• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No Power steering or brakes - PS Tank overflowing

Was I supposed to swap that out? I never did that before.
Update - Still whining

Last edited:
Eerily similar situation here. I'm following this closely. I loaned my truck to a friend for a couple days of hard off-road use (he's a trapper and his vehicle took a stick through the radiator) and this is what I got back. No loss of fluid. No overflowing fluid like Mike had. No whining at all, not even at steering stop like it used to. Mine is intermittent as well. However, it ALWAYS seems to work fine (or better anyway) at higher rpm's. I notice a little loss in braking at slower, decelerating or parking lot type maneuvers, but mostly all loss of power steering. Hit the gas a bit and I can whip right in. Initial signs point to the pump, yes?

I was just going to start tearing into it after work and checking things as I go, but from what I've read here and elsewhere, it seems I may benefit from a system flush first and foremost. Never been done. Probably cause it doesn't say to in my manual anywhere. Totally makes sense to do it, though. 87k on the odometer, but can't find anyone to recal my computer for those tires, so it's probably above 90k at this point. Also plan to go to synthetic. Makes sense as well. I don't hardly do any heavy towing, but lots of harder off road use steering in ruts and mud and stuff.

Somewhere else I read the pump shaft can fail internally, causing intermittent use. Also read the failed check valve in the pump could cause this. In either case = new pump. No problem. Just wondering if I should spend a few bucks and flush it first (I will also check for kinked lines cause either way it sounds like a restriction somewhere as opposed to a flat out broken part)??

Thanks!

Thank you sir. Found it and it sounds really good. This should flush the steering lines as well as the hydro boost system that way. Not sure if I have a cooler until I look.

BTW, I forgot to mention I recently replaced my steering gearbox. Wife drove it that time. I need to stop letting other people drive my truck. It gets expensive. Anyway, I mention in case someone is thinking along other lines than me, but I REALLY don't think a faulty or recently broken gear would give me the symptoms I'm having. I know as a member of this forum, more info is best. You guys are the most knowledgeable of most forums I browse, hence the only one I joined.

From some recent reading since my last post, a faulty (stuck open) check valve in my pump could totally cause this I see. Think I'll flush first and see what happens though. Just trying to decide if I flush with old regular stuff or synthetic first. Therein lies my gamble, but one I need to take. Oh well, still cheaper and smarter than replacing parts willy nilly.

Thanks again! I'll follow up with my results as well.

I only had to pay about $15 the other day for the NAPA fluid gallon. I thought that was 'reasonable'...

Update - Still whining

I did not expect it to be a bleeding error but decent info for someone reading thread.

Now I am just curious why its so hard to find a good remanufactured unit. I have never seen the internals or know how they work. Just you wouldn't think a part that usually lasts so long as OE is so hard to get replaced with a good unit.

Are the tolerances tight or surface finishes critical? Something about once remanufacturers separate the units and rework or replace parts out of spec they can never match up the wear pattern established in related parts still in specification. And to save money they reused related parts in spec instead of replacing "tight fitting parts as matched pieces". Kinda sorta like its not good to replace a worn bearing but not the race. Maybe the remanufactured units that work good are actually cleaned up units still within specification. Or the good remanufacturers just do a better job of keeping units whole????? Or is it just poor quality control?

Honestly I've never had trouble with a remanufactured one before but it's been very many years ago for the last one. I'll talk to them tonight and swap it out again Saturday

Well, I did the flush procedure last weekend. Ran 1.5 gallons through the system before it started looking good. Guess it needed it anyway like I was thinking. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the overall problem. I was just about to pull the trigger on the hydro boost unit when a mechanic friend of mine stopped by and we shot the $#!^ and he leaned more towards the pump. In the end it wasn't quite a coin toss. I went the cheaper/easier one first. A week later and my NAPA refurbished power steering pump has apparently fixed the problem. I have full power assisted steering while I'm mashing on the brakes. Just ask my dog. He went on the test drive with me and was none too happy getting violently thrown to the floor boards every 3 minutes over 40 miles.

Not related, but I found and fixed a phantom popping sound I was getting in the steering. Ever since I replaced the gearbox my wife broke I spoke of above, it still had a popping sound at an exact same steering spot. She took out the left tie rod end as well. Heavy duty Moog one too. Dang!

Hope that helps some of you other guys!

Good deal. Thanks for the update.
I did swap to another rebuild last Saturday. Makes a bit of noise when the fluid is warmed up. It's been too cold to worry about it though.

Just had similar problem on the wife's '06 Duramax Sunday morning. Started truck up and no brakes or steering, Popped the cap off the power steering reservoir. A lot of back pressure and blew oil out. Tried to turn truck around to work on it, and I could not turn the steering. I'm a pretty big guy and could not get steering wheel to move. Rocking back and forth going from drive to reverse, and eventually heard a pop and felt it through the steering wheel, and I had steering and brakes. Topped off reservoir and went for a test drive. Brakes and steering working, but a definite drag on the steering wheel when turning to the right - left is just fine. When stopped turning left ok with or without brakes on. Turning to right with brakes on drag on steering wheel at start of turn, drag gets a lot heavier after about 3/4 turn of the steering wheel and then resistance starts dropping until I hit the lock. Still a little pressure when pulling cap of reservoir - light hiss but no oil gushers.

Planning on putting in a new steering box this weekend because because all the drag and problems are only when turning to the right. Anybody had this problem or suggestions.

