• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to site 425 Hp from a 6.5

Wouldn't it be funny if he posted up a dyno video of 425 horsepower. He'd be like, BLAM, take that!

Or not.:smilewinkgrin:

A 6.5 is capable of producing 425 HP but, How long did you say you wanted to do it??

A fresh P400 Block with the forged crank and some other goodies along with a serious DB4 injection pump and some Huge arsed squirters to get some serious fuel into it.

A very large turbo to huff some serious air. Oh yeah. No doubt that the 6.5 can do the deed alright.

My bet would be in a boat with loads of cold water to cool that beast as well as take care of the charge cooler too.

300 in a truck has been done with long term reliability so 425 is certainly not out of reach.

The biggy is for HOW LONG.

Getting rid of all the heat in a truck chassis with the limited space for a radiator is the problem.

A DS series fueled 6.5 with the nastiest chip available and a good exhaust system, a turbo master along with a better turbo can probably get close to the 300 mark and live fairly well as long as the operator keeps an eye on the heat.

I am very nervous about the 6.5 when its using older cranks, blocks and heads and being asked to push heavy power.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Missy

A 6.5 is capable of producing 425 HP but, How long did you say you wanted to do it??

A fresh P400 Block with the forged crank and some other goodies along with a serious DB4 injection pump and some Huge arsed squirters to get some serious fuel into it.

A very large turbo to huff some serious air. Oh yeah. No doubt that the 6.5 can do the deed alright.

My bet would be in a boat with loads of cold water to cool that beast as well as take care of the charge cooler too.

300 in a truck has been done with long term reliability so 425 is certainly not out of reach.

The biggy is for HOW LONG.

Getting rid of all the heat in a truck chassis with the limited space for a radiator is the problem.

A DS series fueled 6.5 with the nastiest chip available and a good exhaust system, a turbo master along with a better turbo can probably get close to the 300 mark and live fairly well as long as the operator keeps an eye on the heat.

I am very nervous about the 6.5 when its using older cranks, blocks and heads and being asked to push heavy power.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Missy

I agree. Peninsular has built some stuff like that, but like MGW said, in a marine app where heat transfer is much better.

Last edited:
I was thinking about missy's cooling dilemma for an off water 6.5 creating big HP. Here is my thought. Most trucks are pickups. Why not rig up a 10 gal cooling tank in the bed? :D We can run nitrous for cooling the coolant. Obviously once the nitrous runs out you're done. Just a dream world thought at cooling.

Cooling

Never in a million years will a 6.5 make 425HP. :smilewinkgrin:

On the cooling subject, compare the new generation of diesel light trucks (D-max, stroke, cummins) with the GM '88-'98 FRONTAL AREA. Night and day.

It's ridiculous the amount of 'cores' up front on the new stuff. Re-feakin'-diculous. But that's what engineers had to do to get the power up there RELIABLY. One could almost say idiot proof.

For the '88-'98 GM trucks, is there an aluminum cored radiator in any of them from the factory? My '93 has the big copper/brass job. I'm considering an upgrade when the time comes.

And copper/brass is more efficient that aluminum I'm pretty sure, its just more expensive so no one makes them anymore. 93 was the last year of copper/brass BTW.

Never in a million years will a 6.5 make 425HP. :smilewinkgrin:

On the cooling subject, compare the new generation of diesel light trucks (D-max, stroke, cummins) with the GM '88-'98 FRONTAL AREA. Night and day.

It's ridiculous the amount of 'cores' up front on the new stuff. Re-feakin'-diculous. But that's what engineers had to do to get the power up there RELIABLY. One could almost say idiot proof.

For the '88-'98 GM trucks, is there an aluminum cored radiator in any of them from the factory? My '93 has the big copper/brass job. I'm considering an upgrade when the time comes.

