• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

"NOTICE" P400 motors are no more!!

P400 rods - 200$ ea
P400 pistons w/pin - 115$ each...
P400 bearing set - 12$ per cly/rod
P400 piston rings - 55$ per piston

I confirmed rod & piston will interchange with other 6.x motors.

And I think I can get 18:1 P400 pistons also...

I recall reading on penninsular's website that they were not using the p400 for their marine engine base due to the fact gep would not supply them with 18:1 pistons factory installed. I would assume all 6.5 18:1 pistons are the same.

It won't be the l5p like in the pickups, it will most likely be something of BANKS's creation since they have the new military contract last I heard. Banks is building there own duramax engines using custom cgi blocks(cast in the GM foundry's using Banks spec's), a forged crank, steel monotherm piston's, and the short block's were all assembled on the DURAMAX line, then shipped back to Bank's to be finished. He posted pictures of them in the plant being built a few years ago. Gale has been HEAVILY involvef with GM since they got awarded the military engine contract. He had an L5P running on his dyno before test mules were even built.

Where is the latest with banks on that supercharged and turbo charged lp5 set up he spoke about?
Wonder if that is something he put together in this package.

Also the dmax is the jltv engine, so makes sense to use one drivetrain platform.

I confirmed rod & piston will interchange with other 6.x motors.

Just so I'm crystal clear, this interchange would work both ways, right? Not that you'd want to, but if somewhere way down the road you had no other choice, the regular 6.x rods/pistons would work in the p400 as long as you used a whole set for proper balance?

That said, how much better are the p400 rods/pistons? Is it cast nodular iron 350 2 barrel junker rods vs forged 455 Super Duty beasts, or more like factory forged vs aftermarket forged?

Just so I'm crystal clear, this interchange would work both ways, right? Not that you'd want to, but if somewhere way down the road you had no other choice, the regular 6.x rods/pistons would work in the p400 as long as you used a whole set for proper balance?

That said, how much better are the p400 rods/pistons? Is it cast nodular iron 350 2 barrel junker rods vs forged 455 Super Duty beasts, or more like factory forged vs aftermarket forged?

P400 rods & pistons are true diesel design, I will try and post pics of them side by side today or tomorrow. They are not left over parts from something else..

@Dullahan Basically, they are getting rid of the wrong engine. p400 is so much better- every factory improvement you could wish for was made into the p400.

While that's true, most folks like myself can't afford one. I'd love to put on in my stepside. But in my current financial situation it's just never going to happen.

Where is the latest with banks on that supercharged and turbo charged lp5 set up he spoke about?
Wonder if that is something he put together in this package.

Also the dmax is the jltv engine, so makes sense to use one drivetrain platform.
He post's tidbits on facebook every now and then about them. I know he's primarily focusing on his engine that he designed and had built. It's a duramax, but like none that GM has made. He said there was stuff in the L5P that he actually liked better like the rod design that GM came up with. And I'm pretty sure his engine is a 7.1L stroker as that was his creation years back.

@Dullahan Basically, they are getting rid of the wrong engine. p400 is so much better- every factory improvement you could wish for was made into the p400.
As I understand it, no humvee ever got the p400, and it was a limited use engine for the military. So for them it made more sense to stick with the optimizer for the remaining 6.5l needs. What would concern me if I still had a 6.5 is the military is what was keeping the 6.5l alive. GM has long since abandoned it, and the aftermarket hasn't really adopted it. So you may want to stock up on spare parts as big parts may start becoming scarce, or way up in price for whats left.

As I understand it, no humvee ever got the p400, and it was a limited use engine for the military. So for them it made more sense to stick with the optimizer for the remaining 6.5l needs. What would concern me if I still had a 6.5 is the military is what was keeping the 6.5l alive. GM has long since abandoned it, and the aftermarket hasn't really adopted it. So you may want to stock up on spare parts as big parts may start becoming scarce, or way up in price for whats left.

Or you’re going to prepare a step by step how to write up on a GMT 400 Duramax conversion.

@THEFERMANATOR there are hmmwvs here that got the p400. Do you know what else they put the p400 into? Afaik hmmwv was the only thing they used it in. They just didn’t do a ton of them. I’ve seen a few of them.

AVA was the reason for the shortage about 2 years ago. They were up fitting so many hmmwvs for the middle east customers (gubmints) that it killed the normal run.

