• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Heath turbo

The welding on the downpipe to turbine housing would seem to indicate just that. If nothing else, Bill's stuff that is sold as "regular stock" always has a nice, clean, finished look to it.

Mine was a unit used during their tests. Should have mentioned that.

Looks like a Chinese KO compressor housing?

Either way, guess he figured he'd get in on the game, and why not? There is a market. Some will prefer the ATT, some the Holsets like me, others his turbo. Pick your poison, none are really wrong.

Definately a knock off, at least the body and the compressor housing are. I have dealt enough with the chines factories to be realatively certian. Does anyone know where the cams are reground? I got an idea for one? and need someone to work with on the regrind. Cant get new blanks anywere.

Definately a knock off, at least the body and the compressor housing are. I have dealt enough with the chines factories to be realatively certian. Does anyone know where the cams are reground? I got an idea for one? and need someone to work with on the regrind. Cant get new blanks anywere.

I have some cam ideas. A guy that knows alot more about cams helped me out. I have a spare engine and would buy a couple cheap 6.2s for the cams.

Source Unknown

I have a local cam grinder that does a ton of grinding for diesels etc, he's been in a few magazines, Colt Cams.

When I talked to them,maybe a year ago they had blanks for a 6.2 or 6.5 . I chose to do a Predator regrind instead. Problem I had was to much overlap,which created egr,and uncontrolable ignition timing. I want to try it again sometime,and play with the cam timing.

I wonder if Bill's wastegated version will look anything like this:

IMG_2754_zps241c09d5.jpg

Should be interesting to see what eventually comes out of Ellensberg.....

:)

I wonder if Bill's wastegated version will look anything like this:

IMG_2754_zps241c09d5.jpg

Should be interesting to see what eventually comes out of Ellensberg.....

:)

Looks about like a HX-35 with a 12 CM housing and a vacuum wastegate control(but I see the garrett embossed in the exhaust housing). I said early on I don't know why nobody had tried it yet with even the CKO turbos. Seems like a no brainer to utilize the factory control system to be able to dump boost at cruise and reduce drive pressure when it isn't needed, but be able to ramp it back in at will.

Looks about like a HX-35 with a 12 CM housing and a vacuum wastegate control. If so I said early on I don't know why nobody had tried it yet with even the CKO turbos. Seems like a no brainer to utilize the factory control system to be able to dump boost at cruise and reduce drive pressure when it isn't needed, but be able to ramp it back in at will.

That's a Garrett GT37 series....boost referenced wastegate. Boost referenced wastegates won't play well with the OEM vac system.

There's a spring that holds the gate shut and when boost overcomes spring pressure the gate is allowed to open. Pretty much opposite of the OEM vac system.

That's not to say someone hasn't already tried your idea though.

Looks awesome but honestly, if going to that hassle with the Garrett turbo, get rid of the crappy vacuum operated wastegate can and go external, he's almost there.

Looks awesome but honestly, if going to that hassle with the Garrett turbo, get rid of the crappy vacuum operated wastegate can and go external, he's almost there.

Garretts are boost referenced, not a vacuum pot....just as a completely external gate would be.

A spring holds it shut, boost overpowers the spring at the set level and opens the gate. Holset uses the same scheme.

The problem with an integrated wastegate is primarily the exhaust rejoin.

Some get it right, others don't.

The BW EFR series looks like they got it pretty much right with the wastegate, but they've done quite a few "experimental" type things in that series turbo. That's why I've been eyeballing one for a while. I'm just not ready to pony up the kind of dough they want. Got a few contacts inside that say it will work great and they'll size one for me, I just don't have the money that they want for one.

Maybe some day......like when I win the lotto.....:rolleyes:

External gates aren't the last word either. Very few manufacturers size a "non wastegated" turbine section to effectively deal with an external wastegate.

A non wastegated turbo is typically sized to pass all of what the compressor makes through the turbine. A wastegated turbo takes into account the hole the wastegate create and sizes the turbine for that.

