• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No crank with whining noise

Do you have 12v at "D" and "B" the red wires on the ignition switch connector wires? The other switch that isn't installed you can manually move to crank: plug it in and retest. Assuming you still have SES light and radio lighting up?
Yes have power at red wires ses light and radio. Here’s the switch that looks like it missing wires

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 4
Check the purple wire connecter and make sure it's clean and corrosion free. Also make sure it makes enough physical contact. Might be distorted from heat

Mixing up the two diagrams... They show different things. The first one shows yellow wire fron ign switch to gear select switch then gear select to purple starter wire.

Do you have 12v at "D" and "B" the red wires on the ignition switch connector wires? The other switch that isn't installed you can manually move to crank: plug it in and retest. Assuming you still have SES light and radio lighting up?
Yes I do at "D" and "B". Yes SES and radio still lighting up. Even with a momentary ran from battery>switch>stater it still won't crank. Im just gonna part it. I'm sick of messing with it

Engine locked up? And just confirmed on my 1993 it's a mechanical block out to prevent crank in gear.

Last edited:
Engine locked up? And just confirmed on my 1993 it's a mechanical block out to prevent crank in gear.
I had gotten the motor to crank the first night I got it but it wasn't right from the last person who owned it. I had to unhook the batteries to get it to quit cranking. I'm just tired of messing with it and nothing coming out of it. Ill just put this motor in my red one ton in place of the 350

I realize you youngsters are impatient but your closing in on the problem. Don't give up with the finish line in sight.
I get you and I will admit I am very impatient but I just don't know what it is at this point. All my wiring is good, no blown fuses and I have a good starter. I can't see the battery cables being the problem at this point but if its a strong possibility at this point then I can get some terminal ends to change it with.

With the direct connection to the starter on a momentary switch it should spin. Does it click? If so check the big battery cables. 9v at the former purple wire and 11v min at bat terminal on starter.

So we have 2 different diagrams of the ign switch, which one matches your truck? Was the ignition switch you swapped in a new one? did you check the wire connection?

So we have 2 different diagrams of the ign switch, which one matches your truck? Was the ignition switch you swapped in a new one? did you check the wire connection?
New ignition switch is actually a used one lol. Unknown condition has been on a steering column that layed in the rain for a couple years. Basically my problem is there is no voltage on the purple wire out of the ignition switch

No click or nothing. Exact same thing as before

So the jury-rigged wireing that spun the starter when the batts were hooked up may have melted the starter down.

So 2 problems remain. Wireing and starter.

We're back to wiring and, once again, I'm imploring @Landon730 to get himself a set of factory wiring diagrams for his model year to follow along with. Once we finally verify that there is proper voltage into and out of the ignition switch THEN we check for voltage at the input terminal of the Park/Neutral switch when the key is in the Start position.

Back