• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My full manual 4l80-e

Well I got it running again. I had to drill a bleeder hole in the valve body to get any lockup at all. Now the tcc has a delay when disengaging. The stall still peaks at 3000,and lockup slips any time with full throttle. Shift firmness stayed the same also. I could live with stall if the tcc wouldn't slip,the only time there is no slippage is about half throttle.

I returned the torque converter,to Landis Converters,they are going to lower the stall as much as possible. I called all the major converter companies. Suncoast,Precision,and Patc, are the only ones that can build a triple disc. Sucoast said 1800 stall,Precision said maybe 1600 at the lowest,and Pact was very sure he could get it to 1200. Who ever I talked to at Patc acted like he new it all,which made me think he didn't. I don't trust them. I called Bd , Recon,and Hughes,they are all single disc. I'm amazed that no one else thinks their stall is to high,I've seen 6.5 videos,were the tach stays at 3000,that's all converter slippage.

Which valve in the valve body adjusts line psi ? It doesn't look like it's behind the epc solenoid ? I want to install a psi gauge and adjust pressure ,once it's running again.

I returned the torque converter,to Landis Converters,they are going to lower the stall as much as possible. I called all the major converter companies. Suncoast,Precision,and Patc, are the only ones that can build a triple disc. Sucoast said 1800 stall,Precision said maybe 1600 at the lowest,and Pact was very sure he could get it to 1200. Who ever I talked to at Patc acted like he new it all,which made me think he didn't. I don't trust them. I called Bd , Recon,and Hughes,they are all single disc. I'm amazed that no one else thinks their stall is to high,I've seen 6.5 videos,were the tach stays at 3000,that's all converter slippage.

I would NOT deal with PATC under any circumstances. They have plenty of bad reviews out there with chipped clutches and damaged converters arriving. Precision of Tennessee is who I would reccomend dealing with for a triple disc, but I just can't see a 6.2/6.5 being able to make enough torque down low to need more than a billet single disc. Theres people out there running the 5.9 CUMMINS backed by the 4L80E and getting by with the torque converters, so it sounds like you just need to get a good billet one. Look at Mike Woods MUSTANG, he's running a 4L85E behind his DURAMAX in the MUSTANG running 4 digit HP numbers with nitrous, so it can be done.

Which valve in the valve body adjusts line psi ? It doesn't look like it's behind the epc solenoid ? I want to install a psi gauge and adjust pressure ,once it's running again.

The EPC solonoid controls line pressure in the range by controlling how much pressure it puts on the actual line pressure valve in the pump.

I got my converter back. It now has a billit Sonnex piston,lower stall,a different clutch disc, and welded damper. No idea what it will stall,but he made it as low as possible. I called Trans-Go,about upping the lockup pressure,he was not overly helpful,and basically said it's not possible. I know that's not true,since Sonnex makes a different valve and springs,for firmer lockup. Plus I already did one mod that made it lockup firmer,but needs some more tweaking.

I got my converter back. It now has a billit Sonnex piston,lower stall,a different clutch disc, and welded damper. No idea what it will stall,but he made it as low as possible. I called Trans-Go,about upping the lockup pressure,he was not overly helpful,and basically said it's not possible. I know that's not true,since Sonnex makes a different valve and springs,for firmer lockup. Plus I already did one mod that made it lockup firmer,but needs some more tweaking.

Keep in mind that SONNAX is really good about selling things for problems that don't exist, and making un needed kits. They are not a really highly regarded company by many builders because of how they push this kit and that kit fr every problem.

The converter only stalls 1500 brake torquing now. Lockup still slips,and I think 2nd gear slips . The lockup feels way better in 3rd.

Tranny is coming back out. We are going to try the HD-3 kit. If the 4l80-e still won't work like I want it to its getting a turbo 400 or 5-spd manual.

[SUB][/SUB]
Tranny is coming back out. We are going to try the HD-3 kit. If the 4l80-e still won't work like I want it to its getting a turbo 400 or 5-spd manual.

you will miss OD. get the 5 speed.

#800.

The band for 2nd was torn from the stud in the case. 2nd and 3rd clutches are also a little burnt.

Finally got it on the road again HD-3 shift kit,new style wide band,and clutches. It's a lot better,but I can still slip second gear a little at full throttle up shifting only.

Finally got it on the road again HD-3 shift kit,new style wide band,and clutches. It's a lot better,but I can still slip second gear a little at full throttle up shifting only.

Something isn't right here. there is no reason for the 4L80E to be slipping behind even a hot 6.2/6.5. Theres guys out there running them behind 4 digit HP DURAMAX's without slippage, not to mention how many drag cars run them now as well with 1000+HP.

I need to put a pressure gauge on it. I also might remove the 2nd gear accumulator spring ? It also has the shallow pan,cavitates ? It probably doesn't help that I shift to second and lockup at the same time. I'll check it tomorrow with lockup turned off. I'm also running a vacc pump and regulator,it does go to 0 at full throttle,and 15 at idle.

Well I got a gauge,just need to install it. I'm running it now without vacuum. I believe the convertor slips more than the trans,only when engaging lockup under too much load. Also the convertor locks up on its own when it's cold,and won't unlock unless I shift into first or neutral.

Line psi stays at 200 on part throttle upshifts. Full throttle up shifts it will drop to 150,if I try to lock the convertor at the same time it will drop to 80 psi. I think it might be the shallow pan,oil sloshes to the rear. That would make sense why its so much worse for second gear.

Line psi stays at 200 on part throttle upshifts. Full throttle up shifts it will drop to 150,if I try to lock the convertor at the same time it will drop to 80 psi. I think it might be the shallow pan,oil sloshes to the rear. That would make sense why its so much worse for second gear.

Not a bettin' man, but I'd bet you're lack of line rise (thus, hudraulic pressure that clamps the cluches to 'go') is due in part to no vacuum to the Modulator.. Since you're running boost, it will be hard to get a good vacuum that's RELATIVE to throttle position and load like a N/A gasser.

You may want to call the Transgo team about your situation..

I know it's spendy but I'd probably lean towards an Optishift controller.

I overfilled it by 1 qt . Pressure no longer drops at full throttle. Very impressed with it now.

Modified the way the converter clutch regulator valve works,and modified the solenoid. Now I can shift lockup and second at the same time,and nothing slips. It will kick the Tahoe sideways. Finally does what I wanted it to do.

that was a long road! is there a way you would take a vid of the shifts and list the mods that were beneficial? they are spread all over and hard to sort out.

What helped the most was that it needed to be overfilled. I have the tcc regulator valve set at full line psi constantly. I had to modify the tcc solenoid,only because it would go into lock up on its own when cold. Next time the tranny's out I want to work on the remaining two valves that control lockup.

Back