• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My trip, the lil 6.2 that could!

I had a swather over heat and the T stat stuck in a partially open position, it would run cool on cool days and hot when the weather was warmer. If yours is stuck you should hear the fan after the rad heats up though.

I don't know if the 93's have a bleed valve on the top of the T stat housing but if it does try to bleed any air out.

IDK, if everything is in good working order the 195 would be OK, but many have fixed a problem with a 180. A new T stat may be all that is needed.

Check for a bleed valve on the T stat housing first.

Gotta see that Pepp! Orielly supposed to have my Hayden fan clutch this mornin, gonna pick it up n install, test drive n then fuel up with wvo blend n hit the road tomoro mornin early. I changed the oil with Mobil delvac yesterday n put a new air filter on. How r the love bugs now? Once I cross the mountains do I need to put my homemade screen wire screen on my grill? So whats this about Dawn detergent or was it Downy that u use on the front of the truck for love bugs? The next leg is 200 miles to get to Franklin Nc and mine for rubys at Sheffield Ruby Mine. Gotta cross a bad mountain on Rt 26 in Tennessee! Will definitely test the fan clutch on that one! Had a hard time on that one a few years ago with a 454 Chevy Dually pulling 8 horses in a gooseneck stock trailer. Even harder goin down the other side! Gonna get a chance to test the " poor mans ac jake brake" going down! LOL Good thing is the mountain is easier to cross from this side. The other side is so long uphill that u stsrt to think its level but the truck keeps pulling hard! LOL

I assume you are talking about I-26 East from Erwin, TN. into NC? If so, yeap that one is pretty good climb to the state line. I-26 reaches its highest elevation of 3,760 feet at Sam's Gap (TN/NC Line). For 2 miles each side of the state line, its elevation is at least 3,000 feet . The next mountain is Buckner Gap (3370 FT.). That is the one you gotta pay attention to, it will burn some brakes up up real quick.

I guess you will be taking 23 & 441 South to Franklin maybe. If so you have some grades over that way also. Several different ones, but Cowee Mountain before you reach Franklin is one of the steepest ones.

I have attached a few links to I-26 in that area near the NC/TN line.

http://www.gribblenation.com/ncpics/i-26/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_26

No bleed valve. He to think this is gonna be another of those overheating while on vacation n blew the truck up threads!
Gonna have to see about being more positive than that Bill. You're just gettin' started...

Hey Bill, hang in there, you'll get it going.

I had a thermostat stick shut on my 67 Chev K20 once. I was on I-5 between Roseburg and Grant Pass, somewhere just south of Azalea, in other words, no parts stores for about thirty miles either direction. I ended up pulling the stat and putting it back together, hoping I hadn't torn the stat gasket too bad. You can be thankful you are with family and have parts stores somewhat close.

On another note, thanks BigR for that link to gribblenation. Those pics in there show off some beautiful country. When that site came up and I looked at those pics my first thought was southern Oregon. It sure does look like the hills of southern Oregon, especially where I-5 goes between Roseburg and Grant Pass.

Don

Keep the faith Bill, It's not uncommon for older T stats to stick after a overheat.

First off thanks a bunch BigR for the info n lonks! You are a heck of a gooMike d shotgun rider n I would ride with u on any trip.

Mike thanks for the kick In the butt about my attitude. There are no problems just better and greater opportunties right?

Leo I got the faith back afterall my darlin lil 6.2 aint gonna fail me! She just wanted to get this outa the way before I got out n the middle of nowhere! LOL

Headed to Marion now to get a tstat n oil cap.

Ok heres the scoop, the PO put a new thermastat in her right before I bought it last summer. He got it from napa. I could not find a Ac Delco tstat at a auto parts so I called the Chevy dealership. The parts man had to have my vin code to see which body style I had cause the tstats are different. I have the new body style so I have the new double spring tstat. He said the truck woild not do right with a aftermarket tstat! So I ordered it n the gasket. B about $60 with tax. I reckon thats why u have to get a ac delco because he said the aftermaket ones r not double spring. I just know this is the fix!!!!!! If so we need a sticky explaining the double spring thing to everyone. Thanks guys n I will let yall know the results, should be into the dealership tomoro morn.

I ran an after market one for about a year, it never worked right. The temps would climb higher than I liked then drop. This was just normal driving.

The AC Delco is much more uniform in temp. control.

Hopefully that takes care of your problem and you don't have any other issues, of any sort, during the rest of your travels.

Listening to the radio last night and Johnny Cash came on singing "I've been everywhere". Guess who I thought of? :D

So I ordered it n the gasket. B about $60 with tax.

Wow thats alot of $$. What part # did you get? 180 or 195? My AC Delco 195's are $15, but they are very hard to find now. Seems like they may have stoped making them????

Hey Nvw n Chief hang in there with me so I can brag when she is running cool again!

Leroy I did not get the part number over the phone but will let you know when I get it tomoro. Advance auto is supposed to stock the ac delco for 12.99 according to the inter net. There are two according to the dealership for 1991, the old body style 6.2 uses a 190 degree single spring, mine is a new body style n it uses a 195 double spring. They each use a different gasket too. May be rare cause the advance auto guy said they could not get ac delco any more when I called tge one in Abingdon. He said he could not get a 180 that would work in it. Lot of money but I would give a hundred dollar bill to know it was fixed and could pull the mountains without overheating!

Would this one work?

thermostat.jpg

ACDelco 131-91 Thermostat

Engine: 6.2L V8 Diesel OHV Distributorless Naturally Aspirated IFI Mechanical FI MFI

Trim: Cheyenne
Fitment Notes: 190f/88c Thermostat, DUAL SPRING TYPE

or is it the other one you weren't supposed to use...

Last edited:
Not sure but think thats the one ur not supposed to use. The correct one is a two spring and I only see one spring on that one.I know for sure tomoro when I get mine at the Chevy dealership. For $60 it should be gold plated. LOL

Back