• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

new here, with a 6.5L Camaro

how hard would it be to take our IDI and redesign the injector/IP to run the common rail fuel pressures.
The question is why would GM want to do it? With all the money and effort to bring the Duramax to where it is, with all the money and effort to not yet produce the 4.5, I can't see anyone spending a dime to bring the 6.5 forward to a new generation.

To me, the most important diesel will be the little 4 cylinder that meets U.S. emissions and can power a variety of small/mid size cars, like they already do in Europe.

I think the point is that it doesnt take a huge team and a billion dollars to do some creative engineering.

Maybe GM can bring the 4.5 DMAX back on the table to put it in a sports car. because right now its been axed in trucks.

What about someone like edelbrock making after market direct injected heads that decrease CR to 18:1 leaving the bottom of the motor alone? I guess then the IP issue would need to be addressed as well. Heads would probably cost so much it wouldn't be worthwhile though.

Dave

welcome to the site.....would have been nice if you had a 6.6 Duramax donor sitting in there....

Hey now don't come into IDI Old School Park with none of that, :D :nono: besides he wanted a power plant that works, not one that needed to be worked on :D

A Dmax trans plant would be cool as well though I must cofess, probably a much harder swap to make it happen though.

Great project and nice work. It will be a conversation piece to say the least. Leo
Every now and then I'll get queried about a 1500 taking diesel and having people run out to stop me from putting diesel in the Jetta is great. I tell them I heard that you get better mileage with diesel and wanted to give it a try):h (and after the frau tried to drive it after filling it with gas, that is a true statement:mad2:). Ah, learning curves....

Cody though, He's going to have way more fun at the pumps.:thumbsup: Thanks for sharing and helping us all come up with new ideas to stimulate the economy. And please, keep posting with updates etc.

Paul

I can't believe the 6.5 is only a little heavier than the LT1. Without knowing either figure, I would have guessed there was a huge difference in weight between them. I thought my 6.5 weighed about 2 and half tons. And 350s, they are like 300 lbs.

Seriously though, that was a big surprise.

I just finished reading through this thread. I've heard of hijacking threads but a forum??
That is a very nice project. I may take a side trip on my summer vacation road trip this summer. Ohio wouldn't be too far out of the way....
By the by, wasn't that a 50 mph sign you blew past in the "wake the dead" video?:nono::thumbsup:

I just finished reading through this thread. I've heard of hijacking threads but a forum??
That is a very nice project. I may take a side trip on my summer vacation road trip this summer. Ohio wouldn't be too far out of the way....
By the by, wasn't that a 50 mph sign you blew past in the "wake the dead" video?:nono::thumbsup:

If he refuses to post any more videos of photos of project because of members ridicule you'll be to blame.
lol.......just kidding.........................sorta ):h:thumbsup:

96 -

I missed something! Where was a Squires Turbo mentioned?

If he is using a Squires Turbo setup, he needs to watch that oil return pump very carefully! They tend to go out...

Thanks,

It wasn't. But, it is a rear mounted turbo, just like a Squires, so the my question would still apply, no?

I think the point is that it doesnt take a huge team and a billion dollars to do some creative engineering.

Maybe GM can bring the 4.5 DMAX back on the table to put it in a sports car. because right now its been axed in trucks.

your first sentence Tom is right on!! :smile5:

I agree, a 2010 Camaro 4.5L Diesel would be sick!

If anyone is really interested in a fully hand built 4th Gen Diesel Camaro our team here at LMS is ready to suit you. The only thing holding me back from building more is investment$$$$.

The owner would receive a one of a kind car. Full build sheet, build pictures, and of course a warranty. Every detail documented.

The car would be set up similarly to the prototype you see here. However, there are options for the buyer.

A donor drivetrain and donor 4th Gen Camaro/Firebird will be hand selected to use for the project. Or if price isn't a concern to the buyer. A brand new GM crate 6.5L Diesel can be used, along with a new 4L80E transmission. Again, many options.

I as the owner of LMS, am very proud of my accomplishment. Now, since gaining the skills throughout the years as a car builder, am confident LMS can provide a very dependable Diesel powered F-body.

We have not decided on a final cost yet, but it will be below the cost of a new 2010 Camaro. when all said and done.

Time frame for completing one has been estimated at 6-8 months with the workforce we have now.

Why? It is my dream to provide a different option in the American Muscle scene. This is how I decided to go about that.

There are many innovations already implanted into the current prototype Diesel Camaro. I have many Documents with new ideas as well.

