• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My new Beast/DD: 2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT

Thanks Mike! It needs a full detail, tons of swirls in the paint, but it's a 10 footer for sure!

Over my fall break I'm going to do plugs and wires, as well as a few other mods. Looking to get a tune/tuner soon...

Thanks for the info Mike! I'm gonna do as much paint correction with my Porter Cable D/A first, but that black wax looks promising! And I have a crap-ton of Detail spray, so I'll use all that up first, lol.

Good to know. I'll need a diff that can hold the power. The Corvette is out because of its design. I'll google it and see what they look like.

Camaro and G8 share pretty much the same chassis, and the diff for sure. My car has 2.92, GXP Auto's had 3.27, Camaro's had 3.45, GXP Manual's had 3.70. Just FWIW. All have LSD.

Thanks guys. Put almost 800 miles on this week. It's been great so far! Looking forward to doing some maintenance (plugs, wires, etc), and a good detail the weekend after next. Also need to find wheels for my snow tires to put on it. It came with 19's, but I definitely don't want to make these wheels any worse than they are. I have a set of good 17" tires at home, so I just need wheels that fit the G8 bolt pattern...

So I gave it a quick wash and took a drive, ended up at this boat launch area I'd been at before, kinda the only open spot on what is likely the last beautiful Sunday afternoon here in MN. So here are some of the good pics that I managed to get. ;)

10020772574_f0cc38268d_z.jpg

10020769694_6082d8bc33_z.jpg

10020815815_430f5b8e8c_z.jpg

10020798575_d9b8107882_z.jpg

10020764884_13e7208576_z.jpg

That one you can kinda see how meh the paint is right now. I plan on fixing that!

10020759064_2559b989a7_z.jpg

10020885773_d4e37fdbc7_z.jpg

10020805876_f66bdc53ce_z.jpg

10020751774_4e38fd9f2b_z.jpg

10020881403_421f3ecc99_z.jpg

10020797605_7f75fd089b_z.jpg

This weekend is my fall break. It's getting plugs and wires, a full detail and good wax, and just a good thorough inspection. I have Sunday - Tuesday, essentially...

Good wax and that'll really pop Ed.

And stop it! :nonod: There'll be plenty more nice Sundays. :agreed:

I can't believe the size of that air filter on there. That sumbitch is huge. I've always liked G8s and the front end of Pontiacs, having owned a 2000 Grand Prix GTP.

I test drove a Caprice recently. They flat out haul ass, sound good and have really strong brakes. Supposedly, I have one on order to replace my 2010 Crown Vic with 111k on it. I guess they take 4 months or so for the order to go in, until delivery from Australia.

My only complaint (so far) was the road noise. It seemed loud inside and you could feel every bump and hear everything. The Camaro is like that too. Evidently GM doesn't insulate anything.

Hm, I know one of the big things with the G8 is how quiet they are, insulated glass and everything. I know the exhaust on mine is a little loud, especially in the backseat.

Yeah, basically the Caprice is the G8 GT with a couple more inches of legroom, IIRC.

Air cleaner is big, but overall smaller than the one I had on my S/C 3800, although that was longer and skinnier.

I am definitely loving the car. Much better fit for my 6'6" ass, more comfy, and a lot more fun. Not to mention, it's getting as good of mileage on Regular as my SSEi got on Premium. Never did figure out what the deal was with that one...

Also, went and got a GoPro yesterday, so we might have a few videos on a "closed course" to show off this weekend. :hihi:

So I had a bit of a weird issue last night. A buddy of mine and I were going to grab some dinner, then go see a Movie. Driving down a major thoroughfare in Mankato, all of the sudden my Alternator light kicks on, which I think is weird. Then my temp gauge goes to full hot and "Engine Hot" light comes on. I manage to pull into the parking lot where I'm going and pull into a spot, expecting to find no belt. Pop the hood, belt is all there. Start the engine, accessories spin for a moment, then stop. I look down, the balancer isn't spinning, while the bolt in the middle is. We go inside and eat and let the engine cool off, then make our way down to the Advance we drove past. End up having to buy a 1/2" ratchet and 24mm socket, because they wouldn't let me borrow them. Tighten the bolt up, start the motor up, shut down and re-tighten a couple times. From there it was fine the way home, but this should've never happened.

I then remembered from the Carfax that it had had some camshaft work done at the dealer that we bought it from. Obviously the balancer had to come off to do that, and it really led me to a couple conclusions: Either the Torque-To-Yield balancer bolt wasn't replaced or it wasn't torqued properly and obviously no loc-tite was used. I'm going to call the dealer Monday and see if I can get any answers out of them.

My question for you guys: Would I have done any damage to my balancer or crank? Should I expect to be replacing this balancer? There are some nice aftermarket ones that would sure fit the bill for a replacement...

I would be concerned that the interference fit is now gone and is why it was spinning. Hopefully the end of the crank is still good and not damaged.

Back