• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

new here, with a 6.5L Camaro

That is quite possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen. It sounds awesome too...!

Smoke coming from the back end of a Camaro, aint so rare :)

I could/can lay smoke screen to rival any diesel exhaust smoke.

It will probably end up being quieter than most camaros with big hi flo mufflers

One question (for now): Why the intercooler? STS claims that because of the long piping, their systems don't need one.
Not trying to nit pick, just wondering if the extra piping is needed. I'm betting it was a tight fit to begin with, and if you could save a little work, well, then maybe you could eliminate the intercooler. Nice job by the way.

One question (for now): Why the intercooler? STS claims that because of the long piping, their systems don't need one.
Not trying to nit pick, just wondering if the extra piping is needed. I'm betting it was a tight fit to begin with, and if you could save a little work, well, then maybe you could eliminate the intercooler. Nice job by the way.

96 -

I missed something! Where was a Squires Turbo mentioned?

If he is using a Squires Turbo setup, he needs to watch that oil return pump very carefully! They tend to go out...

Thanks,

Man that is cool. What an ambitious project. I wouldn't have thought there was room in that bay for a 6.5.
What exactly was the primary purpose of this build? I got the green wvo part, but you could do that with anything. Is it really going to be fast at all? I mean it is a low-revving heavy engine after all. While it's cool as hell I don't expect it would lay down any scary times. It also seems like the extra tonnage up front would require a lot of suspension compensation before it would handle half as good as stock.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to knock it, I love the car. I'm just trying to get a better handle on it.

Is there room behind the turbo for a receiver hitch? I'd love to pull my 33 footer behind that, imagine hammering up the passing lane uphill past all the Super Duties with their boats and campers going up north or the weekend... how cool would that be?

wasn't expecting all the support of this project. Thanks :thumbsup:

I am really not sure why I built it. The only thing that comes to mind is GM.
The new Camaro is coming out, GM is hurting, among many other things I just wanted to build a car to show GM that you can build a very fuel efficient musle car, possibly even "bio" fueled. And to be honest I love the LSx GM motors, but I have grown up around Diesel machinery. Cat, Komatsu, even the little Bobcats, all diesels. i know just about every trick to the LS1, even forced induction. Just looking for somethin different.

As for the Q about the intercooler. Now that the car has a few miles on it. I realize the IAT is no more than ambient, Ever. ALmost too cold. Yes, the LONG charge pipe combined with the intercooler are the reason for that. My mistake was using Gasoline race tech info for a diesel. Still learning....

About the turbocharger. Yes, the turbo is mounted in the rear of the car, where the fuel tank used to be. Pretty high in the chassis. Again, hx35 from a Cummins. Setup similar to s.t.s. systems. Cruise boost 3-4 (light car), 1/2 throttle 8-12, WOT 2?psi.

The oil scavenge (turbo) has a warning indicator/redundancy. Mocal, rated for 200+F oil temps.

Trans has a shift kit, valve actuator repair, new fluid.

Rear is 2.73:1. 140 mph top speed capable.

No, the car is not insanely fast. it wasn't built to be quick. I built it to function as a daily driver car. Something that could be built by GM, if they so desired. I'd prob would buy one...

About a hitch. Yes, i have a hitch on the way for the car. I plan on just towing small things. Some tires to the roadtrack or raceway, maybe.

And about where I am. I am located in Vermilion, Oh. If ever int he area, stop by. Ohh and beer fills the fuel tank quite nicely! :smile5:

Cody

...dunno if GM could build one or not. The emissions laws for cars are significantly different from trucks. Methinks it'd take some serious engineering to get an engine like the 6.5 into a car and meet federal emissions guidelines. I'm surprised GM got them into half-ton trucks. Have you seen the silliness with the new diesels? It's just plain insane, injecting fuel into the exhaust so the cat will light up. Crazy and stupid!

That, and there probably isn't much market for them.

Is yours emission legal?