PEN offers a 400+HP 6.5 if you got the dough to buy it. And the older body style has plenty of frontal area for cooling. The DMAX radiator is actually a tad bit smaller than that of a 6.5, and then theres the intercooler that flows pretty easily as well. I know my DMAX is staying plenty cool, I've yet to see the tranny get over 200 or the engine over 205 even with me running the PISS out of it.

A 6.5 can make 425 HP
As I said, its just cooling it thats the issue.

Aside from praying that the bottom end does not let go.

The 6.5 was designed from the gitgo to operate in the 200HP range and do so for a long time.

Now along comes all of us Diesel freeks with dreams of a Bazzzzzzillion Horses and enough torque to turn the earth backwards.

Go figure.

Missy

Copper/brass conducts heat faster BUTTTTTTTTT

A large two (2) row aluminum core will equal the cooling capacity of a HD 4 row Copper unit.
This allows for less air restriction due to a larger number of tubes (4 row 0r??)

Of course the reason for the switch to the composite (Plastic/aluminum) radiators was a weight saving and cost saving manuever.

I gave thought to having a custom all aluminum radiator built for DaHooooley but the cost was about $500 Plus as compared to a factory(Or better) replacement for $265 from the local radiator shop.

Did not make good $$$$ sense for me with what I use the truck for, to spend the extra $$$$ on a custom radiator

Stock unit will work fine.

Missy

Last edited:
Missy have you considered using a Radiator from on the 6.4 powerstrokes? there quite massive to say the least and I would imagine that given enough fabricating and welding you could develop something to put it all together for some serious cooling power.

And this kid definatly had to have been from some ricer forum just here to stir trouble. Anybody rememeber Dentpusha's thread back on the place where he was screwing with that toyota forum for a while? :haha: good times

Back when I was considering the different options to build my 6.5, I spoke w/ Matt at Peninsular about what he thought the key factors were to making a 6.5 capable of 300hp live in a truck.

Granted, the marine engines operate in a different environment, higher constant rpm/load levels & have almost infinite engine cooling abilities, but I wanted their opinion because I can't imagine who would have more longterm experience with a lot of 250, 310 hp etc., 6.5's out there running. And they've got to stand behind them.

He thought some key things were cooling, lowering the compression to 18:1, correct piston to bore tolerances on the back 2 cylinders, and the newer Mahle pistons with the anti-scuff coating on the skirts were a good improvement.

One specific comment from that conversation stuck with me: he didn't know of a single headgasket failure in their engines in something like 12 years. Now we can debate whether that reliability is from better cooling, or lower compression (prolly both), but that's the kind of reliability I wanted to build. Failures are really deflating & take a lot of fun out of the hobby.

What boost levels do the Peninsular engines run? What turbo?

It's been almost 2 years ago & I can't recall if I even asked. He sold a non-wastegated Switzer that some used on 6.5TD pickups. Switzer is now part of Garrett.

They're mounted in the V & run the water jacketed exhaust manifolds & turbine housings common in marine apps. Would be interesting to know how heat loss in water jacketed turbine housings impacts efficiency.

They're non-wastegated & if the torque/hp curves on their website are representative, the fueling curve & turbo's are targeted to be most efficient well up in the rpm range - which makes sense for the boat application. Would expect the turbine housings have an A/R somewhat above 1.0. Don't know if the typical marine app has a somewhat restrictive exhaust system thru the prop, like common pleasure boats, or something less restrictive like the offshore powerboats that can switch to low restriction exhaust straight out the transom?

They run water to air aftercoolers on the highest hp versions. Having that huge source of lake/ocean temp water that allows avoiding the heat soak limitation (as in auto WTA apps) gets back a good bit of charge density by lowering charge temps as well as lessening the overall heat load on the engine a little.

I thought ex only ran through the outdrive on outboards. I've only seen ex straight out the back under the water line a little. Racing boats above the water cause they sound cool....:D

most outdrives run ex through them. ive got a merc bravo one and a 350 chev. watercooled exh manifolds and exhaust thru the drive right @ the prop. i believe its called a 'wet exhaust'

Back