• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Water to Air intercooler install

Powder coating I believe. Electrostatic charging of the parts and sprayed with powder. Then baked on.

Ive been following this for ages and lurking in the background. Its just my type of over complicated project. Love it.

what exactly is e coating?

Powder coating I believe. Electrostatic charging of the parts and sprayed with powder. Then baked on.

E-coat is a base coat that we put on all of our products before powdercoat. It's the black coating that you see on replacement body panels. It's also on the frames of new trucks, etc.. The place that does ours in Elkhart, IN does all of the local RV manufacturers' motorhome and trailer frames. They also had a contract to do Hummer frames and components, but I'm not sure if they still do. It's an impressive facility. It's a 14-stage process with multiple dunk tanks with different chemicals and a final cure in an oven. If I recall, the main part of the coating that does the real corrosion prevention is an epoxy, though it also uses a zinc coating as well. The only problem with e-coat is that it isn't UV stable, so it needs to be top-coated. It makes a fantastic basecoat though.

Ive been following this for ages and lurking in the background. Its just my type of over complicated project. Love it.
Thanks Sand.....I think ;) There is an elegance in being able to execute a project simply, but a lot of times that just isn't practical given all of the limitations (the main usually being money...).

Looking good man. I know you are glad it's almost done so you can start the install.

It is really looking good but I want to see if it's more efficient now. Function before form I say
Right on. Unfortunately I haven't had an IAT sensor installed since I did the mechanical conversion, so I won't have a way to see if it's more efficient. I'm hoping to get an IAT installed at some point in the future - when I do I will be able to compare it to what they were like with the DS4 at least, just to see. But year, it would be nice to see the difference it makes, if any, to move it out front rather than being under the truck. One would think it would be a huge improvement, but without data, one never knows.

Back