• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My new Beast/DD: 2009.1 Pontiac G8 GT

Ed HD

Formerly: Dad's 05 LLY
Reaction score
Might as well put this in here, as it will always be a project!

Bought this today to replace my 03 Bonneville SSEi. It's a 2009.1 G8 GT, Panther Black Metallic, 2-tone Red/Black Leather, Sport and Premium packages, 70k miles, and a Cold Air Intake and axle back exhaust. It's very comfy, very fast, and very RWD. I truly love it.

Pics:

557541_10200551369448350_1858888345_n_zpsbc519579.jpg

I'll get some better pics soon, these were as we were getting dinner. I'm very happy. It's the first car to my name officially, and I'm glad it was this one.

The 6.0L L76, basically the LS2 with LS3 heads, and less HP, lol. Same as the truck L76, but minus VVT. 361 HP, 385 HP. 6L80E trans.

Thats bad ass. A keeper for sure.
Im actually buying a L33 engine engine tomorrow for a mid engine kit car build. Its just a 5.3 with aluminium block and heads. Heads are same as Corvette 243 casting I think. I wish I could afford the 6.0
Have fun and if you wreck it and total it before tomorrow I'd like to buy the engine from you :hihi:

Hahaha. It's still here! Did piss off a campus security officer with it. I guess getting it sideways and blowing by him at 80 was not as fun for him!

Hahaha. It's still here! Did piss off a campus security officer with it. I guess getting it sideways and blowing by him at 80 was not as fun for him!
:rof: That's funny shit Ed! :hihi:

Nice. :thumbsup: I REALLY like the G8s. Damn shame they died with Ponco but the platform will be resurected in Impala

:rof: That's funny shit Ed! :hihi:

Nice. :thumbsup: I REALLY like the G8s. Damn shame they died with Ponco but the platform will be resurected in Impala

It didn't die, it's now called a CAMARO. The CAMARO uses the G8 chassis and drivetrain. And GM now builds there new cutlass for police which is built using the old G8 platform, but it is only available to law enforcement.

The Chevy SS is also the G8, just with the new VF updates, since Pontiac had the license for the VE platform in the U.S. for sale to the general public, hence why they had to wait till the update to make the SS, and the Caprice was only for sale to Police and Gov't Agencies. The Caprice "cop car" was the longer wheelbase version of the VE platform, with the 9C1's having steelies, dog dish caps and no console, and the 9C3's having the G8's console and decent wheel covers. 9C1 is what you see as a patrol car, 9C3 is the unmarked "detective" car.

Thanks guys! I'm really happy with it, especially the hoonage (goofing off). Who'd have thought you can get a car with 4 big guys in it sideways? :hihi:

Well since Ed posted I found out the L76 also came in Chevy/GMC 1500 trucks. Vortec Max, 6.0 Im sure there is some difference like intake or??
I can probably find one out of a truck cheaper than the G8, GTO Camaro....

You guys know of any? Im will to pay shipping. Im actually working a deal right now for $2000 shipped, just waiting on some pictures.
I can get the 5.3 for $800 though. What would you guys do?

BTW nice car!

Leroy,
Depending on your goals... I suggest you save up for the more fun LS2 6.0L 395 HP 400 LBFT or 400/400 depending on what it came out of.

5.3 is an ok engine and will respond nicely to a turbo in say a 5.3L Trailblazer. Piston slap noise cold on the short skirt pistons and typical production slop will drive you nuts. 2002 was the last year of the cable throttle - my preference.

The 6.0 LS2 has a nice 6500 RPM red line. Depending on the application the oilpan it has a pickup in the front on Trailblazer SS's. This is correctable with aftermarket... Launch it and loose oil pressure and eventually rod bearings at the track. Intake heights are different between cars and SUV/truck. The 2006 was the best year for computers that didn't go WOT nuts when they wanted like 2007+ do. The 2007+ also like to hang the throttle at a perfect 2000 RPM in neutral. The LS2 shootout has the Trailblazer SS come in 2nd only because they snapped the 3/4 ton rear axle shaft. Ever see a 4000 LBS SUV lift the front end off the ground at the track?

Yes, you got to pay to play. Good luck keeping anything but a 4L80E alive behind a LS2. 6500 RPM, sprag failure and stuff in the trans grenades at 12000 RPM.

I have a line on another 6.0 from 2006 GTO 45k miles (supposedly).

Sorry for the highjack.
I like that G8 alot.

Difference in the trucks is that it had Variable Valve Timing. The G8's was the only L76 that didn't have VVT.

LS2 is a great motor as well. 400 HP in a likely fiberglass kit car should scream. It's not an SLC, is it? ;)

Thanks everyone. I'll keep this thread up to date with all the mods/upgrades. So far I located and turned up the bass gain to high, but it still needs new speakers something fierce.

Difference in the trucks is that it had Variable Valve Timing. The G8's was the only L76 that didn't have VVT.

LS2 is a great motor as well. 400 HP in a likely fiberglass kit car should scream. It's not an SLC, is it? ;)

I got the pictures from the guy with L76, looks good to me, but I can only take his word.
So do you know What the VVT will mean for me? Any drawback you know of?
My plan is to go with a stand alone harness, so I "might" can turn that off if needed.
I stumbled on a second 6.0 today. Guy says it in a GTO. Waiting for him to call me tomorrow.

We NEED video of it roasting the rubber off. I know that beast can do it, and who doesn't want to hear a 6.0L getting with it. And I can't let the wife see this, I made her settle for a G6(I'm the only one that needs to be able to do rolling burnouts).

Back