• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Shop

Sooo..... Turned out they sent me the wrong arm,they sent me another and didn't want the other one back. Got it on and was struggling with tracking, adjustments didn't seem to make any difference. So I called Jet tech support and finally figured out that I had too much slop on the front ,idler, wheel. I thought that the slop was for adjustment room. Nope. So it turned out that the cast iron housing the shaft went into was wallowed out. Strangely enough that shaft was fine, it doesn't turn in the housing. So I chucked it up in my lathe ,man what an awkward thing to do. Couldn't get a super firm grip on it but finally decided it was close/good enough. Used a piece of pipe for the bushing. Also used some green locktight to make sure it didn't go anywhere. I used the tailstock to gently press it in as I didn't want to mess with my set-up.
All in all I thought it turned out pretty good, I guess I'll find out here in a bit when I install it and try the tracking.IMG_20200303_180051.jpgIMG_20200304_111639.jpgIMG_20200304_111631.jpg

So it looks like the main frame is tweaked. So to put the rear wheel back in alignment I need to make a U shaped tapered shim. I'm open for suggestions. LoL

Thinking about this I wonder if I wouldn't be better off machining the surface that the bolts go in? If I shim it I'd need to shim the other wheel too, but that would be pretty easy with the adjustment bolts on it

So I think I have a solution. For whatever reason, probably for final alignment, the drive gear is mounted to a circular plate which is in turn tack welded to the main housing. It's welded in 4 spots top bottom left right, so if I cut 3 of them I should be able to temporarily shim the plate where I want it and reweld. Hopefully it's that easy

So I wasn't happy with how the rear wheel was tracking still so I cut my tack welds and tweaked it just a little more. That ended up being a little too much but I had done some fairly small tacks. So I took my air hammer while my brother backed it up with a hammer. Ended up being perfect. So I did the rest of my tacks about 1/2 long and it shrunk enough to move the blade about 1/16" off the shoulder. Close enough I'm done messing with that part.
So I moved onto the guide arm's, not very happy with how they fit either. It's like the whole machine is tweaked. The roller block at the bottom of the guide arm wouldn't go up all the way so I ground on those until I got them to slide all the way. Even with it all the way up it could still go up more to be right. I'm seriously considering shimming the bar the guide arms slide back and forth on to let the blade be closer to the center of the slot for it.
Way more of a project than I anticipated.

Back