• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My full manual 4l80-e

The tranny would randomly loose 3rd,and made some grindings sounds. I decided to try and fix it on my own this time. The grinding sounds came from an exploded thrust washer,and all the needles went through the two rear planetaries. Also the the first clutch pack is burnt,because the support bolt was loose. I have it back together up to the second gear band. Used a washer from an old turbo 400,I also discovered that the 400 had a plastic spacer inside the reverse drum,and the 4l80 didn't. Since it fit I swapped it over,probably not important ?

Well it works. I used a different converter,stall is 2000 rpm brake torque,and 4000 rpm at full load and boost while driving. Take off from a dead stop is lots better now,but I have to lock the converter more often or it just goes into stall.

The trans decided to go into 2 gears at once,and is burnt. I think it has a crossleak in the Transgo seperator plate. I checked the shift valves,they are perfect, and double checked all the drilled holes. It all matches the instructions. I got another trans for parts,this time it's not getting anything Transgo. I'm going to make my own shift kit and manual controller. I also want to dual feed the direct clutches internally.

Well I got going again,homemade shift kit,controller,internal dual feed,and removed the centerlip seals in the forward and direct drum. I couldn't understand why 2nd gear would slip,full throttle only. Third was better than it ever was. Tore it all apart again,and the clutches were fine. Turns out that sprags can slip. It was even the better 34 or 36 element. I installed a old style th400 roller clutch and drum,they can't slip,the design is different. Now it will chirp the tires when upshifting to 2nd,and 3rd,at full throttle. Also doesn't delay 3rd like both Transgo kits did. Only complaint now is the convertor,it's a stock low stall,but will stall 3000 rpms when driving. Brake torque stall is perfect 1,800 rpm.

That hardcore haha

I had the hd2 kit installed in my tranny, 1500miles so far and no complaints.
Tires brake lose going to second wot

Back