• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

"NOTICE" P400 motors are no more!!

Hmmwvs are still in full production at AM General. They have already announced they will continue building them through 2025, and support parts for 10 years minimum after that.

About 8-9 months after they released that info was the release that they are building more for other countries.

The JLTV is far superior on the baddle field. Completely impractical running around bases and to equip most of the nato countries with them would take approximately 20 years.

Hmmwvs aren’t going anywhere. The possibility that future renovations / upgrades of Hmmwvs including a dmax is far more likely than replacing them all with JLTVs.

Well, if I get the new job back in the middle east ( to the tune of $357.75 a day) ( tax free) I may look for a P400. Otherwise I may have to go to rebuild my '92 block and hope for the best but prepare for the worst 😩

Well, if I get the new job back in the middle east ( to the tune of $357.75 a day) ( tax free) I may look for a P400. Otherwise I may have to go to rebuild my '92 block and hope for the best but prepare for the worst 😩
Aren't the 92 to like 94 blocks better than the later piston squirter blocks? I know my 94 Burb had a long block warranty replacement in like 1997 and it is a 506 block with diamond precups. I just picked up a block from a 95 Burb and it is a 506 block with square precups. So I'm thinking somewhere around 96 they went to diamond precups.

Okay, question for you more knowledged folks. I can get an optimizer engine complete( pull out) for $2500. Plus $200. Shipping from a dealer. What would be the process to swap it into my '94 gmc K2500? Anything extra or a direct swap?
I wasn't in that part of the loop....
Some single parts will still be available like heads, etc... just don't know for how long..

Okay, question for you more knowledged folks. I can get an optimizer engine complete( pull out) for $2500. Plus $200. Shipping from a dealer. What would be the process to swap it into my '94 gmc K2500? Anything extra or a direct swap?
That is a direct bolt-in, HOWEVER, if it's a pull out from a military Hummer, you're going to want to tear it down and inspect it. Likely you're going to do new bearings at least. Then you might as well hone it and put new rings in it. Also do timing set (might as well do gears instead of a chain setup). There may be other surprises as well. Plus you may end up needing the crank machined (might as well polish it regardless) and if you need it bored.....maybe the heads are cracked...... If you were willing to spend the coin on a P400, you should probably be able to invest in a brand new Optimizer. Your cost won't be too far off when all is said and done and then you have a brand new engine with less hassle. Just my $0.02.

That is a direct bolt-in, HOWEVER, if it's a pull out from a military Hummer, you're going to want to tear it down and inspect it. Likely you're going to do new bearings at least. Then you might as well hone it and put new rings in it. Also do timing set (might as well do gears instead of a chain setup). There may be other surprises as well. Plus you may end up needing the crank machined (might as well polish it regardless) and if you need it bored.....maybe the heads are cracked...... If you were willing to spend the coin on a P400, you should probably be able to invest in a brand new Optimizer. Your cost won't be too far off when all is said and done and then you have a brand new engine with less hassle. Just my $0.02.
Buyinauto.com

I am told it is out of a civilian 96 K2500 pickup truck. Must have been swapped in then wrecked? When were the 6500s first introduced? Comes with a 1 year warranty.

92 was the first year for the 6.5.

Sorry my bad Money back guarantee.

I guess it depends what you're doing with it. If you're putting it in and leaving the truck stock, it would probably be ok. If you want to start playing with it and want to be sure it lasts, then you'll probably want to open it up. Personal preference I guess is the best answer. Either way, me personally, I would open it up and make sure everything looks ok before swapping it in - I'd rather just swap it in once and not swap it then find out later that it has some issues..... And then if you do open it up, and start finding things, well then you're back in the same boat. I bought a $900 used Optimizer and I think by the time I had it installed I think I had $4000, but I don't remember now. However, I would do it again, so I don't want to dissuade you, I just want to give you some perspective and info to make a decision by.

92 was the first year for the 6.5.

I guess it depends what you're doing with it. If you're putting it in and leaving the truck stock, it would probably be ok. If you want to start playing with it and want to be sure it lasts, then you'll probably want to open it up. Personal preference I guess is the best answer. Either way, me personally, I would open it up and make sure everything looks ok before swapping it in - I'd rather just swap it in once and not swap it then find out later that it has some issues..... And then if you do open it up, and start finding things, well then you're back in the same boat. I bought a $900 used Optimizer and I think by the time I had it installed I think I had $4000, but I don't remember now. However, I would do it again, so I don't want to dissuade you, I just want to give you some perspective and info to make a decision by.
Well I guess I will have to wait and see what happens with the SW Asia gig. If it goes through I will be purchasing a new or at least reman optimizer unless a P400 drops in my lap 😏😉😎

Don't forget the fact that if it was NA then likely even if you see piston squirters, the NA bearings without the holes would have been installed. And if you're going to be running a turbo and wanting to get any good power out of it, you won't have that piston cooling. Also, NA motors don't have the coated pistons.
Don't ask me how I know. : )>

Don't forget the fact that if it was NA then likely even if you see piston squirters, the NA bearings without the holes would have been installed. And if you're going to be running a turbo and wanting to get any good power out of it, you won't have that piston cooling. Also, NA motors don't have the coated pistons.
Don't ask me how I know. : )>
Yes. Thanks for keeping me in check, Hink ;)

Back