• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!
That was also my guess. I’m assuming the trans is completely fried but I suppose slapping it back together and giving it another shot can’t hurt. A rebuild is double what I paid for the truck so it will be a junkyard replacement if needed

Do you have a tranny temp gauge? That looks like either (a) you boiled the hell out of it..or (b) did you add fluid recently and possibly put wrong kind in? Like regular dex/Merc than accidentally added synthetic?...just ideas. I'm not tranny expert. But that I know of coolant don't go in tranny.. tranny fluid goes up to tranny cooler to cool it off then back to tranny..but I could be wrong.
No temp gauge I bought it drove it on a trailer and off the trailer and here we are lol

So, when the engine is hot you could have near 16 psi. The. You shut off the engine and the pressure stays the same or actually increase slightly for a while when there is no pressure in the trans cooler lines.
But when the engine is cold after sitting overnight it is whatever the outside temperature is- say 60f for instance.
Within 10 seconds of starting the engine the transmission pump is putting more than 20 psi out through the cooler lines.

So yes antifreeze could get into your transmission after running. But there would also be atf in your antifreeze.

Go check that now.

IF the antifreeze is perfect- then you got water into the transmission. Probably from driving the rig in deep water and they didn’t know to add risers to the vent line to stop that issue.

I would still do a proper radiator test by removing the trans cooler lines and pressure testing the radiator.
Then you can do air pressure testing into the trans cooler lines and watch for air bubbles in the radiator.

You will be flushing those cooler lines anyway while the transmission is getting rebuilt.

I have seen about 20 transmissions get water or anti freeze in them over the years.
So far the transmissions that lasted 100 miles afterwards is exactly 0.
Full rebuild. New tc. Don’t waste your time or money doing anything less.

Antifreeze still looks green from what I can see. I bought the truck from a 19 year old kid who claims it was never in water. But the yoke on the rear end also has bolts snapped off in it. Water in transmission plus busted u joint bolts to me seem related but I could be wrong

Yank that trans and then put one line into a bucket. Use air blower on other one and blow out the milkshake in the lines. If you dont have a line plug, slip a rubber hose over it and hoseclamp it on. Then with another hose clamp secure a bolt in the end of the rubber hose as a plug. Then pressurize the line to see. Fingers crossed you don’t need a radiator also.

Something that works sometimes is call back who you bought it from and tell them you are doing new trans and fixin other stuff. And now that they don’t have to give the money back, please tell me what else to look at so you can fix everything all at once.
Sometimes they come clean with stuff.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I could cap the holes in the existing radiator and plumb the trans lines to a separate cooler and never worry about it again right?

Check your dipstick and the seal there. It's not uncommon for water to leak down by the hood and get in through the dipstick. That is without a doubt water in the fluid, overheating cooks it black. And the glue that bonds the clutch material to the discs is water soluble, so water in the fluid is a death sentence for a transmission.

Back