Truck is 2 WD and the steering box is easy to get to from underneath. I've already have the box mount bolts are loose, clamp bolt on u-joint at steering box input shaft. Already made a run to NAPA - there is a 32 spline and 33 spline steering box and a 3 groove and 4 groove pitmnan arm so I'm going to pull the box 1st so I can get the right parts.

Going to stop where I'm at until I get some feedback from members............

Did you put it on stands and run everything back and forth? I'm guessing steering box too but I'd want to check everything else out first.

The SAGINAW box requires more flow to turn to one direction than the other. I'm pretty sure it was right that took more volume to do. I ran into this years back when I worked at a dealership. DODGE techline said to do a box because cold it would turn to the left, but not right. Put in a new box and the same exact results. The shop got me a power steering pump tester, and we found it was only putting out 2CFM of fluid, and the spec called for 2.2 at idle. Put in a new box and it turned fine either direction. The most common cause of this is a sticking pressure valve in the back of the pump. I know on the old style pumps you could pull just the outlet fitting out, polish it with scotch brite, and fix it most of the time.

After reading this thread, decided to change the pump first. Replaced all the hoses. I've always replaced pump + reservoir in the past. This time none local, but O'Rielly had a pump. Decided to give it a try. Not to difficult. Had to make a jig out of some plywood to support the reservoir, a little tapping with some 2 inch bolts in place of the mounting studs broke the old o-ring loose. Square o-ring with the pump was undersized, but the one from the old pump was in good shape.

FYI for anyone else swapping the pump - take some pictures of the wiring harness routing around the hard pipes going into the pump. Wiring harness goes inside one of the loops - it won't fit on the outside.

Everything looks good so far - no whine or drag when turning right, even under hard breaking. We'll see how well it goes. I hope the rebuilt pump lasts. Last time I replaced the pump on the old '94, I went through 3 pumps. Bearing on the pulley side of the shaft kept disintegrating within a week. 4th pump was an AC/Delco boxed rebuild from a different source. Found out later it was also a A-1 Cardone rebuild, but it lasted until I parked the '94 and started on the '95 Yukon.

SON OF A!!!!! Again! Sorry for the bump on this old thread, but fishing for a little advice. As you can read, I replaced my pump a year ago. The thing just took a dump on me again about 2 weeks ago. Called up NAPA and they verified I bought it on Valentine's Day last year, and I could get a free replacement under warranty (just under the wire). So, I swapped it out and put another NAPA reman in about a week, 10 days ago. Ran good for a week, and while dragging my roads with my 1600 lb steel drag, it did it again!!!! Are those pumps really that iffy as some of you state? Am I chasing the wrong thing? I really think not since the replacement fixed the problem for about a week. It was a little sticky and whiny at times, but I think I may have just had air in the system I never bled (read further below). Just pulling some heavy weight in 4wd and driving around on wet/slightly muddy gravel roads shouldn't overwork the system right? When I stopped that day, only weird thing was my reservoir was completely full as if I had a clogged pressure line somewhere. That has since alleviated itself, and I am right back to square one again.

I put the front up on jacks and turned and braked in all sorts of combinations with really no problems. A friend watched and noticed some air bubbles returning to the reservoir, so I chased that route for awhile (probably the slight stickiness and whining I explained I saw for that interim week above). Did well over 20-30 stop to stop turns with brakes both on and off to try and purge the air until no more bubbles showed up (I didn't properly bleed and flush as before, just let it all come back to reservoir). Dropped it down off the jacks and I can't even turn the tires sitting on gravel with weight. Again, only time I can steer is at speed. Brakes still seem to work as they should, although somewhat mushier. And, again, as soon as I brake, total loss of power steering. I need yet another pump, yes?? Any good recommendations as to brand etc.? I'm spending the $$$ this time. No more NAPA pumps for me. I will do a flush before and after to see if I gummed up anything, but I can tell this pump is no good. Any reason anyone sees (or has personal experience) for me to even look at either the hydroboost or the gearbox itself? I'm second-guessing myself because of this horrible luck. I'm usually very good at troubleshooting even complex systems, but when weird $#!% happens.....ya know how it goes.

Thanks folks!!

There is an excellent upgrade pump that has correct pressure and increased volume with long life, I have to find the info. Hummers (a couple years newer than mine) use same pump as pickups. But the factory pump struggles under the added weight. Today's the wife's b-day, so idk how quick I can find the info. It is what I will be using I the future.

Mine and older Hummers use a detached resivour, otherwise same pump.

I believe this is the correct one, but call their customer service to verify exact application. PSCmotorsports is well known through the off road and racing community as top notch.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motor...ormance-p-pump-with-hydroboost-can-21294.html

If one of the vendors here offers upgraded pumps in stead of stock or rebuilt ones, I apologize for posting a hot link, pleas have the link killed and post up what you have for sale with specs.

Thanks Will!

And, yes, if there's a vendor here with something beefier than stock, let me know ASAP. I already ordered a stock ACDelco pump off GMPartsDirect (where I tend to get factory parts when all else fails) figuring it's GOTTA be better than these NAPA reman's. I can always send it back.

I did come across PSC earlier today in my blind stumblings through ye ol' interweb. Of course, I was doing vehicle specific searches, which yielded nothing. I should have called. Same at AGR Performance, but I got sidetracked and forgot to study them. Anybody know anything there?

Again thanks, look forward to learning if there is an aftermarket pump that outshines OEM.

BTW, anyone know stock pump pressure relief setting and flow rate as compared to these bad boys?

Thanks all!!

Psi is kept the same, because higher pressure will cause damage. Can't remember flow numbers. Long life is the best advantage IMO.

Back