• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Holland L35 skid steer loader revival

I have been following this thread for a while. You sure do some nice work. Any updates on the skidsteer so far this winter?
Thank you! I am currently doing body work on my Tahoe. Once I get all of the metal patched on that I'm going to be switching back to this skid steer project because I REALLY need to do some outdoor projects with it....projects I was supposed to do last year but got distracted by the Tahoe.... Hopefully progress will begin again in a month or so.

BTW, welcome to The Truck Stop!

Well only a year later, but I am finally getting back to this one. Today I removed the parking brake assembly so I can begin the repair/rebuild/replace process. Some parts I can make myself, but I’m still not 100% sure how the actual handle is supposed to work when it isn’t a rusted solid chunk of metal. Time to study the manuals.

4046DABC-6F3D-4982-85C8-C043BF77F275.jpeg0FC041B1-0BBD-4133-93E2-B3954C2C471B.jpeg90879A14-2F1B-4575-9414-8507162A9CA1.jpeg5F84319E-6FE5-481E-BD03-29E90E62862D.jpeg6E1174BD-C54C-45C9-91E8-34F18D5DB4F3.jpeg431C517B-0B69-47E4-9515-C8C9F9D660A7.jpeg

Ah, it’s just a simple over-center mechanism with tension adjustment. I should be able to come up with something that functions the same without too much effort.

990B5EFA-E474-4288-9353-506B17451B84.jpeg1CC35973-4FE5-4F1A-9FC1-FB36924263CF.jpeg

Same design as hummer/ hmmwv. Maybe check the nos hmmwv parts guys.
You pull it to engage push to disengage and there is an adjustment knob on top for how hard they lock up the brakes.
A lot of equipment uses it. Works great.

Same design as hummer/ hmmwv. Maybe check the nos hmmwv parts guys.
You pull it to engage push to disengage and there is an adjustment knob on top for how hard they lock up the brakes.
A lot of equipment uses it. Works great.
On another site there were some cross referenced part numbers for the lever in the pic. To my surprise there were a few Chrysler numbers listed. I’m going to look up the applications and see if it’s anything common. I’m not sure of top many places to but used equipment parts around me.

Mounting is different, sorry. Adaptable if others not available?

Mounting is different, sorry. Adaptable if others not available?

Probably adaptable, but not really a cost savings. Thanks for the links though!

Sunday I pulled the skid steer back into the barn since the Envoy is no longer a permanent resident in there. While pulling it in one of the rear tires popped off the bead.

835A5104-8A5A-419C-80BD-C2464E4D0A2B.jpeg

There was dirt in the bead from rolling it around on the flat so last night I removed it and dismounted it. Inside I found one of the strangest things I’ve ever seen in a tire - oil!

D27FD6FD-03FD-4C3B-9FBD-975375300789.jpegC02FEF97-7F1A-4013-96CA-67356D6B8C7F.jpeg

Anyone ever seen this before? Was it deliberate for some reason like preventing wheel corrosion or aiding tire installation? Was it an accident from an air hose on a compressor with a huge oil consumption problem? It’s so weird. So my next step is degreasing then prep the beads of the rim before tire installation.

Once the wheel is reinstalled I’ll be finishing up the wiring of the skid steer on the engine end. I still haven’t resolved the parking brake either - I need to determine what I’m doing there, but just buying the pre-made option is getting more and more appealing.

My original plan was to clean it up then wire wheel the beads and use the black rubber goop to help the bead seal. I’m just wondering now if there are some small leaks in the tire carcass that prompted them to do the oil thing. I’m not so concerned about the inside of the wheel rusting a little for how I’ll be using it, but yeah, I could shoot it with some paint. Maybe I’ll just put some tire slime in it just for good measure after I get it put together.

Today I buttoned up what I could for the wiring. I found that I have the wrong ignition coil so I ordered the right one, so all I have left for wiring is the coil and distributor....oh and battery cables.

After that I moved on to the parking brake. I decided that for what the parts were, I might as well just wire wheel the existing parts rather than make new (with the exception of the actual handle which I already bought a replacement for). Then they got a coat of Cat yellow.

AE06D2CE-E498-4BE4-845E-33FAA37EE5F6.jpeg

I started digging out the carbs and found that I need to do some more research to get the right rebuild kit. Most of the carbs that pop up for a VG4D search are a different design than the 2 that I have here, so I need to figure out if what I have will work and if so get the right kit ordered to rebuild one of them.

A couple small things today with some extra time I had. I installed the new coil.

E7B53A41-DA8E-423C-B1CF-B94F7602BA65.jpeg

Also got the new points, condenser and rotor installed.

825077FD-B6BC-457E-A4F1-4005C1B0D2B7.jpeg12F4DB0D-0A38-495C-8D29-2F5E7C4477E8.jpeg

I still need to set the base timing on the engine so it’s ready to start. I got the carb rebuild kit and stuff to make carb and choke linkages. Hopefully I can get to all that tomorrow.

Back