It's a very tricky balancing act and there's a lot more involved to it than just popping an external wastgate in the piping pre-turbine on a non wastegated model.....

Garretts are boost referenced, not a vacuum pot....just as a completely external gate would be.

A spring holds it shut, boost overpowers the spring at the set level and opens the gate. Holset uses the same scheme.

The problem with an integrated wastegate is primarily the exhaust rejoin.

Some get it right, others don't.

The BW EFR series looks like they got it pretty much right with the wastegate, but they've done quite a few "experimental" type things in that series turbo. That's why I've been eyeballing one for a while. I'm just not ready to pony up the kind of dough they want. Got a few contacts inside that say it will work great and they'll size one for me, I just don't have the money that they want for one.

Maybe some day......like when I win the lotto.....:rolleyes:

External gates aren't the last word either. Very few manufacturers size a "non wastegated" turbine section to effectively deal with an external wastegate.

A non wastegated turbo is typically sized to pass all of what the compressor makes through the turbine. A wastegated turbo takes into account the hole the wastegate create and sizes the turbine for that.

It's a very tricky balancing act and there's a lot more involved to it than just popping an external wastgate in the piping pre-turbine on a non wastegated model.....

I know how it works, just didn't word it correctly, lol.

Yep, the wastegate area and rejoin are area's of restriction. On our Turbo Mopars, we pick up some good gains going to an external gate.

Got the tune sorted out for my truck which is running the 'Heath Super 84.' NICE great pulling power all the way up to the end of common sense. Drove to Pomona and did some side trips on dirt and gravel roads at speeds between 15-60mph for 300 miles and managed 16.9 for a couple of tanks (Transcontinental RR original route and Pony Express for a bit). Not bad for the resistance and speeds plus all the stopping for notes and pictures. On the highway I averaged 65-70 for 300 miles at 19.4 mpg and from north of Vegas to Pomona with the climbs and speeds trying to keep from getting run over (68-75) I was 18.4 mpg. There's no issues climbing hills if momentum gets broken cause you don't have a hole to get into to get around a slower truck. Just feed it a little fuel and it jumps up and goes.
Not a lot of smoke and I'm smoke averse, so that's got me smiling. Colby and Big-T took it for a spin each so I'll let them chime in if desired to give their impressions.
Just figured I should chime in now that I have tunes, rolling resistance and such sorted out. I like it and it seems to be a happy truck now.

Yes, I got to drive Paul's little speedster. Impressive. Definitely quicker off the line than my Burb with ATT and it clearly pulls throughout the rpm curve. Paul said I got it up to 22 lbs boost; I was staring at the tach. I'd say that much of the performance off the line and in the lower rpm was due to the combination of smaller turbo and tune. My Burb is a much heavier vehicle and you can definitely feel that.

Had fun. I like doing projects on these trucks and Colby's needed it. It was a welcome break from weekends doing remodeling projects on the home in Big Bear. Paul is great people. Unbelievable that he'd volunteer to do this type of work with us. I plain forgot how lousy of a job replacing that oil cooler and lines was.

Bill sent me a Turbo a Year or so ago to see if I could come up with a Downpipe for it, I Didn't have time and sent it back, Im still building and selling the HX downpipe kits and have sold over 100 so far, The HX-35 CKO and HX-35 Hybrids work very well on the 6.5s and are a Great way to go, as far as them not being a good fit on a 6.5? I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion

IIRC, a question was asked on how the S-84 lined up with the OEM intake, if anything had to be cut off etc.

For my OEM upper, the answer is no, nothing needed to be cut. There is a 2" to 2.5" silicon connector to make the juncture.

Pictures to save typing.
IMG_1749.jpg IMG_1750.jpg IMG_1751.jpg IMG_1752.jpg

Same with the Peninsular set up. No additional work.
IMG_1660.jpg IMG_1661.jpg IMG_1662.jpg

Back