• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My new truck

I bought a set of gabriel ultras when it was buy 3 get one free. They are a little firm but for $22 a piece I'm not complaining. They do ride better when there is a load in the back.

I have no offhand idea when I changed to the Gabriel's, I'd have to go back several pages of records to find it, but I am guessing it's been 200k+. I haven't even thought about them until it came up here

Maybe all paved roads never “exercised” them here and took them out sooner on the fleet trucks?

I dont even remember what the factory ones are- Delcos?
If you guys got that good of a run with them, it seems like the thead about batteries, almost everybody’s lasted nice and long- so why not go back to them?

Sorry to here about the bilsteins. I remember for sure running them on my ‘99 C3500 srw long bed. That thing empty on the freeway could shake your teeth out. Thats why I changed my stock ones, even though still good. The bilsteins helped but I only ran them a year or so before selling the truck.

Shocks in hummers btw- usually getting 75,000 miles. But when the tire with runflat weighs 150#- kinda don’t expect more. Guys with $$ get a set of adjustable racing shocks from Tom Cepek (Dick Cepek’s son runs the business now and is a nice guy) for about $1,200. Improves the ride really nice, which is impressive because a stock hummer already rides way nice- better than my now sold Mercedes or any of my pickups. Guys with $$$$ get the $10k Rodd Hall racing suspension like he used in baja and such. Like flippin Rolls Royce smooth. I’ll be sticking with the stock $25 each option. Maybe get fancy and do them early next time instead of waiting till they wipe out. I’m in the -$ department, haha.

There's only one option for the dually

I know yours is a dually and I'm a single but I thought that I'd report this here...
I contacted Bilstein to make sure that I got the right ones, they told me

24-104050 Front
24-025683 Rear

I only opted for the fronts for my k3500 SRW.
That was three years ago and many miles (not sure the number but I drive it daily and made a couple RV trips) and they are running fine and ride great. I even get comments from people on the ride quality in a truck.

Weird such varied experiences from different rigs.

I was wrong... I installed Monroe shocks at 156k. So these have 173k on them. But it's 95% highway or paved roads. still holding up great.

It was like they didn't have much rebound/ dampening. Soft for lack of a better word. These Bilstein are like that too. Buddy of mine who owns a shop grabbed my front bumper and started pulling and pushing up and down he could get the front end to go about 6" without a ton of effort.

I am assuming OE have less dampening.? Note the shock I saw fail was driving slow and rolled over a big tree root and the weight shifted harshly. I just picture a heavy load in your truck and you rolling over rough terrain bouncing hard on the shock and it blowing out?

I am guessing a slow impact is harsher than one at speed where the impact is for a very short duration vs slow moving the shock has to continue to travel and this is where cold might make a difference???? Just a theory. The Bilisteins didn't make my truck magically turn into a caddy. My OE were shot and Bilisteins were popular. I think they are shot now.

Or the modern age... LOL
129_1205_01%2Bsix_pack%2Bmetalcloak_six_pack_shock_exploded_view

I know yours is a dually and I'm a single but I thought that I'd report this here...
I contacted Bilstein to make sure that I got the right ones, they told me

24-104050 Front
24-025683 Rear

I only opted for the fronts for my k3500 SRW.
That was three years ago and many miles (not sure the number but I drive it daily and made a couple RV trips) and they are running fine and ride great. I even get comments from people on the ride quality in a truck.

Weird such varied experiences from different rigs.

Same as what I got
  • Includes: | * 2 - Bilstein # 24-104050 Front Shocks, 46mm | * 2 - Bilstein #24-025683 Rear Shocks, 46mm

So I had to talk to bilstein directly to get any response from Southwest speed (vendor). So the warranty procedure is to send them in via UPS or Fedex and then they'll decide on warranty. This would require my truck to be without shocks for a couple of weeks I'm guessing. Or I can pay for new ones and they send me new ones and then I send them in and get refunded for the ones they decided to warranty. I'm not real comfortable with either option as I wasn't impressed with them from the get go. Thinking of cutting my losses and getting something different. Thoughts?

Back