• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Water to Air intercooler install

I guess I'm late, I would do as Will said. Flip them side to side, grind a bit of the bevel off and if needed put a washer or 2 on the back bolt to raise the hook up. Your Tahoe uses the same hooks as a 1 Ton. A slight loss of metal won't hurt much.

I guess I'm late, I would do as Will said. Flip them side to side, grind a bit of the bevel off and if needed put a washer or 2 on the back bolt to raise the hook up. Your Tahoe uses the same hooks as a 1 Ton. A slight loss of metal won't hurt much.
It's all good. The reason it ended up tilted back in the first place is because the stock bumper on the truck is all messed up from a parking lot collision the previous owner had, so it wasn't a reliable baseline for me to use. So what I used as a baseline for the new bumper was the plane of the bumper nostril openings. What I didn't realize when doing this is that those openings aren't vertical, they are actually slanted forward at the top. So because of that, my "mouth" ended up slanted back at the bottom, which isn't what I intended. I think by making it vertical as intended I will gain the clearance I need and also make it look as intended. In that same vein of thought - I have started to think that I'm not loving how some of the surround parts turned out, so I think I'll be reworking the designs on those anyway. It's all an evolution and to Will's point - do it once and do it right and make sure you're happy with it, even if it means re-doing some of it. It's all a learning process.

What if you moved it back under the rad support and closer to horizontal . Put the spoiler back on but leave an opening that would be level all the way across and even with the spoiler . Maybe cut some holes or ovals in the spoiler for airflow .

Are you saying my bumper has a real purdy mouth......or........you want my bumper to squeal like a pig???:bucktooth:
Dueling banjo fittings! But seriously, that size of banjo fitting would flow plenty well and would sit flush with the end tank and give you a 90° turn in the space of the hose's diameter and can be rotated to provide any orientation of hose routing necessary.

What if you moved it back under the rad support and closer to horizontal . Put the spoiler back on but leave an opening that would be level all the way across and even with the spoiler . Maybe cut some holes or ovals in the spoiler for airflow .
I see what you're saying here. I'm afraid I'd lose a lot of airflow in that configuration though. Moving it up and back like that would put it pretty close to the plastic panel that seals the bottom of the engine compartment and I feel like that would choke airflow through the heat exchanger. Yes, probably still better than where it was before when it was under the truck, but not as much as if it's right out front in the open. Since I use the truck as my dd right now, I will be able to see how vulnerable it will be where I am putting it, and if it is vulnerable I will definitely report back with that info.

Dueling banjo fittings! But seriously, that size of banjo fitting would flow plenty well and would sit flush with the end tank and give you a 90° turn in the space of the hose's diameter and can be rotated to provide any orientation of hose routing necessary.
Yeah, that's a neat idea I will definitely keep in my back pocket. I didn't know they made banjo fittings that big to be honest. I'll have to do some searching and see what I can find.

Oh damn, the holes in your radiator are NPT? Perhaps a male NPT to female standard thread bushing, or drill it out and go tap it to the next size larger fitting thread?

I had a couple of free hours today so I used them to work on the bumper. I ended up with the heat exchanger in a good location both clearance-wise and visually so I'm very happy. You can see that I ended up with a decent gap in the middle that will have to be filled, but not a big deal. I have it welded in place pretty well so now I can do more work with the bumper off. I'll get the rest of the pieces tacked into place and then do another test fitting. Oh and I measured ground clearance this time and it is 11-1/2", so that should still be more than enough clearance for curbs and stuff. Here are some pics and videos so you can check out the latest and greatest.

IMG_7780.JPG IMG_7781.JPG IMG_7782.JPG IMG_7785.JPG IMG_7787.JPG IMG_7789.JPG IMG_7791.JPG IMG_7793.JPG IMG_7802.JPG IMG_7804.JPG

Looks great! Pardon my ignorance but what is the latch lookin' gismo on the hub cap?
That's just car designer tom-foolery. It's supposed to replicate the look of the Central Tire Inflation System on a REAL Hummer.

hh-dsc_0017.jpg

It's about back to where it was before. I got the top tacked back together and the sides back in place. This time I added a radius at the top of the sides to blend the transition in better, it should look more finished with that in place. I've started planning how the hook surrounds will look so I'll start fabbing that up next. It should be fairly straight forward if it works out like I'm thinking.
IMG_7816.JPG IMG_7817.JPG IMG_7818.JPG IMG_7819.JPG IMG_7820.JPG IMG_7821.JPG

Back