• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Water to Air intercooler install

I have an idea. If I cut the heat exchanger framework from the bumper and rotate it down so it's perpendicular to the road, that would give more clearance around the oil cooler and just may buy me enough clearance at the tow hook. I'll do some measuring tomorrow and see.

That or (shudder) cut it all apart and redo it with the radiator hanging an inch or two lower than it is now.

That or (shudder) cut it all apart and redo it with the radiator hanging an inch or two lower than it is now.
Yeah, there's that option too....I don't want to decrease ground/curb/snowbank clearance too much though. I'll do some measuring and see what works out. Shudder indeed!

Remove the hooks, turn them upside down and switch sides. They will still be to the outside for the frame but will ramp upwards instead of downwards. That will allow the fitting to clear.
I will check that out, thanks!

Remove the hooks, turn them upside down and switch sides. They will still be to the outside for the frame but will ramp upwards instead of downwards. That will allow the fitting to clear.
And add a 1" solid spacer. Do both sides to look even.

Edit...
I went back and looked at the pic again. I don't think that will work, Will. The bend in the hook looks like it will interfere. Maybe just a 2" solid spacer?

What's your ground clearance as it is now? Does it still clear a concrete parking bumper?
I didn't think to measure that since I was in a hurry to get things torn apart so I could get my oil leak fixed. I should be able to extrapolate a ground clearance measurement by measuring the old bumper that is back on the truck now and how much the mouth hangs below the new bumper and subtract that from current ground clearance. I'm guessing that it's about 1" less ground clearance than the plastic deflector was before - this is because it was supposed to be even with the plastic deflector initially with just the flat bottom, but once I added the trim on the bottom that will be hanging down about another inch.

Looks good. Just ideas....

Can you plug that bung and add a different one on the back side of tank or just lower. I assume its just an end tank of sorts. You would want to hide away the hose anyway.

Or take off the factory hooks off and add some aftermarket ones. Or Maybe? take a piece of thick plate and offset the hooks outward a bit. Maybe a short piece of 3/4" thick x 3 or 4 inches wide drill holes to bolt to frame then another 2 holes and bolt the factory hooks to the offsetting spacer.

One thing I thought of adding to my truck one day was take a piece of heavy flat bar and put under the hooks and weld on a receiver hitch for temporary mounting a front bed extender for something like a removable pipe rack.

Looks good. Just ideas....

Can you plug that bung and add a different one on the back side of tank or just lower. I assume its just an end tank of sorts. You would want to hide away the hose anyway.

Or take off the factory hooks off and add some aftermarket ones. Or Maybe? take a piece of thick plate and offset the hooks outward a bit. Maybe a short piece of 3/4" thick x 3 or 4 inches wide drill holes to bolt to frame then another 2 holes and bolt the factory hooks to the offsetting spacer.
Hmmm...that's not a terrible idea.......the only problem that I'm VERY inexperienced in welding aluminum, so I wouldn't want to experiment on this part, and I like doing everything myself. But it is something to consider for sure.

Ok. If I did the math right, moving the mouth to true vertical will make the fitting drop 1/2". And since going true vertical also buys me more clearance at the cooler lines, and since it puts the heat exchanger fins straight on to the incoming airflow, I decided to bite the bullet and start cutting. I have the framework cut free except for the welds at the front peak of the bumper - that will act as a hinge and I can just rotate it down to where I need it. And if that isn't enough then I'll probably cut it free and drop it the additional 1/4" or whatever it needs to clear the fitting. Sounds fun, right!!?? No. Anyway, I need the truck this weekend so I'm stopping for now. Monday night I'll pull it in the barn, take off the stock bumper and bolt this back in place so I can work on it in place get things perfectly lined up on the truck - like I should have in the first place. That's the downside of trying to do mods on your daily driver. Oh well, it's good to put miles on the backup rig so it stays functioning properly. More updates next week.IMG_7758.JPG IMG_7759.JPG

Do the extra work and make sure you a perfectly happy with the results. I built my hummer roof, and comprised on 4 design items, and now i wish i had the $ to cut it all off and start over.

Back