Had to struggle to get anything done in there! Cold winter weather I would work outside with an old truck tarp stretched between the garage and the side of the car or truck to block the wind and every so often I'd warm my hands on an old 2 pot kerosene stove I had inside with a pan of hot chocolate sitting on top.

Windy and -5 here this morning. Cuts right through ya. Going through alot of wood to keep the shop above freezing. I always wanted to do one of those wood burning furnaces in there but didn't have the 1200 bucks or so for it.

Here's a pic of what I have to work in right now. At least until I get moved into the house. 16x30 plus it has my standby genset inside too. I had to open the door to get this pic. Put new ball joints on the pass side and tie rod ends on both sides. I had to roll the front of the truck sideways with a floor jack to get enough room to work on one side then roll it back to work on the other
somehow i dont feel so bad now:D

Wow, you guys have some cold weather. I am feeling the 24*F here in the Atlanta area this morning and I feel like a woosy. This is a heat wave compared to what some of you have.

Since we are on I remember. I remember laying in the snow removing the starter out of my car, repairing it, and reinstalling it. I didn't have any garage and that really cost me a serious case of pneumonia.

Wow, you guys have some cold weather. I am feeling the 24*F here in the Atlanta area this morning and I feel like a woosy. This is a heat wave compared to what some of you have.

Since we are on I remember. I remember laying in the snow removing the starter out of my car, repairing it, and reinstalling it. I didn't have any garage and that really cost me a serious case of pneumonia.
If being in the cold would cause a pneumonia,i would be sick all winter long.:smile5:
Its a virus causing that.

I think not being warm and laying in the snow exhausted my body and made it susceptible to the virus.

The virus is always there. It is the bodies immune system that keeps the body from letting the virus get in control.

Anyway, I survived to get pneumonia again.

Back