Cody, its a great project and thanks for sharing the info. I too was wondering about front suspension parts, how much more does the 6.5 weigh than the stock V6, 300 lbs?

Here's what I like about the concept. If you take a Camaro, or Mustang, or similar small muscle car and add a big gas V8, you burn a lot of fuel. Yes the car is light but the engine sucks fuel almost regardless of vehicle weight, you'd get maybe 18-22 mpg? I have to think if this 6.5 is set up well, and with your 2.73 rear, you'll get 28-30 mpg in daily driving. Am I right about this, have you had enough miles on it to check?

It might not be a race car but I'm betting it will be strong, and with the sound and torque will be pretty unique.

Hey question with this unless I missed it somewhere. Are you adding frame connectors to deal with the additional wieght/torque of the diesel. All might seem well and good for now but down the road if you push it you might find the doors not closing too good. Anyway just a thought. Nice job. I like it.

Definately need the subframe connectors, strut tower brace and a better cross member thing back behind the tranny than the stock stamped steel. That got rid of almost all my flexxing.

weight of the 6.5L is about 800 dressed. LT1 is about 720. + or - 20lbs.

The car is not any more nose heavy than a stock LT1. I removed all the A.C., A.i.R., ABS, Hvac, batteries in the rear, turbo in the rear, CF hood, no washer fluid reservoir. Among some other weight removal in the front. No special coil springs or nothin.

Within the next month i will have the car weighed, weight distribution as well.

About the MPG, I really can't say. I have a 12.5 gallon fuel cell, and my speedometer needs calibrated. I am confident in saying at least 25 mpg average for now. Definitive results will come later.

Anyone know what optimal static IP timing is?

About the chassis. The car already has a roll bar, some rear chassis bracing, new front core support to strengthen it. Due to the turbo charge pipe (along rocker), I can't use subframe connectors. As soon as I have the funds i will be going to a complete 10 pt. roll cage from my existing 4 pt.

Suspension has been upgraded. All adjustable. UMI Lower control arms, UMI panhard, UMI torque arm. Qa1 heim joints all around. Very rigid.

axle also has a factory locker.

Attachments

• DSCF0005 smaller.jpg
    DSCF0005 smaller.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 85
Wow, that car is set up!

That would be great to get that to spool up, hit a tight track and make some headlines showing up gassers at a road track.

Cool stuff man, I am jealous. ):h

Welcome Cody, Project looks great!!! Should be able to run one 900-1000 amp battery instead of two for more space. Love to see that 6.5 turbo camaro slinging corners.

Great project and nice work. It will be a conversation piece to say the least. Leo

Last edited:
...dunno if GM could build one or not. The emissions laws for cars are significantly different from trucks. Methinks it'd take some serious engineering to get an engine like the 6.5 into a car and meet federal emissions guidelines. I'm surprised GM got them into half-ton trucks. Have you seen the silliness with the new diesels? It's just plain insane, injecting fuel into the exhaust so the cat will light up. Crazy and stupid!

That, and there probably isn't much market for them.

Is yours emission legal?

redesign and install the Cat/DPF on the car, or run veggie (better emissions?. The DPF has proven reliable when used on a stock truck, but like you said it is dangerous. Just keep em clean and you wont have issues. i personally don't live in an Emmisions area, but i would like to make her run clean. I think it would take a DS4 with a lot of tuning to meet that. The Db2 wouldn't be so clean. maybe not though....?

My argument. The 6.5/6.2L diesels are 2 valves per cylinder, same with the LS1s, LS2, LS3, etc. They make crazy power with 2 valves. Yes, the precup and IDI maybe the limiting factors but shit, how hard would it be to take our IDI and redesign the injector/IP to run the common rail fuel pressures. More power? cleaner burn. Yeah the Duramaxes are great, the 4.5L won't happen, but the military still and WILL use the 6.2L/6.5L for a long time. Cost effective and reliable. 6.5 FTW.

Back