• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

No crank with whining noise

Landon730

Reaction score
I have a 94 6.5 and whenever I try to fern it to crank it just makes a whining noise from the gauge cluster and the speedometer moves up to like 30 mph. Glow plugs click on and off like normal and nothing else seems out of the ordinary. Truck has been sitting so anything is a possibility

Bad electricial connection- Most likey grounding.

Also try turning on key with fingers instead of house plants- haha
Ok I’ll try the grounds tonight and yeah I’m not a great typer lol everything lights up like normal but the starter does NOTHING no noise or anything from starter. I’ll try the grounds when I get home from school tonight

I would use a Multimeter to test ground & power at starter.

Then an induction amp gauge over the battery cable to starter.

If that seems normal- pull the starter.
Either starter is burnt up because the motor turned really slow when I jumped across cylinoid or batteries are low. Cylinoid is definitely fried though because it kept cranking until batteries were unhooked

that sounds like low voltage bad grounds etc,

Looks like it too as all the dash lights dim. Needs to check all 4 battery connections. What are you using for batteries? One battery ain't gonna cut it. FWIW you can't jump the 10HP starter like a gas engine: both bats have to be good. The jumper cables just can't move enough current.

Looks like it too as all the dash lights dim. Needs to check all 4 battery connections. What are you using for batteries? One battery ain't gonna cut it. FWIW you can't jump the 10HP starter like a gas engine: both bats have to be good. The jumper cables just can't move enough current.
Have a value power and some other battery that was in the truck when I bought it. Ran the one that was in the truck in my 83 for a few days and noticed my 83 cranking much better. Been running one Odyssey 31 series 800 CCA and had that battery tested today and found out its at 554 CCA. Regardless I have plenty of battery they are just low. Still need to change starter though because its fried.

Rebuild your starter or get a powermaster. Lots of junk out there that go thunk and won't spin 1 of 4 times. Low bats can burn a motor out. More important won't get enough RPM to ever fire off thr diesel.

What does the fuel filter look like? How long was it sitting?

Rebuild your starter or get a powermaster. Lots of junk out there that go thunk and won't spin 1 of 4 times. Low bats can burn a motor out. More important won't get enough RPM to ever fire off thr diesel.

What does the fuel filter look like? How long was it sitting?
Been sitting 10 years supposedly but fuel filter looks replaced recently or even before it was parked especially with the box in the back seat. I have double checked that it was changed. I don't remember what they are called but I have a old starter off a 6.2 (one of the big ol ones) That is gonna go on it tomorrow to see if it is the starter

Back