• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My Shop

Unless you turn the gas on in the oven first, then light the match!
The Chicago news station had a post about throwing flour on a fire to smother it.

I messaged them but they never printed a retraction, ner nothin.

Maybe we should have had a fire, through flour on it and sued them, instead of telling them it wasn't such a grand idea

Throwing enough flour would smother a fire but only long enough to get it under control to douse it with water. mainly because it's not "in the air" and a large lump going boosh on the flames all at once. if it goes into a cloud of flower dust... well that's another ball game LOL

Throwing enough flour would smother a fire but only long enough to get it under control to douse it with water. mainly because it's not "in the air" and a large lump going boosh on the flames all at once. if it goes into a cloud of flower dust... well that's another ball game LOL
Why grain elevators and flour mills explode.

Core support is installed. Waiting to find a deal on some abs pipe to use in modifying the upper shroud half.
20231208_165934.jpg20231208_165721.jpgpicked up a 97 burb for parts today, supposedly has a new transmission. The engine is supposed to run and the part it needs is supposed to be inside. It also had these wheels and tires on it. 275/55/20 with pretty good tread, one tire has some waves on the sidewall but the others look good. Can get another on Amazon for about $203.

Attachments

• 20231208_165721.jpg
    20231208_165721.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1
So I couldn't find a scrap of 4" abs long enough, without buying something, so we used a piece of 2". Cut it so it was a little big, good thing because it shrunk about 1/4" both directions. Heated it with my weed burner flipping it over periodically. Then we laid some cutting edge steel on top of it until it cooled. Then we trimmed it up and installed the fan shroud so we could fit it better. Then we put some of the reinforcing wire in.
20231212_200914.jpg20231212_201000.jpg20231212_210548.jpg20231212_210556.jpg20231212_210611.jpgTomorrow I'm going to get some abs glue and see if it is compatible with the fan shroud material.

Get some that works on multiple types of plastic. Iirc, the fan shroud is imjection molded, fiber-reinforced polyethylene. It certainly isn't ABS.
The plastics epoxy I bought worked pretty good. It might have been jb weld. I think I got it at Menards

JB Weld Plastic Bonder
Available in at least black and tan

Last edited:
So I tried my hot air welder but no Bueno. Materials melt at different Temps, so I got out my trusty welder that I always use. It allowed me to control the heat and be able to blend the different materials together. Also using some black zip ties for filler where I need it.
20231213_130611.jpg20231213_130617.jpg

So I tried 3 different glues as well, from left to right abs glue, jb plastic weld, jb plastic bond. The abs glue peeled off pretty easily, the weld isn't fully hardened yet so was sticking fairly good but I think when it does harden it will peel off too, and the bond was about the same as the abs glue.
20231213_131758.jpg

Lots of luck trying to bond anything to polyethylene. Google and you'll see why. It is essentially solvent-proof, which is why it's used for things like gas cans, commercial dish machine soap, farm chemical containers for weed killers, etc. There is a special solvent used to bond polyethylene to polyethylene, and it is damn expensive, like $35 for a ½ oz tube.

Lots of luck on the welding of two dissimilar plastics together. Hopefully it doesn't fail between the two types or between the filler and either one. Guess you'll find out on the first few jolting bumps or -30° day/night.

Once it's all welded up, I'm curious if a good scuffing and covering the entire area with fiberglass would help reinforce it all. maybe even drilling though holes in the plastic and in the fan shroud for the fiberglass to bond through on both sides like a sammich in various spots encasing everything.

Back