• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Shop

So I learned something new about drill bits and my sharpener. So I never have paid much attention to the flutes on drill bits, but it turns out that they can be quite a bit different. I discovered this while trying to resharpen a 7/16 bit that I had broken, I first hogged off the broken end and got it to rough shape by hand. When I tried sharpening it I was having a hard time getting the center part to look right. Well after alot of fussing around with it I found the issue.
It had originally been a split point bit and evidently the flutes aren't ground as deep as non split point. When I put my calipers in the bottom of the flutes the non split measured .075 and the split point measured .175.
I assume that also gives the split point bit more strength as well. So I guess if I want to sharpen split points I could use this sharpener and then put it in my drill doctor to put the split point on.
Seems like alot of work so my guess is I probably won't do that much.

So those hinge pins are a real pain to drill. I only have one left but I found a spot near the end I couldn't drill at all, even with a brand new bit.
I'm not positive but I think they're cast out some cheap material and then surface hardened. I know the material changes quite a bit as you drill it. Doesn't run very true in the lathe either, I have to hold it pretty close to the end to get it to drill in the center.

So I bought a cobalt drill bit and even then I had to almost ram it to get it to start cutting, squawked like crazy for about 3/16" and then back to what it had been. So I got the pins done.IMG_20210323_113408.jpg
Got them installed, upperIMG_20210323_121724.jpg
And lowerIMG_20210323_121741.jpg
The upper and lower pins can only go in one way, if the door spring hadn't been in the way I would have put the grease zerk on the other end. As it is I'm going to have to buy an adapter to be able to grease the upper, the curve of the door won't allow me to use a regular coupler. I have an adapter that allows me to slide on at a 90* but I hit the door before it seats. I'll figure something out.

Make pins. After the machining/drilling process, with the pins being bright and shiny steel, heat them until they turn straw yellow. That is chisel/tool hardness. Do not douse them after heating, just let them cool on their own.

Back