I am a young, honest businessman who is looking to fulfill a dream, while wholeheartedly satisfying my customers.

If you have any questions, email me at [email protected]

Cody Loeser

Its people like you and many of the folks here who need to be in those high automotive positions. So many people to this day are still stuck on the thought that when you hear the word diesel you think "loud, smelly, ozone layer burning engine". With the truth being in the completly opposite direction. Hell, you put a diesel in one of those honda civics and mileage will go up even more.

The EPA taxes diesels to much, and the automotive industry ignores the potential that they really have. Somebody really needs to take a stand and start doing projects like this.

I'm all for keeping the planet clean, but how much extra fuel are you burning in order to make enough power to get through the DPF's, Nox filters, mufflers and so on? Perfect example - 6.7L Cummins Diesel: 10-12 mpg all stock. DPF delete kit - 19-20mpg. I rest my case

But aside from that the car turned out great and that seriously has to be the coolest thing ever. You should start a revolution

I completely agree BBC. They focus on how much more diesels pollute, but I wonder if they compensate for fuel consumption. If you run identical cars with similar powered gas and diesel, and the gas engine gets 20 mpg and the diesel 27 mpg, isn't the reduced consumption making up for the increased particulate emitted?

Cody, congrats on a geat project, and best of luck with your business. I'm wondering if you'll be able to stick with the Camaro platform only, or will have to add maybe a larger 4 door or a small SUV platform to your offering as you go forward. Either way, the best thing you can do for sales is get on the road with the Camaro. Go to car shows, county fairs, tractor pulls, etc. they will be great places to show it off. All you need is a couple of buyers and I think you'll find them with the car out there for the public to see.

Fantastic job, Cody!

I am duly impressed. It seems that gone are the days when a guy with a bright idea and a well-equipped shop could turn out something really remarkable. I am so glad that we still have people like you Cody to show that it can still be done. Great great job.

Keep those videos coming! Just love it!

-Rob :)

Every now and then I'll get queried about a 1500 taking diesel and having people run out to stop me from putting diesel in the Jetta is great. I tell them I heard that you get better mileage with diesel and wanted to give it a try):h (and after the frau tried to drive it after filling it with gas, that is a true statement:mad2:). Ah, learning curves....

Cody though, He's going to have way more fun at the pumps.:thumbsup: Thanks for sharing and helping us all come up with new ideas to stimulate the economy. And please, keep posting with updates etc.

Paul

Paul - I get this ALL the time with the Tahoe - people coming up and saying - STOP STOP! That's the diesel pump!

I just love to show them it REALLY IS a diesel. They seem really incredulous when I pull up. I usually say "can't you hear it? - It IS a diesel"

"No, I didn't do a custom build."
"Yes, it came from the factory as a diesel..."

It will be hard to give the girl up if it ever comes to that. I just love my rig.

-Rob :)

Thanks for the comments everyone!
Its people like you and many of the folks here who need to be in those high automotive positions. So many people to this day are still stuck on the thought that when you hear the word diesel you think "loud, smelly, ozone layer burning engine". With the truth being in the completly opposite direction. Hell, you put a diesel in one of those honda civics and mileage will go up even more.

The EPA taxes diesels to much, and the automotive industry ignores the potential that they really have. Somebody really needs to take a stand and start doing projects like this.

I'm all for keeping the planet clean, but how much extra fuel are you burning in order to make enough power to get through the DPF's, Nox filters, mufflers and so on? Perfect example - 6.7L Cummins Diesel: 10-12 mpg all stock. DPF delete kit - 19-20mpg. I rest my case

But aside from that the car turned out great and that seriously has to be the coolest thing ever. You should start a revolution

Thanks Big Blue. I strongly agree with your points.

As much as i would like to start a revolution, I couldn't do it by myself. But I know one thing, I would surround myself with many DTR members if I did. Seems like most of the members here support my views on politics, and I in turn, support theirs equally.

I love coming here and reading the daily Politics and Religion threads. So full of fact, so strong in opinion.

Cody

I know I said it before... but this is the coolest car ever, a IDI Diesel Camaro. What do you think a boosted launch would be like in this beast? I'd think I was losing my mind if I heard a Camaro pull up beside my truck, and sound similar to it... only with a little less turbo whistle.:D

Man I love this thread, I'm in agreement with chevyinlinesix............I'd go ballistic if that thing pulled up alongside me...............course I'd have to smoke him :D

Back