• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My trip, the lil 6.2 that could!

Husker how much all that cost? I do the Rand Mcnally trip thru Cairo, I like lil side trips!

961500 We have to settle for a pic of the trucks together.

WarWagon thanks I thought maybe the Imperial was not so good since its a lot cheaper.

Side note, the fuel mileage was bad, 12 mpg! :-( Hopefully it was because of a lot of hard pulling. If not then I will have to start blending diesel a lot earlier than planned. I dont want to wean her all the way off wvo, afraid the IP cant handle straight diesel.

All this talk about Fancy Gap got my curiosity up, so I googled it. The pics of the terrain sure looked like southern Oregon, the hills, the highways. The biggest difference I saw was in the trees. It looks like that area has a lot of deciduous forests and lots of fall color. Southern Oregon has a lot of coniferous trees, fir and pine, and a lot of scrub deciduous brush and trees, but not a lot of larger deciduous trees.

Some of the highway pics sure looked like they could have been taken in southern Oregon. Interstate-5 comes out of California, and heads north, crosses Siskiyou Summit at 4310' elevation, then Sexton Mt Pass at 1956' elevation, then Smith Hill Summit at 1725' elevation, then Canyon Creek Pass at 2015' elevation. There are several smaller hills, less than 1000' elevation. The two longest climbs are encountered if you are headed southbound on I-5 at Canyon Creek pass, seven miles uphill from a start of 747' elevation, and Siskiyou Pass starting at 1895' elevation at Ashland.

I don't know that I'll ever be able to visit the area, but it sure sounds interesting as I really like the southern Oregon area.

Don

Fancy gap, and on north up I-77 is very pretty in the fall and has great views of the valleys around it. When I was stationed in SE GA we would go right through there to visit family in OH. There are two tunnels, as you get close to WV, that go through the moutain. My girls always looked forward to that part of the trip.

Husker how much all that cost? I do the Rand Mcnally trip thru Cairo, I like lil side trips!

I'm not sure. I bought it new unused along with a bunch of other stuff (duraterm glow plugs, 130 gph upgrade kit, marine injectors) from a member off of the 6.5 turbodiesel forum SS Diesel Supply hosts about six years ago as a cheap ($600) package deal. I think new, the HD clutch with the Duramax fan mounted is like $199.99 through them. I'll have the fan blade off my '98 Burb available after the swap out.

Cairo isn't really a side trip, unless you want to turn off the highway and drive through the town, all 6 x 10 blocks of it. The street signs are a hoot, can be seen/read as you drive through on Hwy 2.

AC Jake Brake

I used to drive an S10 4.3 4x4 with AC, when that sucker kicked in, it slowed the truck down! I used it going down steep hills with lots of curves, so it was slow going, the AC would slow me down enough I'd save using the brakes! (I just read a ways back about using the AC as a Jake Brake, Its no joke, it can slow you down, sometimes just enough...):)

Fancy gap, and on north up I-77 is very pretty in the fall and has great views of the valleys around it. When I was stationed in SE GA we would go right through there to visit family in OH. There are two tunnels, as you get close to WV, that go through the moutain. My girls always looked forward to that part of the trip.

I did that drive north up I-77 back in December of '10 coming back up from Mooresville, NC with my new '98 Burb that I just bought and drove down from Nebraska to pick up and with my '95 Camry on a two wheel toter behind it for the drive back home. Smoking like crazy, temp up to 205, but pulled it at 55-60 mph steady. Beautiful with the snow in the mountains that afternoon.

Wow I am impressed 3500Gmc not only can read n write but he is really good at arithmatic n ciphers! You r so very right about money in the pocket going down! I think it will improve some in the flatlands.

Hey thanks for the jake brake comment 94turb

Husker we have almost no snow but that winter we got several icy blizzards.

0609121048a.jpg0609121551a.jpgSo today my dad, Gene n I built some wooden covers for the campers gas stove and sink so I could have some counter space in the camper. He was a mechanical engineer and his hobby is cabinet making. Just used scraps from his shop. Here is a pic of my Mom n Dad inside my camper looking at it. Tight quarters with thre in there! They are in there mid seventys. Gene n Stella to yall. Also my dads 1990 Chevy 1500 gasser, he got it ne n it has 60000 miles. I thing its the prettyest colored truck chevy ever built! Gonna wstch the Belmont tonite n enjoy my moms home cooking!

Husker we have almost no snow but that winter we got several icy blizzards.

I know. I came down to Mooresville out of Kentucky through Knoxville, TN then through the Great Smokeys and down. Came through Kentucky two days after a big ice/snow storm, it was only like 50 out in Mooresville, headed back out north up I-77 up to West Virginia then over back to Louisville-St. Louis-K.C. then up to Lincoln. The snow that week before Christmas in the Appalachians was unexpected but beautiful.

Paul whats is that map of?

Map is a screen shot of a google KMZ file I've got set up to track your happy self as you weave and dodge about the country. It was a BMP file so if it doesn't display cause your OS on that pad computer is fighting back, I'll save it as a JPG from now on.

"Pins" should be at Orrum NC, Fancy Gap (town of) VA, and Saltville VA where last night's concert was.

Paul

2012-06-09 20.34.34.jpgHey Don n the rest of yall this is a pic of what u see sitting on the parents front porch. Thats Walker Mountain. Its about a half mile away n steep n rocky. That mtn is so bad that u fence in 1000 acres n call it a boundry for the cattle. U only fence three sides cause these mountains r dry and the cattle will turn back for water before they cross the mountain n get away. Its a wonderful beautiful place here with the lush valleys n hollers n mountains everywhere. I was raised here.

View attachment 33625Hey Don n the rest of yall this is a pic of what u see sitting on the parents front porch. Thats Walker Mountain. Its about a half mile away n steep n rocky. That mtn is so bad that u fence in 1000 acres n call it a boundry for the cattle. U only fence three sides cause these mountains r dry and the cattle will turn back for water before they cross the mountain n get away. Its a wonderful beautiful place here with the lush valleys n hollers n mountains everywhere. I was raised here.

Oops Gotta work on these photographis skill sets! LOL Turn the pc sideways folks!

You sure you don't just need to fix the porch a little? :hihi:

BTW, I know you have OD in your truck and wanted to mention being careful pulling all that weight uphill. You want to shift down out of OD for that to help keep your tranny temps cooler.

Bill, that pic looks alot like southern Oregon. Your description of the area sounds like it also. During the two years I spent down there, the last year I was living half a mile up a logging road and was only eleven miles from work in Grants Pass.

That's a nice looking rig your dad has there. Better tell him to tie that canopy down real good. I had one like it on the 93 Ford I had and really liked the tall back door on it. I wish the canopy on my 94 K2500 was like that, but for paying only $50 for it and being a match in color to my pickup I guess I better not complain.

Don

Paul dont change the map I just figured out how to use it. Way cool I enlarged it n then could see the yellow marking pins n u touch them. Thanks again!

Back