• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No Power steering or brakes - PS Tank overflowing

Happy birthday to mrs. Will L.

Ditto!

And thanks to you sir. You did say same pressure and increased flow, didn't you? I got so excited to hear someone out there makes SOMETHING that I read your original message too fast. I'm calling them manana.

Now go celebrate with the Mrs.;)

Thanks Will!

And, yes, if there's a vendor here with something beefier than stock, let me know ASAP. I already ordered a stock ACDelco pump off GMPartsDirect (where I tend to get factory parts when all else fails) figuring it's GOTTA be better than these NAPA reman's. I can always send it back.

I did come across PSC earlier today in my blind stumblings through ye ol' interweb. Of course, I was doing vehicle specific searches, which yielded nothing. I should have called. Same at AGR Performance, but I got sidetracked and forgot to study them. Anybody know anything there?

Again thanks, look forward to learning if there is an aftermarket pump that outshines OEM.

BTW, anyone know stock pump pressure relief setting and flow rate as compared to these bad boys?

Thanks all!!

"Are those pumps really that iffy as some of you state?"

Parts quality has really gone downhill making re-work a very real regular occurrence on stuff you already fixed once. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's a good part - start troubleshooting over.

Don't take my word for it - experience the fun of changing your PS pump with a garbage reman over and over. No thanks been there done that and have better things to do! If you don't have a new budget get a working pump that hasn't ever officially failed out of a junk yard. Odds are that it will last longer than a broken repainted pump. Note I did not use the word fixed because IMO they aren't. Just a flaky poor paint job on a core broken pump. Maybe they went to the junkyard and put a coat of paint on a random used pump. It's got a lifetime warranty: what could possibly go wrong?

To avoid problems the all out fix is a expensive brand new virgin pump. (Not used, not overhauled, not fixed, not reman.) After all your OEM pump went a long time without any oil changes. Then make sure you flush the system and put a filter on the steering box return line: the hydrobooster line can hold the brakes on with any restriction like a clogged filter so don't touch it. If the system is dusted or full of grit from the old pump death your only corrective action is to replace all of it. The only flushable part is the cooler. There is no way to get the grit out of the steering box or hydrobooster.

After replacing all of it: the box, hydrobooster, hoses, and pump do you know how much fun it is to do it all over because the reman pump dusted the system in 30 min flat? The failure was noticed on an alignment rack as an major oil leak because the shaft moved 1/8" and was no longer touching the seal. The remaining oil was re-used as a snow globe. 5 remans later - I no longer buy reman PS pumps.

H
"Are those pumps really that iffy as some of you state?"

Parts quality has really gone downhill making re-work a very real regular occurrence on stuff you already fixed once. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's a good part - start troubleshooting over.

Don't take my word for it - experience the fun of changing your PS pump with a garbage reman over and over. No thanks been there done that and have better things to do! If you don't have a new budget get a working pump that hasn't ever officially failed out of a junk yard. Odds are that it will last longer than a broken repainted pump. Note I did not use the word fixed because IMO they aren't. Just a flaky poor paint job on a core broken pump. Maybe they went to the junkyard and put a coat of paint on a random used pump. It's got a lifetime warranty: what could possibly go wrong?

To avoid problems the all out fix is a expensive brand new virgin pump. (Not used, not overhauled, not fixed, not reman.) After all your OEM pump went a long time without any oil changes. Then make sure you flush the system and put a filter on the steering box return line: the hydrobooster line can hold the brakes on with any restriction like a clogged filter so don't touch it. If the system is dusted or full of grit from the old pump death your only corrective action is to replace all of it. The only flushable part is the cooler. There is no way to get the grit out of the steering box or hydrobooster.

After replacing all of it: the box, hydrobooster, hoses, and pump do you know how much fun it is to do it all over because the reman pump dusted the system in 30 min flat? The failure was noticed on an alignment rack as an major oil leak because the shaft moved 1/8" and was no longer touching the seal. The remaining oil was re-used as a snow globe. 5 remans later - I no longer buy reman PS pumps.

Heard ya loud and clear sir. On it! I recall you said some of the same things last year farther up this thread. Thanks again for the input sir. I'm gonna actually flush and clean existing BEFORE I put in a new one so as to accomplish some of that. Get the old gunk out and see if some scary large metal bits come out or not. If I can get new fluid flowing throughout the system and even turning tires and clamping brakes with this old POS pump, and feel reasonably well that my other parts are still OK, then I'll go in with the new pump and do another flush and purge to make dang sure this time. That's my only worry...did I foul up the HB or gearbox too now. Thanks!!