Typing that got me to thinking and I called him up about this before posting because they do the p400 in the Humvee c series - (fully decked out at $475,000) And was wondering if they were stocking up on parts too.

*ACCORDING TO ERIC* this is another build delay by GEP. They aren’t ending it’s run- just putting on hold until they can get larger orders from contracts - like if the US or another military were to order a couple thousand. Not sure if he is correct or guessing, hut they are the ones that hold the rights to the Humvee c series, advaced cooling and intake system (not gfd), also the magnetic suspension system, so his company works all the time with AM General/ GEP. He said they currently average about 5,000 optimizers and 500 p400 annually. They have subsidiary companies that sell to public and handle resale of all the hmmwv parts. They even have unavailable systems like 97.5 a/c upgrade, complete alpha interior bases, etc that no one else can come up with at any price. But they don’t ever advertise to the public- they go through resellers. Their exclusive contract with AM General on the Humvee C series ends in 2020, and he said they are only planning on 5 more of the wazoo units, and maybe a few more of the base units ($200,000ish). But they are starting to sell some parts direct because they aren’t going to continue after 2020 and they want the system in place for parts supplies after they release rights and AM General contracts with someone new.

The astriks are because he is a salesman, and ya never really know why they say what they say. and I was a tool salesman long enough to learn- trust but verify... Some of his related companies have questionable advertising.

@Twisted Steel Performance can you share any info from GEP to clarify?

Cleaning things up is the means to an end....I remember the Swedes testing low sulfur diesel before it was 1st released in the 1990's noting that it would destroy IP & other seals in the fuel system and it did. I had a few Mercedes diesels at the time and the seals were on global back order so I went back to gasoline powered vehicles for a short spell.

Then we have ethanol tainted fuels eating away a seals and hoses of older vehicles with the sticker shock of repair costs having owners junking the vehicle.

Again in the early 90's the Swedes pointed out to the industry that compound turbocharging was perhaps the best route to make diesels run cleaner while being more efficient....

@THEFERMANATOR there are hmmwvs here that got the p400. Do you know what else they put the p400 into? Afaik hmmwv was the only thing they used it in. They just didn’t do a ton of them. I’ve seen a few of them.

AVA was the reason for the shortage about 2 years ago. They were up fitting so many hmmwvs for the middle east customers (gubmints) that it killed the normal run.

Typing that got me to thinking and I called him up about this before posting because they do the p400 in the Humvee c series - (fully decked out at $475,000) And was wondering if they were stocking up on parts too.

*ACCORDING TO ERIC* this is another build delay by GEP. They aren’t ending it’s run- just putting on hold until they can get larger orders from contracts - like if the US or another military were to order a couple thousand. Not sure if he is correct or guessing, hut they are the ones that hold the rights to the Humvee c series, advaced cooling and intake system (not gfd), also the magnetic suspension system, so his company works all the time with AM General/ GEP. He said they currently average about 5,000 optimizers and 500 p400 annually. They have subsidiary companies that sell to public and handle resale of all the hmmwv parts. They even have unavailable systems like 97.5 a/c upgrade, complete alpha interior bases, etc that no one else can come up with at any price. But they don’t ever advertise to the public- they go through resellers. Their exclusive contract with AM General on the Humvee C series ends in 2020, and he said they are only planning on 5 more of the wazoo units, and maybe a few more of the base units ($200,000ish). But they are starting to sell some parts direct because they aren’t going to continue after 2020 and they want the system in place for parts supplies after they release rights and AM General contracts with someone new.

The astriks are because he is a salesman, and ya never really know why they say what they say. and I was a tool salesman long enough to learn- trust but verify... Some of his related companies have questionable advertising.

@Twisted Steel Performance can you share any info from GEP to clarify?
I was relaying what I was told is all. They said to never expect to see a p400 takeout because they never made it to the hummvee.

Back to the duramax aspect, there may be hope with the new L5P and swaps. A trusted source posted elsewhere that Banks has L5P test mules running with E35 ECM's(E35A was the Bosch controller used for LBZ, and E35B was used on LMM's). This could be HUGE for swaps. Getting the best DURAMAX to date with an easy to tune ECM.

I wouldn't worry about the military using the 6.5l for too much longer. The Marine Corps has gone to the JLTV, Joint Light Tactical Vehicle, which has a Gale Banks based 6.6 Duramax. I saw a couple of the JLTVs driving around 29 Palms a few months back, and they are a ton quieter than the MATV!

Back