• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

    Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

    Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

    Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Shop

Messages
13,416
Likes
3,718
Location
alaska
Thread starter #282
So I've been looking like a chipmunk since Monday morning, got a tooth infection on a broken tooth. Couldn't get into see the dentist until Tuesday. So anyway that's my excuse for not finishing cleaning the shop. Instead I've been messing with my drill press. So the spider was missing one of the three arms and one of the 2 had been a hatchet repair. Also I discovered that the shaft that hold the spider had lots of slop.
So I picked up enough steel to make a bushing for the spring end (apparently missing) and also enough for 3 new arms.
Bushing was pretty simple as the id and od we're already the correct size. So I chucked it up in my lathe and trued up the end and ththen parted off what I needed. IMG_20181128_204137.jpg
Then I set about repairing the arm hole that was too big. I had a chunk of steel about the right diameter so I beveled the end of it and then brazed it in totally filling the hole. Then went over to my smaller drill press and set up the vise at an angle so as to match the good holes. Drilled it out and got the tap started on the drill press and finished it up by hand. IMG_20181126_112647.jpg IMG_20181128_143535.jpg

So then I set about threading the new arms I ended up cutting the threads with my lathe and then finished up with a die. Main reason was that was my first ever attempt at cutting threads. IMG_20181128_153246.jpg IMG_20181128_164030.jpg

So in the process of checking out how they fit I discovered that one of the holes that I'd thought would be ok was too loose, so I had to drill it out and brazed a plug in again.
I also discovered the spider shaft had quite a bit of wear on the splines she I ended up filing them flat so I could get the shaft in. No more than I'll be using this it will probably last me a long time. Still not sure what covers the spring side of things. IMG_20181128_205123.jpg IMG_20181128_205214.jpg

Also have the ball knobs coming for it too.
 
Messages
13,416
Likes
3,718
Location
alaska
Thread starter #284
Made some pretty good progress cleaning and organizing. Don't know if I'll ever be done. LOL IMG_20181129_171403.jpg IMG_20181129_171424.jpg

Also found out today that I get to change out one of the electric motors on my air compressor. Good thing I brought one up with me on my last road trip.
 
Top