She's 29 again she says. Used to be she was 21, then this last year we were married 21 years, so she moved the numbers.

Hunter-Like warWagon said- can't flush a box. You can reseal it and clean while its apart if you have shiny fluid.

On a related thought it's possible I had some knock off pumps. "Knock off" parts are a real possibility and source of trouble as we found with a troublesome batch of reman HVAC control heads. The aftermarket manufacturer chimed in and informed us they never repaired/sold control heads.

Well as for the reman pumps... never again unless I have no choice. I need to order a new one so I have it on hand.

Just got off the phone with PSC. They now recommend the SP1404 instead of the Borgeson. The Borgeson is a reman also (albeit better), and theirs (PSC's) is new. Whopping $220 but I don't care. I already ordered one and will send the ACDelco back to GMPartsDirect.com when it comes in.

FYI, PSC also said in their experience, they have found that when you lift these trucks like mine and try and turn the bigger tires, they felt the gearbox is the real problem. It just causes the stock pump to reach for max pressure and flow ALL THE TIME. They are almost done designing and going to market with a new PSC gearbox for these trucks that will pair with that pump nicely and really push those bigger meats around at all speeds and loads, not to mention plenty of oomph left with the pump to stop the beast. Looking forward to seeing that.

I'll let y'all know how the install goes and the results. It's in the proverbial mail.

FWIW, I replaced mine with a new-in-box AC Delco from Amazon and I haven't heard any complaints that it's not working anymore. With a lift and tires, that's a whole different scenario, though.

Yeah, I was on that route myself until the guy at PSC convinced theirs was even better. After reading all this here, it's just gotta be the fact the reman pumps are junk. My only saving grace is the last 2 fell under NAPA's 1 year warranty, so really I got like 7 years out of the OEM one, and a year and change out of 3 reman's after that....all for the price of 1 reman, so whew! I figured another 7 years out of a new ACDelco one is 100 times better than a reman, then I talked to PSC.

Was able to cancel the ACDelco one before it shipped, and awaiting tracking on that new $220 pump. :vomit:

I've been a HUGE fan of ACDelco for years, but their quality is slipping. Idk what changes they are making but I no longer blindly get new AC Delco and count it as perfect. I really hope they find and fix the issues- things like their pumps were always great.

PSC has astonishing success in their field. Best answer for a stock truck- idk. But once you play with tires or doing more than driving on road, it's piece of mind.

I don't know them, and only installed their stuff on friends toys- but it's enough to know where I'm going when it's time.

My wife is an Amazon addict. Yep, I've gotten parts through them. But call AC Delco and talk to them about warranty of Amazon bought parts- ongoing legal fight for a few years now. AC Delco will take care of it last I one I did. But they hate Amazon.

Ordered a new PSC one from Amazon for $158. The rebuilt is getting more noisy as days pass and showing signs of being weaker. I'm heading to Texas in a couple of months so I figured it's something I should get done.

I forgot to follow up. Sorry all. I installed my new PSC 2 Friday's ago. Man what a difference!! Why did I live with that old one for so long? I gotta say, the first rebuild I put in there over a year ago must have been weak or worn out or something. It got me by for almost a year, but I sort of just lived with it cause I had "pseudo-power steering" for so long. When it became absolutely impossible to turn, I jumped on it. That next NAPA reman was really crappy for the week it worked also as "pseudo-power steering," then it died completely. It's almost as if the pressure relief gets jammed open on these dang things. You have a little steering, more at speed (of course....nothing to do with the pump) and a little hydroboost, then it just goes to pot.

Anyway, yeah. the PSC model# SP1404 went in just like factory. Only difference being the pressureless return from the hydroboost to tank is plumbed into a different side of the tank than my OEM was. But they say it's good for about 10 model years, so maybe the difference is just in my '08. Oh, and it's chrome in color. Chrome won't get you home....unless it's a PSC pump!!

Speaking of chrome won't get you home....I gotta figure out how to post pics. I spent last weekend "blacking" out my truck. I think it looks pretty bad a$$.

Get it in there. You'll love it!!

And yes, I'm still knocking on wood as I type this.:D

Back