• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Water to Air intercooler install

Looking good, Nate! Black and silver, how about polishing and buffing the hell out of it and shooting it with clearcoat?

Braces are made. I made the studs a little long on purpose so there will be enough thread for a washer and a nylock nut. Now it's time to remove the bumper and weld the pieces out. I think that is finally it for fab work. Time to finish things. IMG_8007.JPGIMG_8008.JPGIMG_8009.JPGIMG_8010.JPGIMG_8011.JPGIMG_8012.JPGIMG_8013.JPG

Well I thought I was done. Took pictures and everything. Then I noticed a little dimple in one of the deflector pieces where the welded stud is. So I looked closer and saw a couple more dimples. So I cranked on the nuts and sure enough I was able to get them to pull through. GRRRR. So I pulled them all out. I tried chamfering the holes and grinding the studs to a point. Nope, that's failing too. So now I'm unsure what I'll do....just do some nice stainless button head bolts? Not sure, but it's hard to think after working on it for 6 hours and now being frustrated. So I'll have to let it sink in overnight......IMG_8017.JPG

I work with metal for a living and you made that look easy. I wish I had the patience you have when I'm working on my stuff around the farm or on my truck. Good looking bumper for real.

I work with metal for a living and you made that look easy. I wish I had the patience you have when I'm working on my stuff around the farm or on my truck. Good looking bumper for real.
Thanks Jaryd! The hours and hours I've spent working on this thing sure haven't felt easy....

Ok I found a solution. If I had executed it properly it would have been a fantastic solution, but I struggled a little and had to do some rework.....but in the end it turned out ok.

First thing I did was drill out the holes to 15/16". And no....that didn't freak me out one bit :wideyed:.
IMG_8021.JPG
Then I installed carriage bolts in the bumper braces. After that I installed the deflector over the bolts.
IMG_8022.JPG
Next was welding. I was able to lay some nice beads since I had so much real estate to work with.
IMG_8023.JPG
Then I ground the welds and bolt heads down.

After that I reinstalled the deflector. This is when I found out that I had screwed up earlier. I got dimples again!!! But I couldn't pull the bolts through like before...which made sense. What I did wrong is I had only finger tightened the nuts before, not wrench tightened. So when I reinstalled the deflector and tightened the nuts with a wrench it drew the bolts in a smidge and voila....dimples!
IMG_8024.JPG IMG_8025.JPG
So I ground the deflector down to the height of the dimples and DAd it and now all is well. It can use a little more sanding, but I wanted to get it reinstalled to make sure it was ok before I took it to the nth degree.
IMG_8026.JPG IMG_8027.JPG
So now I just have to do the same thing to te other deflector, sans screw-up of course. :eggface:

As I had hoped, fully tightening the bolts before welding worked - no dimples! So I ground and sanded the deflectors and then gave everything a once-over. Now it's disassembled and off to the sandblaster tomorrow. IMG_8034.JPGIMG_8035.JPGIMG_8036.JPGIMG_8037.JPGIMG_8038.JPGIMG_8039.JPGIMG_8040.JPGIMG_8041.JPGIMG_8042.JPG

Got the parts back from te blaster today. Tomorrow they will be put in a basket at work to be sent out for e-coat. IMG_8103.JPG

Back