• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Shop

So since I was missing the sheperds crook on my chute control I decided to try and make one. I thought it turned out pretty good. Problem is it didn't work for beans. I had wondered why the crank handle was kinda bent in several places and I think the OEM setup didn't work very good. So I got thinking about steering shaft u joints. Talked to my nephew,who works at a Polaris shop, to see if he knew where I could find one cheap. Just so happens that he had several new take off he'd kept from some sorta warranty upgrade or something. Anyway I cut one of the 2 joints off and turned down the ends to fit. Works pretty good now. Now the only thing is handle is not stiff enough. But oh so much better.IMG_20181029_214953.jpgIMG_20181029_215007.jpgIMG_20181029_215019.jpg

Put some side boards on my dump trailer. All in preparation for an upcoming coal run, and it'll be helpful for going to the dump too.View attachment 54478
You must be fairly close to Healey. My son worked as a mechanic/welder for Usabelli Mine for a few years. He loved that job, his wifey was pregnant and they already had one almost two years old, she could not handle the two year old, told Kory, I need You here NOW ! !
he quit, went home, after childrens was all born and not so troublesome, He got on with the municipality of Anchorage, Power plant operator and trainer. LOL

Getting to tired of not having much space in the shop, always in the plans was to have a shelf along the outside wall. So I made up these brackets, also found out I had a kink in the liner on my mig. So I borrowed my brothers portable Lincoln mig to finish them up. Turned out pretty good I think. Might do the other side too we'll see how my time goes.IMG_20181110_194608.jpgIMG_20181110_215324.jpg

Looks good. It's starting to look like you have some stuff in there. One day I am going to add some "hanging storage shelves" in 2 or 3 places. Some of those crank down units look interesting but a ladder is faster. I have several totes on upper shelves of stuff I don't use often. I would like to change them to clear and start labeling where stuff is. I forget where stuff has been put away and get agitated searching for things when I can't find something. Those upper shelves add time when looking for stuff.

Looking again is it sorta like a mezzanine? Is that the plan for the next expansion?

I can climb and stand on my shelving I might have to make a hanging catwalk now that I think about it.

I use some of that wire shelving as a shelf across some rafters and its nice to see through it and see what I put away.

@ak diesel driver
Wether to add more shelves on the other side is simple. If you know you have more stuff you need to keep, yup do it at the same time. If you dont have stuff you NEED, and if your wife is anything like mine- NO. More empty shelves and storage space will just mean more stuff to store that doesn’t get used! Haha. A dedicated roller ladder like in huge libraries is always fun to play on.

@schiker
Sir, you are talking warehouse mezzanine not a shelf! Haha.
Electric lowering... holy mass production system batman!
I think my wife wants you to plan out her future modifications to my garage!

Ya know those big black and yellow bins from home depot and costco (not interchangeable btw)? My wife has over 50. Yeah, and she watched Tiny Homes and says “Thats a good idea we should think about when the kids are gone.”o_O

Seriously, label each bin, box, etc with a number. Write down what is in each unit in a spiral note book you keep wherever you store the stuff. If your a computer guy, do a spreadsheet and you could just type in what you want to find and it will tell you what bin it’s in. Takes a few minutes on day 1, but everything after that is easy. Why keep the notebook you write it in? Because if you use computers but suck at it like I do and forget to back up the data... yup... suckfest. Back up the harddrive! Then maybe a backup for the backup! Haha For Now I am back to a sharpie and a ton that say “Christmas” or the 4 that say “July4” or the 1 that says “Will’s memorabilia” next to her 8. Haha.

Buy the stronger bins- the clear plastic ones break easy after a few years and don’t help you see what you need as well as you think they will. Plus the dont hold any weight to speak of. Ask me how I know- haha. If spiders and such are likely, some self taping foam strip on the top lip seals it perfectly.

I do write on some of the totes with a big sharpie and duct tape. Duct tape seems to stick best. Seen the number system and it works good especially if you have part numbers for items. Not quite as well with names of all sorts of stuff. I have bins for plumbing, electrical, camping gear etc (that might be dry rotted). I would like to modulate the bins better. The big bins you end up having to dig thru.

So I got the other shelf done. Also wired in my compressor permanently, stupid flex cost more than the wire. Also now that I'll have a little more room I brought in an OLD 3phase drill press I picked up about 10 years ago. Spent most of the afternoon freeing things up and cleaning and adjusting the moving parts and column. Eventually I'd like to strip it down in paint it but it's usable as is.IMG_20181124_180213.jpgIMG_20181124_180218.jpgIMG_20181124_180232.jpg

Are you going to out the 3 phase motor for a 240v one or use a frequency drive?

Also you could make a 3 phase drive unit if you have another 3 phase motor and a stronger 240v unit to drive the 3phase with a belt and use the 3 phase as a generator. That sucks up the most electricity, but if you have the extra one laying around can be cheaper since you wont use it all the time.

Back